Whats the oldest gun you own

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Whats the oldest gun you own

Post by RIHMFIRE »

1871 38 rimfire rolling block
only have one bullet!
my grandfather bought it in the 60s on
the side of a country road...it was displayed in a huge moose rack..
I remember that day like it was yesterday...
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Whats the oldest gun you own

Post by Ray Newman »

Edwin Wesson .44 cal. muzzleloading target rifle, made in 1846-48.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

1842 Springfield Musketoon made in 1847 in 69 caliber. It was probably used in the Mexican War, then rifling was put in and it was used in the Civil War. After that It was probably sold to a civilian or taken home by a soldier. Then stolen by a Comanche or Kiowa. Then taken back by a pioneer family during a fight with Indians around Goldthwaite, Texas. That is the story I got from a family in Goldthwaite. It had been in their family for over 100 years.

"That'll Be The Day"
Chas.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Chas. »

Not very old compared with many here - Winchester Model 1897 made in 1912.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

A ca. 1890 Stevens Arms & Tool No.36 Gould Model .22 Target Pistol.

adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

Recently sold my 1872 NYS roller in .50-70

So now it's a toss-up between the 1882 vintage S&W DA top break in .32, or a Birmingham-made SXS from a maker gone by 1890....
Certified gun nut
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

These three. A double barrel 50 caliber pin or teat fire pistol. A old collector friend gave it to me 40 years ago. No makers name or any proof marks. Must date to 1840s. My buddy thought it might have been a "boarding pistol" for pirate or sailor as it has a couple screw holes for a clip for a sash. The S&W american dates to 1870, has had the barrel chopped back. It was found in a old barn being tore down in montanna at a old stage stop. The 1858 new model remington probley dates in the late 1860s.
sureshot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by sureshot »

1859 Sharps .22 Short pepperbox.
Lots of fun to shoot with CCI CB Shorts. :D

Steve
Last edited by sureshot on Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Carl Gustav 1894 Swedish Carbine in 6.5X55....1898 manufacture. My Grand Dad bought it back in the 50's, still in the cosmoline, but my Dad chopped at it a bit.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

My W W Greener 12ga.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

S&W #1 .22 short, made in the late sixties, 1860's. Still works great and I shoot it from time to time. I've had older ones.

Rihmfire, I can find you some 38 rimfire ammo--I believe I have a few laying around. pm if interested.
BTW, Targetmaster has an exact duplicate RRB of yours for sale except its a 32 rimfire.-------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

1890's hammer 12 bore - by Midland guns -

Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

1899 Winchester 1894, .30WCF. I need to dig some out and do a photo inventory...
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Norwegian 7.5mm Nagant, Belgian made 1895:

Cheers,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
pdentrem
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pdentrem »

Marlin 1893 rifle in 30 WCF with 28" octogon barrel, full magazine, takedown built around 1895
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Parker 20 ga made at the turn of the last century, 1900.

CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

An old Hopking Allen Forehand 12 guage single-barreled shotgun, made soemtime between 1902 (when Forehand Arms weent belly-up and became hopkins Allen Arms) and 1914 (when Marlin absorbed Hopkins Allen, bringing an end to the long line of companies originateing with Ethan Allen),

Big Daddy bought this old shotgun ninth or tenth hand back in the late 1930's or early 1940's, he paid the grand sum of $5.00 for it. He gave it to me when I was 17 or 18, FWIW, it was the first shotgun I ever fired and it kicks like a mule.

The old scatter gun has a 32" barrel and walnut stock with surprisingly good figure. Finish is non-existent and the bore is badly pitted and the stock is cracked at the wrist. Value? Probably about the same as it was when Big Daddy bought it over 60 years ago. But I'd not swap it for a stack of $100.00 bills as tall as the shotgun is.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

The average age of my modest collection of guns is just over 100 years old. My oldest rifle is a Winchester Model 1876 made in 1886. My oldest (and only) sixgun is a Colt SAA built in 1882 and my oldest shotgun is a side by side hammerlock made by Clabrough and Bros. around 1882 plus or minus a bit. My newest rifle is a Winchester Model 94 made in 1954.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

Winchester 1886 in 45-90 made in 1891.

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
fknipfer
Levergunner

Post by fknipfer »

1851 Adams blackpowder double action pistol. I'll bet you think S&W had the first DA but they didn't. This revolver was made in London, England and used by the British Army in several conflicts.

fknipfer
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

rangerider7 wrote:1842 Springfield Musketoon made in 1847 in 69 caliber. It was probably used in the Mexican War, then rifling was put in and it was used in the Civil War. After that It was probably sold to a civilian or taken home by a soldier. Then stolen by a Comanche or Kiowa. Then taken back by a pioneer family during a fight with Indians around Goldthwaite, Texas. That is the story I got from a family in Goldthwaite. It had been in their family for over 100 years.

Now, THAT's a story!

WOW!
jorgy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jorgy »

I have a small frame deluxe 1881 32/40 Marlin with DST. It was made in
1886. The bore still shines like a new dime.
Haycock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Haycock »

Sad to say, currently my oldest gun is a 1930 Winchester Model 75 Target rifle. Used to own older pieces, but alas... no longer.......

Haycock
The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned. - PA State Constitution
Nazgul
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Nazgul »

1894 Marlin 38-40 made in 1894. Belonged to my grandfather. he died when my father was 4 years old.

Don
Motex66
Levergunner

Post by Motex66 »

Trapdoor Springfield 1884 Cadet. I think without looking.
rodeo kid
Levergunner 3.0

Post by rodeo kid »

Model 1903 Winchester, born in 1912. One original box of .22automatic cartridges. God Bless.
Member : NRA
Oklahoma Rifle Assoc.
NPPAS

TRUISM: if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. So, my advice is: Buy more guns!
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Sixgun wrote:S&W #1 .22 short, made in the late sixties, 1860's. Still works great and I shoot it from time to time. I've had older ones.

Rihmfire, I can find you some 38 rimfire ammo--I believe I have a few laying around. pm if interested.
BTW, Targetmaster has an exact duplicate RRB of yours for sale except its a 32 rimfire.-------Sixgun
About 10 years ago i spotted a couple boxes at a gun show.....
100 bucks for a sealed box of 50 :shock: I'll pm you
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
MtnGun
Levergunner

Post by MtnGun »

A Ballard .32-40 is my oldest. I did own a couple longrifles that were some older, but they slipped away
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

The oldest working gun I own is an 1863 Purdey 12b that belonged to the Earl of Sefton. The oldest gun I have overall that I wouldn't shoot is a pistol from the Ottoman Empire that is dated to the early 1700's ,that was discovered in an excavation in what is now New Egypt in 1976. It is something around a .69 caliber with a percussion ignition that goes back to the infancy of percussion. The curator told me it would have belonged to an Officer or someone of royal decent based on the embellishments with brass, copper, bronze, silver and gold. The action still cocks and the hammer falls when you pull the trigger!
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Nothing I currently own is all that old. The most aged would be a Winchester 1886, caliber .38-56 WCF, that was made in 1890. Despite being a rifle that was undoubtedly fired with highly corrosive powder and priming the bore is in excellent condition, a testament to the care it received from the previous owners. :)
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Here is my oldest. It is a 1871 Remington Military Rolling Block in 45-70. It is in great shape and is fun to shoot. :D

Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Colt "Old-Line Open Top" 1872. I do have a pinfire from about the late 1840's, but it is not functioning at the moment, so I won't count it! :D
lthardman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by lthardman »

I think the oldest guns I have are an Allen & Thurber Pepperbox (.31)and a Sharps Pepperbox (.22 short) I just picked up. Both date back to about 1860. But, the oldest guns that I own that I currently shoot are:

An 1873 Springfield Trapdoor in .45-70:

An 1884 Springfield Trapdoor also in .45-70:

And, one of my favorite shooters, a Winchester Hotchkiss Model 1883 Magazine bolt action in .45-70:

"Now it cuts like a knife, but it feels so right." - Bryan Adams
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Model 1889 Marlin made in 1892, great shooter despite a pitted bore :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

fknipfer wrote:1851 Adams blackpowder double action pistol. I'll bet you think S&W had the first DA but they didn't. This revolver was made in London, England and used by the British Army in several conflicts.

fknipfer
Actually, Colt had a DA revolver as far back as the early 1840's, I believe it had Paterson markings. The one proto-type I've seen in photos had a long two or three finger trigger to cock the piece and rotate the cylinder, and it had a built in cutlass blade, probably about 16-18" long, a la Elgin Cutlass Pistol.

needless to say, Colt never put this reolver into production.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

"Just" 1917, in the form of a great ol' Winchester 1894 saddle ring carbine, found at a pawn shop on a ten-degree day on the Western Slope in Colorado. Nicely used--but not abused--as the well-kept working ranch gun it probably was. It turned out to be a completely issue-free gun other than some dry wood easily rectifiable without "risking" a refinish.

Perhaps more interesting, however, is a find for a friend at a small local shop: a Colt SAA ca 1880. I saw it in the case, noted some finish problems (beyond the typical expected), but also noticed it was blackpowder era, so it was an old one--and raised interest further. I said nothing to the clerk. When my friend and I returned, we examined the gun further and decided it needed some faurly considerable work to make it into a silk purse,...but was still a steal, realizing fixing its "issues" might ultimately make it less so. Turned out it had been re-blued, but poorly--almost painted black, with major flake off sections--looking like an early post-64 Winchester. A subsequent visit to our Coltsmith also revealed a buggered up cylinder retention screw, actually requiring a re-tap/thread, but the fix cosmetically unnoticeable. Some internal clean up and adjustments, external de-finishing, basically further "antiquing" of an antique, and installation of appropriately worn--but not gone--period-correct hard rubber grips resulted in this stellar piece of history....and his (and my) favorite among many otherwise "superior" Colts in his collection. We haven't (yet) lettered the gun...more anticipation! .
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

1847 First Model Dragoon Colt Walker....Born in 1849 still works!

1873 Springfield Trapdoor...serial 130XX, still has firing pin spring so it predates 1876, but has 1877 rear sight.

1873 Winchester...made in 1881
Digger
Levergunner

Post by Digger »

I don't have any pics yet, but the oldest I have is a Fox Sterlingworth that was made in 1917. Still does a number of rabbits and birds, but 2.5 in (12 ga) shells have been a challenge to come by.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Digger wrote:I don't have any pics yet, but the oldest I have is a Fox Sterlingworth that was made in 1917. Still does a number of rabbits and birds, but 2.5 in (12 ga) shells have been a challenge to come by.
That comment caught my eye. Do you mean 2.5" 12ga shells that are safe for this particular shotgun or literally 2.5" shells?

Thanks,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Markbo

Post by Markbo »

I gotta take some pics before I respond
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

Sharps 1859 Four Barrel Pepperbox -

Measures some .30 caliber rimfire - firing pin device rotates 90 degrees each time it's cocked. Cartridge is 308 - for size perspective.

Given to me by an older grateful lady patient - who inherited it from an ancestor.
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

Probably an 1850's dated Harper's Ferry 1842 model musket. I have a few other that are close in age, but that one is probably the oldest.
Digger
Levergunner

Post by Digger »

That comment caught my eye. Do you mean 2.5" 12ga shells that are safe for this particular shotgun or literally 2.5" shells?

Thanks,
Oly
Although I am sure that 2.5" artillery shells are hard to find, I was referring to 2.5 inch 12 gauge shells that are safe for this gun.
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Some neat stuff here.

Old Time Hunter can you post a picture of the Colt Walker. From what I've read, not many of them survived??
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Lawyer Daggit
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Lawyer Daggit »

19th century English Manton S/S 12 guage hammer gun with damascus barrels in poor condition.
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

I dont own any truly old firearms. My oldest would be a Smith and Wesson Victory Model 38. It was shipped in early 1943.
My oldest rifle is a 1962 marlin 39A.
I love looking at the photos some of you guys post of beautiful antique rifles.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

1969 Marlin 1894 .44 Mag (sorry ) :lol: :lol:
----- Doug
brno602
Levergunner 2.0

Post by brno602 »

I will have to line up my 99s one day and take a pic of them. My oldest rifle would be my 1906 made 303 savage 99 then it would be a mod 54 Win that when I bought it was a .30 Newton I think it is spelled that way? I had it re barreled to 308 Norma mag as the bolt face was already modded.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

1898 Krag Carbine

1993 marlin 30-30 mfg 1906

1890 Win 22 mfg 1896

Remington model 14 in 25 Rem. mfg 1912 .

Those are the oldest ones I have and they shoot.
the telegraphist
Levergunner 2.0

Post by the telegraphist »

S&W American, Russian first model, a reject from the 1st Russian contract. (Old, Old Model) shipped in September 1872.
Next is a Walther P38 made in February 1943 ac over 43 in excellent condition.
GUN CONTROL IS HITTING YOUR TARGET