Old West Snake Oil

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Old West Snake Oil

Post by Mike D. »

This product WORKS! It protects both wood and metal on antique and new guns. I picked this up from the manufacturer yesterday at the Reno Show. Here are photos of the wood on my Browning carbine and an original '86 after wiping this stuff on and polishing them. I am in no way attempting to sell this stuff, just letting everyone know of it's availability. :D ImageImageImageImage
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Re: Old West Snake Oil

Post by Old Savage »

I think I will get some of that and you know real snake oil is hard to come by. But if you could get it I am sure it would be high in Omega 3s.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

@ Mike, how was the Show ? I thought it was last weekend so planned My little trip around it only to find out it was this weekend. considered driving over today but didn't get around early enough. Those stocks look good.
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I took my cousin who had never been to such a show and, needless to say, he was overwhelmed with it all. Some of the Henrys and Winchesters were FABULOUS and the HUGE prices reflected that. Personally, I saw little high end actually changing hands. I do know that my Holy Grail, a post-1900 50 EX carbine will cost in excess of 45 Gs, a price that leaves my piking self far in the distance. I saw exactly one them on a sales table, but did see another LWTD .50 EX that was in a collection and definitely NFS. I very nearly pulled the trigger on a 1912 vintage SA .45 with 4 3/4" bbl, but it had been worked on a bit. The mechanics and bore were perfect, and the finish around 70%. The dealer told me that I could walk out with it for $1400. I definitely had the cash, but something told me that it wasn't a particularly good buy, especially since the dealer told me that he wasn't sure that it would letter. Not that it wouldn't, it's just that he claimed to have never checked. He had letters for the rest of his guns, though, so why not this one? BTW, he had the most reasonably priced guns of the show. None of his 1st Gen SAs were priced above $3000, and most quite less. One had been entirely rebuilt in the 1920s by Colt and the letter reflected the new barrel and cylinder of the original caliber. That one was $2600 and will now belong to my cousin. Many dealers were more than willing to "talk turkey" and sell their off the books guns across the table and out the door. This included some fine modern bolt guns, too, not just older ones. :)
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Look what a quick rub of OWSO did for my much used and scratched up Remington .25-20.Image
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Mike D. wrote:This product WORKS! It protects both wood and metal on antique and new guns. I picked this up from the manufacturer yesterday at the Reno Show. Here are photos of the wood on my Browning carbine and an original '86 after wiping this stuff on and polishing them. I am in no way attempting to sell this stuff, just letting everyone know of it's availability. :D
Good stuff, eh?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Griff, I had never seen the stuff until yesterday, but after seeing Bert Hartman and Larry Shennum's Winchesters all shined up with the stuff I had to buy a bottle. Larry cooked up the concoction and was selling plenty of it at 16 bucks a pop.
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

I learned about Old West Snake Oil from an old time gun dealer years ago in Alaska and have been using it ever since. He used it on both wood and metal and I've followed suit. It's hard to find where I live now.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

It must be hard to find here, I've never even heard of it. I'll have to get some, my old winchesters need all the help they can get! Now someone just has to make something you can pour down a bad bore.
Thanks Mike!
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

You can get it online, just google it. :)
"That'll Be The Day"
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

First time I've ever heard of the stuff. I'll have to check it out.
Old Law Dawg