OT--375 H&H factory ammo

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

OT--375 H&H factory ammo

Post by getitdone1 »

I have a new gun on the way that shoots 375 H&H ammo.

Wondering where I can buy it (Winchester much preferred) at a reasonable price?

Anyone here got some they'd like to sell?

Must be factory and not reloads.

Midway had about half of the reloading things I needed today. I had that happen before with them.

Don McCullough
Guncase
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Guncase »

The .375 H&H is a wonderful cartridge. I have never bought a box of factory loads for mine, so I can't help you in that regard. I will suggest a reload for you though. I have been loading the 270 grain Hornady spire point over 73 grains of RL15 for 2707 FPS out of my 24.5" barrel. Extreme spread is 21 FPS in my rifle, and I managed to shoot a .75" group from a bench at 100 YDS. This with a 2.5X leupold scope! I'm not bragging, I'm not that great of a shot. I'm just telling you what the .375 is capable of. My rifle is much more accurate than I can shoot, but I can keep my groups to 1.5" all day long. I feel that is respectable given the amount of recoil, and the low power scope. That being said, the recoil of this particular load is stout, but it is not the bone crushing jar that you get from the "magnum" rounds. It is also much lower pressure than the "magnums", so it is easy on the ears. I just can't say enough good about the .375. I hope you love yours as I do mine.
" I never went to college, but I sure paid for my education."
A favorite quote from my Grandfather.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I used to shoot 80gr of 4350 behind a 235 gr Speer semi-spitzer out of a light Remington 700 Classic. Recoil was heavy but managable. I killed several deer with it. I killed several running deer with it, one year, some with less then bragging bullet placement. Performance was kinda werd. It did not on average anchor a deer any quicker then half a dozen other calibers I have used on broadside lungshots. But on any marginal hit I had, it was like the hammer of thor, espacally if any bone was hit, or other solid hit.

On lung shots, I believe that there just wasn't enough resistance to make the bullet open up, still yet it would kill about like the average .270 win on a lung shot using 130gr bullets.

I think it would have made one heck of an elk load, but I never got to try it out on an elk.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

The 375 H&H magnum was famed author Peter Capstick's favorite cartridge.

If you like hunting stories of Africa, stories about the old great hunters in Africa--you'll love Peter Capstick's books. I know many here know this.

Recall in one of his videos he talked about his custom mauser chambered for this cartridge. Believe the gun had a special front sight with a large ivory bead he could flip-up when needed for quick, close-up shooting of dangerous game.

This cartridge came on the scene way back in 1912. A favorite in Africa, well thought of by nearly all and also a favorite for the big bears. One of the truly classic cartridges.

From what I know of so-called African Cartridges I'd say that the 375 H&H magnum and the 470 Nitro Express (this one used in side by side double rifles) are the two most famous African cartridges--at least from an Americanized viewpoint.

If you want to see an "over-bore cartridge" find and take a look at the 244 H&H magnum cartridge. It is derived from necking down the 375 H&H case to 6mm. Have one in my small cartridge collection.

The 375 H&H magnum, like the 45-70 and many other cartridges "has a lot of history." Makes it more fun to have and shoot.

As the author of the Cartridges of the World book says: "It's the grand daddy of all the modern belted magnums."

Don McCullough
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

The only factory ammo I used in mine was one box of Hornady Heavy Magnum. It was not real accurate in my rifle, but then no other 270 gr. or lighter bullet was either. Mine has a long throat and will only shoot good with 300 gr bullets.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

TedH wrote:The only factory ammo I used in mine was one box of Hornady Heavy Magnum. It was not real accurate in my rifle, but then no other 270 gr. or lighter bullet was either. Mine has a long throat and will only shoot good with 300 gr bullets.
TedH,

Wondering if you'd seat the 270 gr bullets out more and use Lee factory crimp die to hold'em it'd then shoot 270 gr better?

You're talking the Browning A-Bolt--right?

Don McCullough
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

Can't help with cheap factory ammo. In fact, shortly (if not already) cheap factory ammo will become an oxymoron.

I have tested a lot of 375 bullets and the 235 Speer is a VERY hard bullet with a lot of antimony in the ocre. It doesn't make a very good deer bullet. If you want to smack a deer once in a while with the big boomer, try the Hornady 225 that was designed for the 376 Steyr. Load to keep your impact velocities in the 2000 to 2500fps range and it will work fine.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

You're a little too late, Don - I gave away several boxes of my surplus factory ammo to another fellow levergunner before last Thanksgiving Day. :roll:
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Doug,
I just checked and I have 2 boxes of handloaded (by me) 375 H&H ammo. They are both loaded with the Hornady 270 gr. with 80 gr. of IMR-4350. I also have 40 Hornady heads in 270 gr and 42 Speer heads in 235 gr. These were loaded in the nineties for my Dad who had a Remington 700. After shooting a few rounds, he sold the rifle :D If you are interested, I will sell the 2 boxes and all of the heads for $65 with shipping included. PM if interested-------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD