OT - Serious discussion on what to keep

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

OT - Serious discussion on what to keep

Post by rjohns94 »

As many of you know, I have wanted to get into working in missions full time and I had a plan that would allow me to transition into that work in a few years. Well, I interviewed yesterday for a position as Global Ministries director of my church. I have not been offered the job as they are interviewing a few others. But, the possibility of the job so soon before my "plan" unfolded has me thinking of what to keep and what to sell. I need to sell off my excess in order to pay off vehicles (and thus reducing my monthly outlay) so that I can afford the severe cut in salary and benefits this job comes with. I love my current job but it actually costs me about $12K/year just to drive to and from work, park, and maintenance on the vehicle. The new job would be within walking distance of the house. This morning, it took an hour and a half to get to work. It takes an hour or more to get home. Saving me nearly three hours a day would allow me to get in more of those things I love to do. The new job would also allow me to travel the world, working with people of all nationalities, to assist those in need in their area. It is a dream job. However, like I said, I have to cut my monthly expenses so I'm thinking of having a garage sale and selling off lots of items to pay off school loans and vehicles. This job will probably end my gun buying career also. So to my lever brothers, which of these would keep as a min in your gun cabinet.

I love to hunt, though the deer regular season is only 2 weeks long here. Muzzleloader season is much longer. Archery season is even longer.

I rarely just go to the range and shoot.

I carry CCW ALL the time.

Here are the firearms up for consideration:

Seacamp .380 (my everday firearm CCW) (I could sell it and get something of lesser value)
Smith and Wesson 60 Pro 3" .357 with night sights - my larger ccw and sometimes woods gun
FA 97 45colt/45acp primere - primary woods gun
FA 83 .475 linebaugh - have it just for fun and large mammals somewhere other than here
Sig 1911 SST - unfired
Colt .22 single action - small game, companion to centerfire rifle

.22lr Marlin TDS
.22lr Winchester bolt rifle
.22mag Marlin Lever
.357 NKJ model 92
30-30 win trapper
1873 38/40
.457 Wild West Gun takedown lever
Browning 71 Carbine .348
Cape gun in 16 gauge and 11 mm
Parker 12 ga, sleeved for 20 gauge
Midland 12 ga hammer gun
French 12 bore cape gun (paradox rifle 12 bore)
Jim Brown M40 marine sniper in .308
M1A scout rifle
Brown .62 bore smoothbore flintlock
Brown Bess .72 bore flintlock

Keeping for sure:
Caharie SBR w/silencer in 9mm (MP-5 look alike) (federally registered to me)
Custom .54 caliber Flintlock rifle (principle BP hunting rifle)

would like to keep a .22lr rifle or pistol, a centerfire rifle, a ccw, a shotgun, a woods gun in additon to the two I have mentioned. Considered getting a 9mm Kahr PM9 to go with the Caharie and to be used as CCW.

Those are my choices. Your thougts??
Last edited by rjohns94 on Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT - Serious discussion on what to keep

Post by 86er »

Best wishes and good luck if the job pans out! It sounds great on the surface and I am sure you know the little details that make it even better. What to keep is a very hard question. Here's what I would GET RID OF ...

475 Linebaugh
Sig 1911
22 RF rifle (either)
22 Mag Marlin
1873 38/40
French 12 b cape gun
M1A Scout
Brown .62
Brown Bess .72
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Woof... :o

OK ... Being totally rational about it (leaving off all favoritisim)

#1: you have a solid chunk of your TETOWAKI dealt with in your "must keeps". To complete that I would:

Dump the Seecamp & get the Kahr or some other mini 9mm as your primary CCW: Same fodder SubGun.

Keep the Smith & the Rossi .357s - Easiest to reload/most versitile
Keep ONE .308 - I'd probably keep the M40 - for longer range work
Keep the Cape Gun in 16ga x 11mm - a 16ga hits like a 12 and shoos like a 20.
Keep the Colt 22 and the TDS

Optional:
Keep the WWG .457 - It's good anywhere on the planet for whompumstompin and MAYBE keep the .457 as an adjunct in case you go missioning in Africa.

Sell the rest. Fun, but redundant.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Good luck on you new job....
I would keep your carry guns...
1 shotgun
1 long range rifle
1 short range rifle
1 bp rifle
and a 22
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

If you have a strong conviction that the Lord is leading you into full time ministry and this particular job is the one, then go for it. Many years ago, I took a 50% cut in income to leave my career to go into full time ministry and for some reason, I hardly noticed the change and have absolutely no regrets whatsoever. The Lord blessed us in many ways.

As for which guns you should keep, the criteria I would use is which guns do you really enjoy? There are a lot that I'd like to have, but only a few that really turn my crank. I've sold, or am selling all my guns except those that I really need, or those that I would sorely miss and very much enjoy.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

God Bless ya Mike....very exciting time for you!

I think in addition to your Brad Emig, I would keep the NKJ Mod. 92, the M1A. Keep the 22 that is most likely to keep on chugging and that parts can be had for. Modern handguns I am just not versed in, but would think your rifle bases would be covered. You'd probably kick yourself for selling the NKJ so thought I would mention that.

PS: re: a get together, I WILL get with you here shortly Mike...had a bunch of family stuff happening here these past few weeks, but starting to smooth out a little.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

rjohns94 wrote:As many of you know, I have wanted to get into working in missions full time and I had a plan that would allow me to transition into that work in a few years. Well, I interviewed yesterday for a position as Global Ministries director of my church. I have not been offered the job as they are interviewing a few others. But, the possibility of the job so soon before my "plan" unfolded has me thinking of what to keep and what to sell. I need to sell off my excess in order to pay off vehicles (and thus reducing my monthly outlay) so that I can afford the severe cut in salary and benefits this job comes with. I love my current job but it actually costs me about $12K/year just to drive to and from work, park, and maintenance on the vehicle. The new job would be within walking distance of the house. This morning, it took an hour and a half to get to work. It takes an hour or more to get home. Saving me nearly three hours a day would allow me to get in more of those things I love to do. The new job would also allow me to travel the world, working with people of all nationalities, to assist those in need in their area. It is a dream job. However, like I said, I have to cut my monthly expenses so I'm thinking of having a garage sale and selling off lots of items to pay off school loans and vehicles. This job will probably end my gun buying career also. So to my lever brothers, which of these would keep as a min in your gun cabinet.

I love to hunt, though the deer regular season is only 2 weeks long here. Muzzleloader season is much longer. Archery season is even longer.

I rarely just go to the range and shoot.

I carry CCW ALL the time.

Seacamp .380 (my everday firearm CCW) (I could sell it and get something of lesser value)
Smith and Wesson 60 Pro 3" .357 with night sights - my larger ccw and sometimes woods gun
Sig 1911 SST - unfired

.22lr Marlin TDS
.22mag Marlin Lever

Browning 71 Carbine .348

M1A scout rifle

Keeping for sure:

would like to keep a .22lr rifle or pistol, a centerfire rifle, a ccw, a shotgun, a woods gun in additon to the two I have mentioned. Considered getting a 9mm Kahr PM9 to go with the Caharie and to be used as CCW.

I've deleted the ones I'd sell...... Though, I think you should figger a way to continue your hobby.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Without reading the rest I'm going to make some few general suggestions aside from the must keeps you mentioned...

#1 - a carry piece
#2 - a .22 rifle and a .22 revolver (you SHOULD practice)
#3 - a shotgun
#4 - a militia rifle (yeah, I know)
#5 - a big game rifle

That's all one "needs" and you have the BP stuff in your already decided list.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
RDB
Levergunner 1.0

Post by RDB »

Hi Mike,
FWIW I have been going through a similar transformation that has taken several years. The decision making was brought on by health issues and seeing what other families have gone through when left with esoteric gun collections.

We all know this but guns are just steel, wood and plastic. They will long out live us. Past the sentimental value all can be easily replaced. The one thing that can't be replaced is time. Heres' hoping you get the job you want and find the extra time and a new labor of love replacing any need for the guns. (I know, I know ;)

Things will change for you. If you need the money to set yourself up...it is a decent savings account!

Since you asked and they aren't my guns :)
Here is how I'd go down the list.
I ditch anything unfired. Then I'd ditch anything I hadn't shot in the last year. Then I would ditch anything I hadn't put more than 50 round out of in the last year. But if I were traveling over seas on a regular basis...I'd ditch them all. No CCW once you hit the first airport anyway for most. That alone forces me into a new mind set.

I don't find it a good or bad transition..just difference.
Irelander
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Irelander »

KEEP:
Colt .22 single action
.357 NKJ model 92
Coharie SBR w/silencer in 9mm - OH YEA! Thats a keeper!

I'd sell the Seacamp and S&W and buy a Glock or Kahr CCW gun. You should also have a .22lr semi-auto pistol for cheap plinking and practice. Like a Ruger MKII or Browning Buckmark.

God bless you in your ministry.
The time has come to stand for all we believe in.

Glock Certified Armorer
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

Ditch these:

Seecamp .380
FA 83 .475 Linebaugh
Sig 1911 SST
1873 38/40
Midland 12 ga hammer gun

Keep the ones not mentioned above; use the Model 60 for a CCW for now, and decide what other small pistol you want after the dust settles from selling the rest. As for some of the other guns to keep, the Marlin TDS can do anything the Winchester bolt 22 can. I'd keep the Marlin 22 Magnum for small game. Use the Browning 71 for your primary medium/large game hunting rifle.

Best of luck doing the good work. I'm sure by now you've realized that it is best to "go with the flow;" we don't get to pick and chose our preferences for the when, the how, and the why.

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

God bless you in what your doing. Now. I find it interesting that you cc here yet are probley going to more dangerous places that you cant! Part of your decisions on what guns you keep, will you be able to take certain guns with you to certain foregin countrys and use them for hunting there? That might change all our ideas! As aside I have a 2nd cousin, monroe grams, who headed up the world missions for the assemblies of God for many years.
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

I made a list of keepers, easier for me to do.

Seacamp .380
FA 97 45colt/45acp primere
30-30 win trapper
Browning 71 Carbine .348
Midland 12 ga hammer gun
M1A scout rifle
Ricky

DWWC
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

rjohns94 wrote:

.22lr Marlin TDS

.357 NKJ model 92

Browning 71 Carbine .348???

Midland 12 ga hammer gun???

These are the one's I'd keep or sell the bottom two and buy a good 870 pump and a less expensive .308 or .30-06 for long range work.

I admire your conviction, stepping off into the deep end takes alot of faith. Prayers sent, you don't need luck.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Mike -

I'm praying that you will land this job. I know when we talked about it it just sounded like it was meant to be. Saving 3 hours of your life, daily, is simply wonderful. Going into something you really want to do, where you can make such a great impact, is just a blessing.

I like Hobie's logic below. If you're going to be on a budget, you will certainly want a .22 RF handgun and long gun for practice. Reducing the number of calibers to feed simply makes sense in this case. Since you are keeping the MP5 clone, like others suggested, I'd drop the Seacamp .380 and pick up a sub-compact Kahr in 9mm.

I think I would add two guns though to Hobie's list below - at least hold onto them a bit longer. Keep your NKJ '92 and a revolver to match. This gives you a pistol-caliber handgun and long gun as well. I know the 9mm combo might count for that "slot", but as OI noted, the .357 Magnum is easy to load, pretty cheap to load, and ever-so versatile.
Hobie wrote:Without reading the rest I'm going to make some few general suggestions aside from the must keeps you mentioned...

#1 - a carry piece
#2 - a .22 rifle and a .22 revolver (you SHOULD practice)
#3 - a shotgun
#4 - a militia rifle (yeah, I know)
#5 - a big game rifle

That's all one "needs" and you have the BP stuff in your already decided list.
Good luck and keep us posted!!! :D
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Ok friend(first, God Bless you Mike on your quest)----
Now, none of us really know whats exactly right for you friend!
Also hope once all these weapons have been sold you dont regret it later.

First and foremost, keep what really touches your heart strings and have history such as those tied to family etc.)
Now, Once that is done I will mention what I would consider?(dont mean it will work for you)
Must have ---------------
Browning A-Bolt II .375 H&H Mag------------------------------New($775)aprox. (Quality rifle do about anything)
Browning BPS 12ga Uplander w/Invector tubes------------------New($399)aprox (Quality Shotgun do about anything.)
Kimber Ultra Carry II .45ACP also w/.22 conversion kit--------------------New($1000)aprox. (Quality handgun/very concealable/powerful and also have a .22 conversion for added versatility.)

So for around $2100 your good to go! All New Quality Weapons and only needing 3

Later--------If money allows-------------A "nice" M1 garand down the road!
Oh ya---Do keep your bow and air gun! :wink:
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Yep, I kept the bow and airgun. Listed tonight on gunbroker the Seacamp, FA 97, FA 83, Sig 1911. Will list more tomorrow. They can be found under my rjohns94 listing.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

C. Cash wrote:I would keep the NKJ Mod. 92, the M1A. Keep the 22 that is most likely to keep on chugging and that parts can be had for.
Exactly what I was thinking.

And your 'CCW' gun just has to be one you're 100% confident in, period. Old or new, big or small, powerful or not, no matter - just something you ALWAYS hit with and it ALWAYS works. Consider a .357 Mag revolver to match the NKJ Rossi.

I took about a 65% pay cut :? to do what I enjoy, plus borrowing money and spending 7 additional years in training, but you have to do what your 'calling' in life is, or you've wasted your life and your abilities. Happiness isn't about dollars, although dollars are mighty nice to have some of all else being equal.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

rjohns94 wrote:Yep, I kept the bow and airgun. Listed tonight on gunbroker the Seacamp, FA 97, FA 83, Sig 1911. Will list more tomorrow. They can be found under my rjohns94 listing.

Mike,
The material things are just that, material-----------You have a higher calling(and God be with you friend)
Dont worry about guns! you come up here sometime hunt at my place and use my guns if need be!
Your one Quality Man
I am sure between a bunch of us on here,you can hunt around this country all over on our places and dont even need to bring your guns(just yourself) :wink:
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Handguns I'm keeping: model 60 .357, kahr PM9 (picked it up tonight), .22 Colt.

Thinking currently: Marlin TDS, NKJ 92 357, WWG .457/45-70, M40 .308, Caharie 9mm

(the WWG and M40 will be sold later if needed)

Midland 12 bore
Pellet rifle .20cal
emig 54 cal flintlock.

If I have to leave firearms behind in the future, the rest will go to Alnitak.

Madman, thanks so much. I know they are just things. I have no problem selling these off. this is an opportunity that won't come around anytime soon. Keep your prayers going that all goes well. Not worried about decreased salary at all, just wanting to be a good steward. I hope one day I do get to hunt with you.
Mike Johnson,

Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

rjohns94 wrote:Handguns I'm keeping: model 60 .357, kahr PM9 (picked it up tonight), .22 Colt.

Thinking currently: Marlin TDS, NKJ 92 357, WWG .457/45-70, M40 .308, Caharie 9mm

Midland 12 bore
Pellet rifle .20cal
emig 54 cal flintlock.

Madman, thanks so much. I know they are just things. I have no problem selling these off. this is an opportunity that won't come around anytime soon. Keep your prayers going that all goes well. Not worried about decreased salary at all, just wanting to be a good steward. I hope one day I do get to hunt with you.
Sounds like a plan. 8)
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Old Ironsights wrote:
rjohns94 wrote:Handguns I'm keeping: model 60 .357, kahr PM9 (picked it up tonight), .22 Colt.

Midland 12 bore
Pellet rifle .20cal
emig 54 cal flintlock.

Sounds like a plan. 8)

+1 :)
Prayers to continue being sent for Mike! (lot of respect for that man)
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

Out of that list I would say keep these. With the money from the sale of the others I would buy a new carry gun. Depending on your requirements. If you live in a true hostile zone I would get a Glock 19. If you carry more for peace of mind a Ruger LCP.

With those guns you can hunt any game and keep the squirrels out of the attic. You might want a centerfire bolt gun but that sniper rifle is too heavy to tote around. You can always grab a Savage bolt in 7-08 or something for a econo bolt gun if you need one.

.22lr Marlin TDS

30-30 win trapper

Haycock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Haycock »

rjohns94 wrote: Here are the firearms up for consideration:

FA 97 45colt/45acp primere - primary woods gun
FA 83 .475 linebaugh - have it just for fun and large mammals somewhere other than here
Sig 1911 SST - unfired

.22lr Marlin TDS
.22mag Marlin Lever
.357 NKJ model 92
30-30 win trapper
1873 38/40
Browning 71 Carbine .348
Midland 12 ga hammer gun
M1A scout rifle

Keeping for sure:

MY picks for "keepers" (not including the flintlock or silenced 9mm):

Seecamp .380
S&W M60 3" .357
.22lr Marlin TDS (if scoped, otherwise the Winnie)
.357 NKJ model 92
M1A scout rifle

Haycock
The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned. - PA State Constitution
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Ok, I put the M40 up for sale instead of the M1A. struggled with that decision but it nets more $$$$ and I still have a combat weapon in addition to the 9mm subgun.
Mike Johnson,

donw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by donw »

the M1A and any 9mm for CCW...any .22 rimfire rifle/carbine pistol/revolver of your choice...the bow and air rifle are great, too.
if you think you're influencial, try telling someone else's dog what to do---will rogers
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

The brown bess sold to a friend of its maker. The 73 was traded to Casastahle for a B92 in .357 that is up for sale. based on # of watches, the B92, 97, 83, 71 and m40 will sell by this weekend. God is good.
Mike Johnson,

cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Mike what happened to your AVATAR :?:
It’s just not you without it. :cry:
HEAD0001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by HEAD0001 »

I have no idea what firearms you have that have sentimental value to you. Only you know those. I am going to go on the premise that none have sentimental value.

What I would do if I were you was act as if you hae zero firearms in the safe. Then make a list of the firearms you would like to have, or what you consider the bare necessities to get by.

After you decide what you need to get by then I would look at the current pieces that you have. Whatever piece does not fit exactly into what you want or need, I would sell. Then if you still have a hole you can buy what you need to fill your list.

So either a current piece fits in or it doesn't. Tom.
Lawyer Daggit
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Lawyer Daggit »

Keep the ones that are practical and hardest to replace.

Marlin TDS
Wild west take down
Browning 71
Keep a shotgun- the one that fits best.
two handguns- again, the most comfortable 'carry' for you and a .22 for practice
A tactical rifle

The original post I have noticed is old. If you are still a member here, did you get the job and how did it work out?
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I'm still a member here, feel like this is family. They have one more interview this week and then will decide. I"m just waiting on God to do his thing. He is really good at that. :D
Mike Johnson,