OT A duck and the little 870.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

OT A duck and the little 870.

Post by Nath »

I stood for a duck as it went dark tonight, they sometimes fly over a hill top I stand on as it goes dark.
The 20g is accounting for some critters very well but tonight it got me a tufted duck, duck.

I have seen her a few times, allways on her own, usually they are paired for life IMO. She passed wide and very past, so much so I thought I had flicked the little gun through to much (probably something like 8' of lead) as she caught me off guard but no down she came and was dead when Tia made the retrieve.

The moon is just visable in the back ground.

Should make four tasty burgers :D

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT A duck and the little 870.

Post by 86er »

Very nice!
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Nath, your post brought back some memories, I used to stand in the evening waiting for September Ducks, on some land I had shooting rights on. Which ever spot I chose to stand the Ducks always seemed to fly over where I had stood the time before. Still, it was so sweet when the Ducks and I were in the same place. :)
Nether got a Tufted Duck though, well done. :D
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Wind
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wind »

Hey there Nath -- Sounds similar to "jump shooting" but the hunter is wandering down an irrigation canal or small stream bed in a gully out here in the sagebrush. I thought you guys didn't use barbed wire over there, hence the term "English leather". Best regards. Wind
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

Nice shooting! Those 870 20 gauges may not be fancy but they are mighty good.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

You're allowed to have 870's in the UK? I would have thought some mindless politician would have had that classified as an "assault weapon" by now... :roll:
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

Hey Nath - Cool photo and tale. That kind of "opportunity harvest" is icing on the cake for a day afield with a good gun and devoted four-legged companion. Good on ya'!

The praise for your 870 Express 20 gauge and the photos you've posted of it have confirmed my opinion of those handy scatterguns. Smooth operating, familiarity with the ergos, lightweight and made in the USA. A friend of ours purchased one a couple of months ago. After handling and shooting some clays with it, I decided one would fit my needs around here. Good "knock-around" woods, truck and/or tractor gun, ... and decidedly handy for HD when switched out with the extra 21", matte black, imp cyl Rem choked barrel and Federal's #2 buckshot loads.
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

game keeper wrote:Nath, your post brought back some memories, I used to stand in the evening waiting for September Ducks, on some land I had shooting rights on. Which ever spot I chose to stand the Ducks always seemed to fly over where I had stood the time before. Still, it was so sweet when the Ducks and I were in the same place. :)
Nether got a Tufted Duck though, well done. :D

That happens on this spot too GK :lol:

Yep, barbed wire everywhere and thats why I have no seat in my pants and I have to take care I leave nothing for the crows!!

YK don't worry, the commies did get to restrict the mags down to 2 shells, three shot in all.

Goatguy, I can't wait for November when the woodcock arrive from east :D

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!