OT.... Fundraising Raffle Question

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Adobe Walls
Levergunner

OT.... Fundraising Raffle Question

Post by Adobe Walls »

Howdy.

Long time no post here.

Need some opinions. Would a gun raffle be a good way to sell off some of my firearms while at the same time helping to raise money for a local church charity? I am simply unable to accept some of the fractional offers I've received, and a local charity is in need of funds too, so I thought that a raffle might be a way for me and a worthy charity to raise needed cash. Suggestions are encouraged.AW
rimrock
Levergunner 2.0

Re: OT.... Fundraising Raffle Question

Post by rimrock »

not sure about your state, but Texas has some pretty strict rules on public raffles. Wouldn't want a "family" member to get on the wrong side of the law.

rimrock
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

If you can get it all legal, I'd sure like to see what you are putting up for the raffle. For a good cause I will donate and not even care if I win.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

rimrock wrote:not sure about your state, but Texas has some pretty strict rules on public raffles. Wouldn't want a "family" member to get on the wrong side of the law.

rimrock
Ditto.

In some states a "raffle" needs to either be held by a bonafide charity AND/OR the holder must get a gambling permit.

Also there must be safeguards for the transfer of a firearm - which must be done through an FFL - as well as appropriate legalese stating that if a ticket buyer is "prohibited" it's their loss, etc.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

rimrock wrote:not sure about your state, but Texas has some pretty strict rules on public raffles. Wouldn't want a "family" member to get on the wrong side of the law.

rimrock
he's right, you should check with your state's Attorney General's office for guidelines on charitable raffles. You may be unable to recoup the value of your guns as 'overhead' from the raffle.

BTW, if it is a church charity, you need to check with the churches about rafffles. I know some denominations frown upon them.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!