gun storage

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
1gun
Levergunner

gun storage

Post by 1gun »

This is probably a dumb question, but is it ok to store your guns barrel down in your safe?
ursavus.elemensis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ursavus.elemensis »

This is a great question. Can anyone shed some light on this?
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: gun storage

Post by Griff »

1gun wrote:This is probably a dumb question, but is it ok to store your guns barrel down in your safe?
There are NO dumb questions; only dumb answers... Here's #1 - NO, it absolutely against the RULES. :lol: :P :P :wink:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

I store my long guns muzzle down in a boar store sock. I do this because I read somewhere muzzle down is preferable so as to prevent oil/solvent from running back into the wood. Is this true? Who knows but the sock protects the muzzle so... It can not hurt is how I view it. 1886.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Elmer Keith always recommended storing guns muzzle down so oils will run away from the wood. Gotta remember, that was at a time when slopping oil all over was accepted. Can't begin to tell you how many old rifles I have had with oil soaked wood. Those guys would scrub their barrels with lots of Hoppes #9 and did not bother to wipe out the excess.

In todays world, I don't use any more oil than is needed and even then I like E-Zox, which is synthetic. After scrubbing the bore with Hoppes #9, I always wipe out the excess out of the barrel AND chamber, also any that got in the action.

So......bottom line is this---as long as you pay attention to how much oil your using, (and leaving) store those shootin' irons any way you want.
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

I believe muzzle down is the best way, but I've got to admit most of mine are muzzle up just because it often easier to store them that way.
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

Re: gun storage

Post by brucew44guns »

Griff wrote:
1gun wrote:This is probably a dumb question, but is it ok to store your guns barrel down in your safe?
There are NO dumb questions; only dumb answers... Here's #1 - NO, it absolutely against the RULES. :lol: :P :P :wink:

The way I heard that answer once was "around here we don't mind dumb questions, it's the dumb mistakes that we frown on".

I guess I can't see a rifle complaining about it either way, pointing up, or pointing down.
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

I store mine muzzle sideways. :)
Ram Hammer
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ram Hammer »

Some go up and some go down. Thats how I fit them in the safe.
No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself

There's no trick to being a humorist when you have the whole government working for you.
Will Rogers
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

I store most of mine muzzle down. The safe is carpeted so it doesn't harm the muzzles. I find it much easier to slip a rifle out without banging the stock on the other ones if I'm handling it by the stock.

SHASTA
Slick
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Slick »

Not a "dumb" question at all... It's a "preference issue".

I store my guns muzzle UP (because I get more in my vault this way) AND there's NO penalty for doing so IF the gun is NOT over-lubed...

Once a barrel is clean, I swab it a few times with a lightly coated patch with Militech1 and there's NOTHING there to "run"... problem solved.

That said, I still run a "dry" patch through any bore come "shooting day" before I head to the shoot.
Politicians and diapers both require frequent changing for the EXACT same reason!
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Some go up and some go down. Thats how I fit them in the safe.
Now that's smart - my safe's getting a little crowded. That should help them fit.

In my safe there are slots in the front and holes in the back. The Marlin stocks are the right angle to lean in the slots safely, but the Winchester stocks can't lean in the slots because the shape makes them fall over. Maybe I can keep a Winchester in the front if it's muzzle down.

Why didn't I think of that?
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

Muzzle down or horizontal. Although there is no reason now days to do either. With all the modern lubes on the market, there is no need to use any "oil". I know there are some who don't agree with the label on WD-40, as a "lubricant, but I've used it since it's been on the market, about 45 years, as the only thing I put in/on all my guns. Oil soaked stocks should be a thing of the past.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

When I worked in the gun trade I saw a lot of old guns with oil soaked stocks, the wood was soft and discolored. I always store my muzzle loaders muzzle down when I have just cleaned them, after a couple of days I swab the bores and return them muzzle up.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Rebel1972
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rebel1972 »

I always thought it was funny that when you put a gun in a case and close the lid you are carrying it upside down :?
Maddog521
Levergunner

Post by Maddog521 »

Muzzle down. That's the way my dad taught me and I am still doing it. I guess I'm just "old school".
Jayhawker
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jayhawker »

Some are on their nose, but most are on their toes. You can fit more of them into the safe that way. :lol:
Well done is better than well said.