Levergun Silhouette near Denver, CO

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Griff
Posting leader...

Levergun Silhouette near Denver, CO

Post by Griff »

Once again, I find myself with time and nothing to do in a strange city. Probably too cold for a TX boy to go to the range, and don't wanna drive far @ $3+/gal for fuel. Anything open of interest to a lever-kinda-guy on Sunday?
Last edited by Griff on Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: OT - Denver, CO

Post by J Miller »

When last we were there we found that Broadway street had a big long section about a mile long with many many antique shops.

And, my MIL is living in a nursing home there. You could visit her :twisted: . She's kind of demented though.
The last time I saw her I asked her how she was doing. Her reply: "Anybody I can".

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Museum of Natural history is fun once every 10 years or so.
Co state museum used to be good, but haven't been there in years.
Not sure if you can get tours of the Coors or Bud plants on Sunday or not. :mrgreen:
Little extra truck money might be fun at Blackhawk/Central City. :mrgreen:
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Go have yourself a heckuva meal at The Fort:

http://www.thefort.com/

Cheers,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

The Howard Johnson across from the TA at XT265 has a good $5 staeak and eggs. Also about 2 miles north of Pilot at XT275 is a little diner called Deno's. Have decent size lot and really good food. Also have 60" screen TV if'n you like to watch football on Sundays
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
KSFlatheadhunter
Levergunner 1.0

Post by KSFlatheadhunter »

Don McDowell wrote:Museum of Natural history is fun once every 10 years or so.
Co state museum used to be good, but haven't been there in years.
Not sure if you can get tours of the Coors or Bud plants on Sunday or not. :mrgreen:
Little extra truck money might be fun at Blackhawk/Central City. :mrgreen:
I agree with both the Museum of Natural History and the antique stores on Broadway. I have been to the antique stores since the mid '90's but they had a lot of mining equipment in them as I remember. We took the kids to the Museum of Natural History and Casa Bonita 1.5 years ago on our way to "the Moab" in Utah and everyone loved the Museum.

Darin
I can all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Phillipians 4:13

Life is hard, it is harder if your stupid. John Wayne
Cimarron Red
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cimarron Red »

Hi, Griff,

Unless the weather goes to heck, there will be a pistol cartridge lever gun silhouette shoot tomorrow morning at the Golden Gun Club just east of Denver near Watkins.
Set-up and practice will be at 9 o'clock with the match beginning at 10. Right now the forecast looks pretty good -- 50 degrees and partly cloudy.

Here's the club's web site:

http://www.goldengunclub.com/
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Cimarron Red wrote:Hi, Griff,
Unless the weather goes to heck, there will be a pistol cartridge lever gun silhouette shoot tomorrow morning at the Golden Gun Club just east of Denver near Watkins.
Set-up and practice will be at 9 o'clock with the match beginning at 10. Right now the forecast looks pretty good -- 50 degrees and partly cloudy.
Here's the club's web site:
http://www.goldengunclub.com/
hmmmmm....

A hunnert rounds oughta do? Wonder if my "motor home" will get in there?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Cimarron Red
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cimarron Red »

Griff,

You should be able to get your motor home into the range. Just inside the first gate is the clubhouse and clay target parking area. Then the silhouette range is through the second gate and down a 'wavy' road a hundred or so yards farther. There seems to be plenty of parking. Once you make the right-hand bend to approach the ranges, the silhouette range will be the one to the right. You'll see a good deal of activity.

You'll need 40 rounds for record, 15 or 20 for practice and to check your settings, and maybe 5 to 10 rounds in case you're in a shoot-off. So well under a hundred rounds will do. I should be there around 8:45. Ask anyone for Gary; we can shoot together if you'd like. Let me know if you can make it. It'd be great if you can!
Bloodhound
Levergunner

Post by Bloodhound »

Griff

Golden gun club is great...don't have a lot of hills or dirt road to cover to get there. Your motor home should do fine...have fun
Scott

Do Justice
Love Mercy
Walk Humbly With Your GOD
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Griff,
Green Mountain Guns has all kind of neat stuff. I don't know the address but I guess you could plug in your GPS and figure it out.

After your done there, I need you to drive a couple of miles down the road and give that son of mine a butt-whippin----Texas style :D

Man , would I get a laugh when Jr. calls me up and says this huge KW came down his street and this gun totin' redneck came bustin' through the door. :D

On a serious note, Denver is a nice city. (as far as big cities go) :D -------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Cimarron Red wrote:Griff,
You should be able to get your motor home into the range. Just inside the first gate is the clubhouse and clay target parking area. Then the silhouette range is through the second gate and down a 'wavy' road a hundred or so yards farther. There seems to be plenty of parking. Once you make the right-hand bend to approach the ranges, the silhouette range will be the one to the right. You'll see a good deal of activity.
You'll need 40 rounds for record, 15 or 20 for practice and to check your settings, and maybe 5 to 10 rounds in case you're in a shoot-off. So well under a hundred rounds will do. I should be there around 8:45. Ask anyone for Gary; we can shoot together if you'd like. Let me know if you can make it. It'd be great if you can!
I'll be there. I gotta get rid of my wagon... I'm droppin' it at the T/A in Wheat Ridge, and be there... luckily, you guys are an hour behind me!

Sixgun,

You'll have to administer your own whoopin', if you're able! I wouldn't wanna hurt your boy... you carryin' them 1886s and all!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Griff....the one thing I can think of that I really enjoyed was driving out near Golden and seeing the Buffalo Bill grave/ Museum. The Coors tour was just alright but fun.
http://www.buffalobill.org/

The Natural History Museum in Denver is good and they had an Imax theatre there. When I was laid up at Fitzsimmons I used to live at that place in my off hours.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Is the Mountain Man steak house on Quebec still in business? Used to go in there once inawhile and get a buffalo and qual dinner.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Don McDowell wrote:Is the Mountain Man steak house on Quebec still in business? Used to go in there once inawhile and get a buffalo and qual dinner.
I've looked for it several times when I've been here, but couldn't remember exactly how to get there, or the name of the place... it'd been 1989 since the last time I went! Might be worth lookin' for now that I know the name of the street! Still listed in the YP!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

Griff wrote:
Cimarron Red wrote:Griff,
I'll be there. I gotta get rid of my wagon... I'm droppin' it at the T/A in Wheat Ridge, and be there... luckily, you guys are an hour behind me!
Dang it! I live about 4 miles from there, but I'm on the road tomorrow. Sorry to miss ya! :(
Have you hugged your rifle today?
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Griff it's a little south of the big post office complex in Commerce City. Coming off of 70 just take the Quebec st exit and head north.
Coming from the north just come down 85 to that big stoplight on 58th? and head east to Quebec then head south about 1/4 mile or so, it's on the west side of the street.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Went to the Golden Gun Club for the Cowboy Silhouette (pistol caliber) match! Met Cimarron Red and a few others... friendly bunch of folks, warm and inviting, unlike the weather turned! Got to shoot one relay (pigs), and boy. do I need to rethink this "practice is a sin" theory!

Pictures are busy downloading somewhere else in the laptop, and I'll post 'em later, meanwhile, I think I go remove that OT label.

Oh yea, if Cimarron Red challenges you to a match... check your attitude at the door, the man CAN SHOOT! Wind was up to 14mph coming at a slight angle outta the north, droppin' the 42ºF ambient temp down into the 20's and playing hob with them itty-bitty 32-20 boolits, but he still ran 8 of 10 on the RAMS! And this was after the practice session with the wind outta the SW at about 4-5mph, and quite balmy by comparison. Variable winds don't make shooting any eaiser, does it? Yeah, I was impressed. While my unpractised self was stutterin' and chatterin' in the freezin' chill (by my reckonin'), I think I whooped-up on about THREE of them pigs! Match called after Red shot his Ram relay... with good cause!

I really look forward to comin' back and shootin' again. This was my 1860 Henry's first venture outside a CAS range, and I gotta say I was pleased. Any missin' was strictly down to my unpractised wobblin' around in the breeze, and the rifle's untested sight settings at these extended (by SASS standards) ranges! While the Chickens seem to require a hold about 6-8 inches below their base, the Rams were just a hold in the middle proposition. And this was with a boolit outta the 45-225-CAV mold and 6.5 grains of RedDot in a variety of cases. Nothing real powerful; in fact,, my standard CAS load. I really thought I'd need to lift the ladder on the rear sight for those 150m rams... but no such requirement.

Still uploading. I'll be back! :twisted:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: Levergun Silhouette near Denver, CO

Post by Griff »

Pigs and Rams
Chickens and Turkeys

These shots were taken just a few minutes b4 10 am. By 11 that line of clouds on the horizon was already over the range and it was foggy enough that see the line where the Rams had been was difficult. To have tried to continue would have yielded the same result.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

That's really cool. Thanks for the pics, Griff. I need to get back up to Tonasket and throw some lead down range with Wind and Whitspurzon some time this winter. I don't know why I abuse myself. I don't get anymore practice in than you do...
Old Law Dawg
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

I don't know why I abuse myself
:shock: :shock: I thought this was a family friendly place :twisted:

Griff, by the look of those pics you could have found parking for the motor home and three trailers.

I shot my first silly wet match on Saturday and am definitely hooked, though with a score of 17/40 with the .357 I think practice would be anything but sinful.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

[quote="gundownunder"]I shot my first silly wet match[/quote

And, you thought I was pushing the line. You silly Ozzies....... :D
Old Law Dawg
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Griff,
Glad to see you had a blast. :D Those silhouettes sure are a challenge. The game is addicting and the harder you try, the more misses you get. Sure is fun trying though. :D

Cimarron Red and I go back a bunch of years. In my opinion, one of the best, if not THE best offhand rifle shooter I have ever known. I learned a lot from him. I don't even attend some of the matches where we used to shoot together because well, it just ain't the same without Reds.

Did he tell you about the 9 special order 1894 in 38-55 he has? One of the rarest leverguns I ever laid eyes on. I've been trying for years to sneak that away from him :D :D --------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Cimarron Red
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cimarron Red »

Hey, Griff,

Weather aside, it was a pleasure to meet and shoot with you. We usually have some wind at Golden, but today was the worst I've tried to shoot in. Had we continued, those little .32-20 bullets might have been blown right back at us! Remember, weather permitting, we have three matches per month -- one for each levergun discipline. Hope to see you at Golden again. And thanks for the kind words about my shooting!

As I drove home, I was concerned about the weather over the Palmer Divide, but as I approached Castle Rock, just a bit south of Denver, the weather cleared to sunny skies!

And Sixgun, as always, I miss shooting with you! Of course, everyone knows that you're heaping all the praise on my shooting just to improve your chances of snagging that .38-55 away from me!