Bullet Drop cheat Sheet.....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Bullet Drop cheat Sheet.....

Post by deerwhacker444 »

I'm getting ready to go on an elk hunt and I'm trying to put some stuff together, want to see what you seasoned elk professionals think.

I'm shooting a .270 Win. just because that's what I own. My load is a 130gr. TSX traveling at 2800 (chron'd) with a BC of .431. It's not a barn burner, but it shoots accurately out of my rifle. I'm also using a rangefinder to get accurate readings on distance.

I've zeroed my rifle for a 225 yard zero and have practiced that far and I'm 100% confident in my setup. It will shoot MOA or better out to here.

So I wanted to make a card to look at for reference, just in case I get a good broadside shot at a nice animal that is further than I've originally planned, I'd rather be prepared than have no idea.

I asked on this forum for measurements and settled on 27" for an elk from top of back to bottom of belly. This dimension easily splits up into 3's for holdover.

Here's what the math says my bullet will do:

300: -7.1
350: -13.9
400: -23
500: -48

Granted,..I don't want to take a long shot, I'd much rather settle for a nice 100 yard shot. But, I've got to ask, and I'm wearing my flame proof shorts.

Using the math above, and splitting an elk into thirds of 9", I came up with this drawing.

Does this look like an accurate depiction of drop and where you would hold-over, using my numbers..?

375 yards would be holding at the top of the back. (probably the farthest I'd shoot)
425 yards would be holding a 1/3 high.
500 yards would be holding one elk width high.

Again,..I probably wouldn't even take such a long shot with my setup, but I'd like to know if my math is right or if I'm close.

What say you,...Fire away....
Last edited by deerwhacker444 on Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Bullet Drop cheat Sheet.....

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Take it out and test that drop chart on paper if you can find a range long enough to do it.
It looks right but without a Chrono and test firing it is all guess work. :wink:
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

The Hornady site has a ballistic calculator that you enter your data ie fps, bc, etc and it will generate a data sheet cw cheat sheet. Might be a help.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
hartman
Levergunner 1.0

Post by hartman »

Since you've got your fire proof shorts on.

300 yards is a fer piece. You, (me either) can not see 6" at 300 yards, let alone 30" of drop in country that's most likely much different than you are used to. Without special (read high dollar) equipment I wouldn't shoot much farther than your parcticed range. If you don't have a range finder buy one. You'll be surprised at what you learn.

I'm a little touchy about this because of the foor dead bulls that were left for the bears that I found this year. Also when I ran into two footbackers that had shot at an elk across a canyon. Do yourself a favor and take reasonable shots.

Respectfully,
Hartman
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

hartman wrote: If you don't have a range finder buy one.

I've got a range finder, so there won't be any guess work in yardage. If there's any cross-wind blowing, forget it. I won't be taking any risky shots. That's as far as the range I have access to goes. I've practiced alot, and have burned up a couple hundred $$ bucks worth of bullets (danged Barnes) so I'm really confident in my shooting. Thanks for sharing your concerns.
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

deerwhacker444 wrote:
375 yards would be holding at the top of the back. (probably the farthest I'd shoot)
I believe you are thinking right with that. While I'm not a seasoned elk pro, I have logged quite a few miles chasing them around the mountains of Idaho. While I hunted with a substantially larger caliber, a 338 Win, I always limited myself to distances that I would still hold "on hair".
NRA Life Member
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

There's an old axium from the old guys that says if you have to hold over the hair your shooting to far.
My basic advise is with your load hold dead center of the shoulder. If the bullet goes low the elk is to far to be shooting at anyway.
Once you do trip that trigger , keep right on shooting until that elks not moving anymore. To many folks think that if an elk doesn't drop at the shot it was a miss. Elk don't know they're supposed to fall over drt, unless you spine em.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

What magnification scope will you be using...?

At 500 yards, 9" looks like under 2" at 100 yards, and is right at 1/2 MIL, or under 2 MOA, if I understand it right (which is not at all certain). Being able to see that precisely with my eyes, I've usually had to use a 24x (or greater) scope, and so many experienced hunters use only 4x or maybe 10x at most. I couldn't even SEE well enough to differentiate 2" at 100 yards with any degree of certainty unless at least 16x or preferably 24x magnification is had...

Anyway, just curious.

If you know your trajectory, are an accurate shot, and can truly judge and account for wind (mastering those accounts for 'placement'), the only other ballistic issue is remaining 'power/penetration' (will a 1,000 ft-lb at 500 yards bullet of the right construction do the job). The remaining factor that seems hard to deal with would be the 'time of flight' issue, in that if the animal happens to bolt suddenly as you pull the trigger, it will not be where it needs to be 0.6 seconds or so later when the bullet is there. Kind of like the bow hunters have to deal with, only at 60 yards.

Anyway, mostly just wondered about the scope you'll use; I don't have any experience or useful advice on the 'drop' issue, other than if possible to shoot some shots at the longest distances possible, even if they have to wait until you're "out there" the day before the hunt. Mathmatically, it makes more sense in terms of accuracy to measure your actual point of impact at 800 yards, then use ballistic software to project what it must be at 400 yards, than to measure it at 200 yards, and try to project it at 400 yards.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Marc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marc »

Unless you are hunting in flat country you had better look at what shooting uphill and downhill does to trajectory. It will make a big difference at long range. For example my partner and I killed two elk last year at a bit beyond 400 yards. We were shooting steeply down hill. I used a 300 Weatherby that hits 11" low at 400 yards. I held just below the top of the back on a cow and my partner told me I was high as he saw dirt kick up behind her. The cow just stood there so I held down in the body and dropped her. It turned out the bullets were hitting right at point of aim. The first one hit just beyond the spine and exited down on her side. The second one was mid body.

Elk are big animals. It is a lot easier to see where you are on one than it is on one of our little deer out here.
My "HB" (Hunting Buddy) She's a good cook too!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Did you shoot the rig at that distance friend? can be quite sobering!

Just this morning I tried mine at range, at 385 PACES I had miss judged my hold and was low by 3", Bearing in mind I did not know the distance at first! Not to bad all things considered. The two shots were 2" apart!! Shot from a prone position.

At 200 PACES I got one in the 3" bull but throw one shot left by 3" from a prone position!

To my thoughts I had shot very well and could not understand how I had thrown the shot!

I'm sure you will do fine, your ethics will moderate you.

Good luck.

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!