Opinions on a reloading question.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Opinions on a reloading question.

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Of those that do clean primer pockets, which primer do you think leaves behind the easiest to clean out residue???

While prepping brass today I cleaned primer pockets dirtied by CCI and Winchester LP primers. The CCI pockets were much easier to clean than the Win.WLP pockets.

I have noticed this before but never gave it much thought.

Would anybody use cleanup as a reason to select a certain brand of primer. People rant over dirty powders, how about primers, now that they are getting easier to come by?
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Re: Opinions on a reloading question.

Post by iceman »

I never really noticed.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I had not noticed much of a difference myself, but then I use mostly CCI primers anyway. A quick twist of the brush cleans them up easy. I still don't like prepping brass, well, it's my least favorite part about handloading. I am tempted to try one of those new ultrasonic cleaners.
NRA Life Member
Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hawkeye2 »

The pocket should be cleaned and checked anyway and that only takes a couple of twists of the brush. I never saw enough of a problem cleaning the pocket to give it any thought.
Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hawkeye2 »

We must have been posting at the same time, didn't think of an ultrasonic cleaner. I just cleaned some .50-95 brass in a small Harbor Freight unit with some Dawn dish detergent and it really worked well. The pockets were very clean and the inside of the cases were much cleaner and this was after I had tumbled them. I did 17 cases but the cleaner would easilly handle 25 cases of this size.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I've never paid any attention to which primer left the most residue. Just cleaned them and primed them.

Would I choose a primer brand by that criteria? Nope.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

I don't clean primer pockets except what cleaning happens in the tumbler. Never had a problem with them.
Have you hugged your rifle today?
DougB
Levergunner

Post by DougB »

claybob86 wrote:I don't clean primer pockets except what cleaning happens in the tumbler. Never had a problem with them.
Same here. I do poke each cases flash hole out with a dental pick as well as a quick spin of the reamer. Never paid much attention to dirt.
"Be A Good Listener. Your Ears Will Never Get You In Trouble"

Cadott/Chippewa Falls, WI