A .308 ammo question

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

A .308 ammo question

Post by mod71alaska »

Anyone familiar with Federal .308 Gold Medal Match 168gr HPBT ammunition?

Do you use it only for target shooting, or hunting also? Recommend it? Best price?

Thanks
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Re: A .308 ammo question

Post by fordwannabe »

Federal gold Medal match is in my OPINION the most accurate factory stuff out there, but it is target only as far as I am concerned. Tom
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Bruce
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bruce »

I have hunted and taken game (deer) with both the Federal 308 Match and the Remington 30-06 Match (168 gn. "R3006C"). All the deer DRT'd. I can't claim it was the best option, but they worked. Can't advise on the price as neither is available around here anymore. IMHO, both companies regular ammo is very accurate and for the most part, as a hunter I can not detect an advantage with the Match ammo for hunting purposes. I do note however that I am getting some really excessive left over powder residue from some Federal 30-06 as of late. Nothing wrong with the performance or accuracy, just dirty.
http://www.pumprifle.org/
Bruce Hamlin's Pump Rifle Forum
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

It's the standard issue duty ammo for the Wyoming Game and Fish commission wardens and biologists that are issued M-14's.
SFRanger7GP

Post by SFRanger7GP »

I have found it to shoot very accurate. However, it is not the best bullet for hunting and it is illegal to use for hunting in some areas of the US.
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

SFRanger7GP wrote:....it is not the best bullet for hunting and it is illegal to use for hunting in some areas of the US.
Ranger...

Can you provide more information?

Why is this Federal cartridge illegal in some areas? Is it illegal for all hunting, or for specified game such as deer? Is it illegal because the bullet is fragile and explosive?

Would this ammo be a good fox/coyote round if you're not interested in the fur?
Cliff
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Cliff »

I have a Savage M-12 as a scout set up. I have tried a variety of match ammo, civilian and Lake City, never could get decent accuracy, went to some hunting loads things improved. I had some Winchester 150 grain Silver Tips the rifle loves. The Winchester Power Points did not do a thing for it.
Sure is a fussy rifle. I guess I need to run about 1k number of various stuff through it may settle in better. I did change the trigger as well. Nice handy rifle, big bolt knob and synthetic stock, removeable magazines. Big thing on match grade ammo seems to be it is made to be constistant in performance. Have fun trying some of all the various makes and brands out there. I have a couple of Hi end 22 Rimfires which will only shoot the cheapest ammo around with exceptional accuracy, hates match ammo, go figure. Good Luck in your quest.
arjunky
Levergunner 3.0

Post by arjunky »

CDNN has it for 19.99 a box right now. Cheapest I've found.
http://www.cdnninvestments.com/

It used to be THE target ammo back in the 80's and 90's.

Haven't shot any game with it.

Byron
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

It's very accurate and is what several SWAT teams are using for their snipers.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Nosler has a two for on their 165 grain Trophy Grade right now. $30 for two boxes free shipping. Go to guntalk.com for the code or PM me.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

jkbrea wrote:It's very accurate and is what several SWAT teams are using for their snipers.
It is an industry standard for that use. It's the round I used through my Remington PSS when I was a countersniper. Very consistent and accurate. One of these days I'll get some pictures of some 223 brass I shot at 100 yds showing the bullet going through the brass, but not splitting the sides. I have two cases, one shows one shot the other shows two shots. And, yes, it was witnessed. :D That rifle and ammo are scary accurate.

The bullet has a cavity and expands well, but answering the question as to whether or not it's legal for hunting I can't answer and has been said there are better performing hunting bullets.
Old Law Dawg
SFRanger7GP

Post by SFRanger7GP »

It is considered a "ballistic hollow point" and is often classified the same as FMJ or ball ammo. The ones I have seen recovered in the berm at the ranges seem to confirm it has similar characteristics as FMJ (no expansion).
m.wun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by m.wun »

In California (other than no lead areas) the law says a expanding or softpoint only for
large game.
What in the wild world of sports is going on here
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I have some for my M1A and yes it is very accurate but as a previous post said, think of it as FMJ
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.