Auction Alert, Browning 1886, with octagon barrel

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Auction Alert, Browning 1886, with octagon barrel

Post by Lastmohecken »

I spotted this gun a few days ago. There is only about 12hrs left on it. I though it might be of interest. It maybe too expensive, but maybe not. They're not making any more of these.[uhttp://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=90369359rl][/url]

I guess I can't post a link. I don't know why. I have been having some trouble with that and pictures lately.
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Currently at $ 1,430.00 and 14 bids so far. Very interesting to say the least. I'll bet it ends maybe another hundred bucks up.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Those numbers stamped into the side of the receiver below the loading gate would ruin it for me.
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

darn purdy!
John
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Whoever paid $1585 won't be selling it soon. That's a bit over the top for a Browning repro. I would much rather spend that money on a shooter original '86. :shock:
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
cubrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cubrock »

Mike D. wrote:Whoever paid $1585 won't be selling it soon. That's a bit over the top for a Browning repro. I would much rather spend that money on a shooter original '86. :shock:

Yeah. I have a buddy with a NIB one he'd sell me for just under a grand. Maybe I better give him a call and see if that deal is still good.... :shock:
.........THE TWINS..........

brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

Post by brucew44guns »

I paid 479.00 for mine in 1986, brand new in the box. It has shot 14 shots so far, but I'll shoot it more now since Im out in the sticks where I can blast something if it walks by. Right now it's buried in the back of the safe, but I don't recall ever seeing those numbers under the loading gate.
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

My SRC doesn't have those letters either. If it had, I would not have bought it.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

Those numbers are the serial number. What's the big deal? :?

FWIW, that price is not really over the top for a NIB B86. I have one that I bought in 1986 for about $450. I have shot it a bunch. $1585, would not buy it! :)

Cubrock: Run, don't walk, to buy yours buddy's at $1000! :P
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

Those numbers are the serial number. What's the big deal?

Ditto

If the serial number on the Browning 26" rifle offends the purists, then you need not spend another moment in your search for one, as they all have them.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Leverluver wrote:Those numbers are the serial number. What's the big deal?

Ditto

If the serial number on the Browning 26" rifle offends the purists, then you need not spend another moment in your search for one, as they all have them.
That's not the serial number. The serial numbers are under the receiver and a lot shorter than that magnificent string of numbers stamped into the side of the receiver. That long string of numbers is probably some theft ID that an owner had stamped into the side.
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

Sorry but that IS the serial number. It is the exact same number that is on the end of the box where it says "serial number". There are no other numbers on the Browning 86 26" anywhere. Later variants such as the 71s did move the # under the front of the receiver but not on these first 26" 86 rifles.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

I stand corrected. I am really surprised they would do something like that for the rifle version. I had a Browning 1886 SRC, but the serial number was a simple 4-digit number under the receiver. I am amazed that they would use such a huge number for their serial number and then stamp it on the side of the receiver. My apologies for giving bad advice. :oops:
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

No doubt they went way overboard with the digits. More specifically, I would call it a lot or production number. Although that big string is considered the whole serial number, only the last few digits are the sequential number that tells the order of production, such as anyone would be familiar with old, original Winchester numbers. I would have preferred that had not done it that way but they did and they all have them.
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

I think the B-92s have it on the side like that also.
Chad
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

71fan wrote:I think the B-92s have it on the side like that also.
Yep, but on the B92, the serial number is located on the right side of the receiver , forward and high, just aft of the barrel. :)
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva