Say you could create all the cartridges you need...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Say you could create all the cartridges you need...

Post by AJMD429 »

I know we've talked about the "what if you could have only 'x' number of guns?" topics off and on, but it is always limited by the factors of what has already been invented, been marketed successfully, and how it has developed since.

A person's answer also usually is colored by the chamberings he/she already owns.

Here's a variation on the theme.... :roll:

What if you had no guns to start with, and you could assemble a collection of handguns and long guns of either bottleneck or straight cases, and wanted the fewest caliber and cartridge cases to meet reasonable needs for normal 'gun' tasks - hunting, self-defense, home/ranch protection, and to preserve social stability (i.e. the 'militia' function)...?

It is fair to assume you'd have a .22 LR handgun, carbine, and rifle, plus a shotgun or two, but what handguns and rifles and chamberings/calibers would you 'invent' if none already existed?

I think that for instance, you could do with the .22 rimfires, plus 6mm (.243), 8mm (.324), and 10mm (.408), & 12mm (.486) bores, using short-straight cases in the 8mm, 10mm, and 12mm for CCW handguns and carbines (lever, of course :wink: ), and long-straight cases for Hunting handguns and rifles (again, lever, of course), plus bottle-neck cartridges in 'varmint' type rifles, or semiauto rifles (would include 2-legs and homeland security application). But that would mean potentially 20 firearm/cartridge combintions! Of course we currently have so many odd-calibers, not-quite-the-same calibers (.45 Colt & .45-70, .308 Win & 7.62x39, etc.) that paring down to 20 would be simplicity itself.

Anyway, perhaps part of my OCD firearms interest is that I wonder if the whole gun industry started from scratch, today, given modern components and materials, what would we be shooting?

Maybe three calibers in three cartridge body styles could do it all, instead of four...?

Feel free to muse along with me. (...or just assert that we already have what we have, so what's the point...).
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Say you could create all the cartridges you need...

Post by Blaine »

I get it, but my imagination could not possibly improve on what is already out there.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I'd like to have a case based on the .223 case but necked up to 24 or 25 cal.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

I'll try and participate within the intent of the OP's thread flavor.

For handguns, i'll try a revolver in .400. Ballistics will be less than the .41 Mag but would easier to shoot while giving more energy downrange than the .357 mag

Rifles --- well, the .375 Streetstar would be my mythical most excellent levergun caliber. Loaded at 30-30 velocities with enough oomph for even the most stubborn member of the deer family (up to moose) , while being easier on the shoulder than hot 45-70 loads (Think a 444 Marlin with a much flatter trajectory)

For a bolt gun cartridge, there is no way i could improve on the existing .30-06 series (.270, 25-06, and others)
----- Doug
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

Aside from .22 rimfire and 12 ga, I pretty much have it covered with one.

From 125 grain to 268 gr bullets, jacketed or cast, even shot rounds. From wild to mild, it's pretty much covered with one stubby .45 that is powder frugal, efficient, and works in levers, single shots, derringers and revolvers.

And yes, I did create it.

If you wanna create one, call Starline, have the price of a new Buick handy, and the dimensions......
Certified gun nut
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jason_W »

I've thought that a series of cases based on the .35 remington and chambered in an easy to carry semi-auto with changeable upper assemblies would be an interesting concept. Maybe neck the case down to .25" or .24" for varmints and small deer, and up a little bit (maybe .375") for moose sized game at close to medium range. The platform would be something that is light and easy to carry as well as fast pointing. Borrowing from the concept behind the AR, changing chamberings would be as simple as switching upper assemblies.

I'm not a gunsmith or a wildcatter, so I don't know if any of that would work.
My first attempt at an outdoors website: http://www.diyballistics.com
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

I'm with BlaineG, there's far more out there than I could ever need already.
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

Streetstar wrote: Rifles --- well, the .375 Streetstar would be my mythical most excellent levergun caliber. Loaded at 30-30 velocities with enough oomph for even the most stubborn member of the deer family (up to moose) , while being easier on the shoulder than hot 45-70 loads (Think a 444 Marlin with a much flatter trajectory)
change 38-55 to .375 streetstar. poof, you get your wish. :wink:
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
rimrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rimrock »

I sure can't rationalize or justify it, but a gatlin in .45C would just about take care of my needs. :lol:

rimrock