Marlin 1894 C sights

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
bfm
Levergunner

Marlin 1894 C sights

Post by bfm »

Brought my new Marlin to a gunsmith to have an action job and a single piece firing pin installed. I had not yet fired the rifle. Upon shouldering it, the smith mention that the sights were pretty well out of alignment. Upon looking at it myself a few times, it almost seems like the front and rear sights are not on the same axis. Has anyone else ever seen this? Rifle has not been dropped since being bought new and there are no marks to indicate rough handling before purchase.

Thanks.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Yes I have had crooked sights on my Winchesters and Marlin lever guns.

MY Marlin 1894CS had a miss indexed barrel, both sights tilted to the same side.
My Win 9422 had a properly indexed rear sight dove tail, but the front ramp was attached crooked.

My Win 94AE Trapper has a properly indexed rear sight dovetail, but a crooked front sight.

This is more common than it should be. I sold the Marlin to pay bills, I had the 9422 sights fixed, and the 94AE Trapper will be fixed in the future.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Call Marlin customer service.

Send it back to them to fix it.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
centershot
Levergunner 2.0
Location: Wandering in the abyss of progressive liberal Nu Yorkistan

Post by centershot »

Joe,
Are you able to zero and shoot your Trapper with the sights misaligned like that? If you can zero at, say, 50 yds, does the point of impact shift left or right at longer range? Just curious.

centershot
"All who wander are not lost."
J. R. R. Tolkien
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Centershot,

The tilt on my Trappers front sight is slight. I found that I tend to cant the rifle to compensate and with the peep sight it hits OK out to 100 yards.
But if I forget to cant it it will shoot away from the sights.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
bfm
Levergunner

Post by bfm »

He was going to see if it would sight in. If not, it will go back to Marlin.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

bfm,

In this case I'd not waste a single round from it. I agree with FWiedner, send it back to Marlin and have them make it right. A crooked sight, or set of sights drives me nuts. I should have had the one on my Win fixed long ago, but I've just lived with it. And every time I shoot it, it drives me nuts.

Joe
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I had a new 39A where the barrel was screwed in crooked to the receiver, I sent it back and they redid it, it's fine. But before it shot way to the right and I had my front sight tapped over so far, it was truly obnoxious. Send it back, it's going to bug you.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."