OT: PETA Can Go To Heck...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Blaine
Posting leader...

OT: PETA Can Go To Heck...

Post by Blaine »

And my Doc, too......Sometimes, ya just have to fix up about 24oz of Rare Steak and a salad.... :D :D
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT: PETA Can Go To Heck...

Post by Pete44ru »

Gettin 'bout time for yer nighty-nite meds in an hour or two, eh, Blaine ? :mrgreen:

slimster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by slimster »

What're ya beefin' for? That's good eatin'...I wouldn't steer ya wrong!
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

What brought this on ???? Did I miss sometin again ??
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Pete44ru wrote:Gettin 'bout time for yer nighty-nite meds in an hour or two, eh, Blaine ? :mrgreen:

Yes, indeedy....... :)

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
slimster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by slimster »

Don't be such a ham Blaine, I'm bacon ya...
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Bart Simpson wrote:Don't have a cow, man!
Butcher not making any sense Blaine! What happened? Did you get accused of abusing Thor?
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
eric65
Levergunner 2.0

Post by eric65 »

YYYuuuummmm,,Steak! If yer gonna die, die eating steak!
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Eat steak, eat steak eat a big ol' steer
Eat steak, eat steak do we have one dear?
Eat beef, eat beef it's a mighty good food
It's a grade A meal when I'm in the mood.

Cowpokes'll come from a near and far
When you throw a few rib-eyes on the fire
Roberto Duran ate two before a fight
'Cause it gave a lot of mighty men a lot of mighty might

Eat meat, eat meat, filet mignon
Eat meat, eat meat, eat it all day long
Eat a few T-bones till you get your fill
Eat a New York cut, hot off the grill

Eat a cow, eat a cow 'cuase it's good for you
Eat a cow, eat a cow it's the thing that goes "Mooooo"

Look at all the cows in the slaughterhouse yard
Gotta hit'em in the head, gotta hit'em real hard
First you gotta clean'em then the butcher cuts'em up
Throws it on a scale
Throws an eyeball in a cup

Saw a big Brahma Steer standing right over there
So I rustled up a fire cooked him medium rare
Bar-B-Q'ed his brisket, a roasted his rump
Fed my dog that ol' Brangus Steer's hump

:mrgreen:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

beef...it whats for dinner....

thats the best sam elliott impersonation i can do here... :wink:
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

Post by brucew44guns »

Amazing how some in this world have tried to put a guilt trip on someone for setting down with a knife and fork to eat a chunk of cow meat. I don't know how long I could live if I had never tasted beef, but at 65 I'm still looking to grill a big T-Bone soon, despite Pita.
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

You don't get that in Alaska! Moose, it's whats for dinner!!
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Chas.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Chas. »

Now don't get me wrong. I dearly love my ribeyes, t-bones, porterhouses, and filets, but I believe I would opt for a good, thick center slice of country ham. Not just "Country Ham" that's listed on some restaurant's menu, but country ham that I KNOW is good. Too many times country ham really isn't country ham at all but somebody's idea of country ham.

Just my 2¢
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

:P Nurse Wratchett at VA is always on about portion size and veggies. Seems a palm sized piece of meat is all you can have....Once every couple weeks, ya gotta Beef Out :wink: Hey, Nurse, I'm havin' DONUTS at work this morning :twisted:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Stuff listed below is only IMO(I'm no doctor)---But that nurse seems kludged!
No issue having a 10oz grilled NY strip steak(no fat) every 3rd or 4th day "providing" the other stuff you eat is healthy.
Example:
Breakfast---nice hot bowl of oatmeal w/blueberries (coffee)
Lunch--2 Yoplait light Yoghurts and a banana (spring water w/lemon)
Dinner---10oz grilled lean NY strip w/ mixed veggies(no potato,dont need it) (coffee/tea)
Snack---2 rice cakes and a apple/ cinnamon (hot green tea w/lemon)
also 5-6 8oz glasses of water a day!

If it went like that every day changing up the meat the next 2 or 3 days with the chicken/Turkey/ or a lean pork roll for the days between you would be fine. (can also take a multi vitamin)
Its all the other stuff where you get in trouble snacking cause your still hungry eating the tennis ball sized peice of meat?

Work up to walking a couple miles a day and do "every night" 10 deep breathing exercises.(slowing breathing in through the nose/pursed lips as far as possible then holding it for 15 seconds and exhalling through the mouth. Do this while standing up and arms raised to the ceiling then lowering arms while breathing out. Actually the breathing exercises will build the lungs better than the walking.
willygene
Levergunner 2.0

Post by willygene »

peta only means one thing People Eating Tasty Animals.
slimster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by slimster »

images2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

PETA can kiss my... :evil:
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

7 or 8 oz Tenderloin cut (fillet) ---- mmmmmm -- can't beat it -- plus lower fat than a lot of the other delicious cuts out there too.

If your stuck on a limited beef diet, may as well make it the best you can get ! :D

I also do the "petite sirloin" cut too from the supermarkets butcher, but it requires a bit more precise temp. monitoring to ensure it doesnt turn out too tough or too rare due to the thickness ----- but also a really low fat cut (for steak - not compared to turkey maybe) and is what Outback uses for their "Outback special" plates

Oh man -- i have recently been grilling up some Tri-Tip now too as it has become more readilly available in my area ---- but its a volume cut , and almost demands consuming a big 'ol 12 oz. portion ------------ but the fillet? its so good you dont need that much :D

(note: if i only eat a 8 oz. fillet with some bread, i am usually hungry for more, but if i couple it with a big 'ol salad and some corn on the cob with a spray of no calorie butter substitute --- no problems)

Oh geez --- its now midnight and i'm hungry --- dont know if thats good or bad :roll:
----- Doug
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

BlaineG wrote:: Seems a palm sized piece of meat is all you can have....:
Ok, just make it 2" thick. :wink:

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

What I tell my patients is:

1. If they're fat or out of shape, then they need to exercise more, and eat less. If they're lean and in shape, they're probably eating and exercising enough already, and just need to eat the right foods and use appropriate medication to reduce their cardiovascular risk.

2. If their heart rate at work stays - for 30 minutes at a time - at 80% of 200 minus their age (the 'aerobic' range), they may count that time as 'exercise' - otherwise all their 'active' job does is wear them out so they are too tired when they get home to actually get real exercise. Seriously - not many guys get their heart rate to 120 or so for any amount of time at work...!

3. Since exercise is boring, get a recumbent magnetic bike (nearly silent, easy on the back and knees, and easy to adjust for shared users), and put it where there is a television or good stereo. Right in the livingroom if necessary.

4. They should not depend on the regular "LDL" cholesterol level - it is NOT a reliable measure of their 'cholesterol' risk (the number of particles, LDL-P, DOES correleate with risk, but many patients are not offered the test because it may not be covered by insurance, and the may even be penalized for ordering it, as it diverts profits away from the local laboratory insurance or the VA has contracted with). Getting an LDL-P such as the Lipoprofile from Liposcience is vital.

5. If their LDL-P to LDL-C ratio is over 16 or if their Trig/HDL ratio is over 3, they should be on a diabetic-type diet like the South Beach one, because they are likely on the verge of diabetes, and are at least insulin resistant. They should also get an insulin level, fasting and total testosterone levels, 25-OH vitamin D level, and 1 and 2 hour glucose tolerance test, in my opinion. Some doctors would add an A1C, HS-CRP, and Lp-PLA-2 test at that point, if the patient really wants to avoid heart attack or stroke (they will assume the patients who only want to do 'what insurance covers', aren't really that motivated to avoid heart attack or stroke).

6. Beef I think is ok, if the cholesterol is at goal, although I tell patients to avoid any meat with hormone residues (i.e. animals with 'pellet implants') - guys have enough problems with their "low-T" (testosterone dropping), and don't need synthetic estrogens on board to add to that problem, nor do women need extra and abnormal estrogens confusing their breast tissue.

Here's a typical dilemma we come across every day, in a case study:
http://www.lipidcenter.com wrote: I was contacted by a practitioner working in a CV clinic who stated "we have a diabetic patient with bad vascular disease who is on insulin, Lipitor 40 mg and Zetia 10 mg among other meds. He has had coronary stents in 2007 and 2008, has a pacemaker and ICD. His lipid and lipoprotein NMR results are as follows:
  • Total Cholesterol = 101
    HDL = 35
    Triglycerides = 92
    LDL = 48
    Non-HDL-C = 66
    TC/HDL-C = 2.8
    LDL-P= 980 (small LDL-P = 726)
The patient's cardiologist is suggesting that he decrease his Lipitor to 20 mg because his last standard lipid panel done by the VA (not an NMR) showed:
  • Total Cholesterol = 81
    HDL = 34
    Triglycerides = 43
    LDL of 39
The provider disagreed with Cardiology and stated "with his NMR results and the fact that his small LDL-P = 726, we wanted him to continue his current regime." My advice was sought.

DAYSPRING DISCUSSION: This is easy and the answer is supported by lots of studies and expert opinion. The provider is correct and the cardiologist is wrong. If anything makes the case for lipoprotein, in addition to lipid testing, this case does. No one would disagree this is a very high risk patient which deserves aggressive lifestyle and pharmacologic support.
Finally Alan Sniderman in a review of over 17,000 patients taking statins and having lipid panels, apoB and LDL-P measurements has commented on this phenomenon in the Journal of Clinical Lipidology 2008;2:36–42 and he states "Many patients who achieve LDL-C and non–HDL-C target levels will not have achieved correspondingly low population-equivalent ApoB or LDL-P targets. Reliance on LDL-C and non–HDL-C can create a treatment gap in which the opportunity to give maximal LDL-lowering therapy is lost.
Now having said all that, you should always check with YOUR physician(s) before making diet, exercise, or medication decisions. I'm just saying that too many physicians are NOT paying attention to the current evidence, because they are EMPLOYEES vs. independent professionals, and thus are more focused on doing what their employer rewards them for, which is going to be whatever keeps the most profits in-house.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "