Knife Sharpening...?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Knife Sharpening...?

Post by deerwhacker444 »

What's the best knife sharpener out there that is foolproof and semi-guaranteed to give you a nice even edge on hunting type knives.

Something like the GATCO system..?

I'm not crazy about the grinding wheel types or the carbide types that remove alot of metal from the blade.

What works well for you folk...?
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Knife Sharpening...?

Post by Catshooter »

Lansky.

Foolproof angles. I just use their regular set, not the diamond set. After the first use, it's extremly fast to touch up/re-sharpen.

Cat
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I use the course side of a flat diamond stone to get the edge cleaned up, and then the fine side to put a final sharp edge on it. Crock sticks will finish a sharp edge into a razor edge.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I am sharpening challanged. But some years ago, I picked up a Spyderco Sharpemaker. I got it mostly for the serrated edge models, but found out I could finally get a good edge on things. You might give it a look.
http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=77
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

Several years ago I took the time to learn how to properly sharpen a knife. I've used diamond stones, even strop em with leather to slick the edge up, etc. BUT then I got lazy and bought a Lansky CROC STIC system. The one I got is four ceramic sticks and the holder. It is near foolproof and FAST to get a real nice edge.
Certified gun nut
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Short of using shop equipment (belt sander/buffers) to put an edge on I've only ever used stones, or wet/dry sandpaper on a flat stick. I find with the knife chucked up in padded vise jaws I have more control with the flat stick. WARNING! Your fingers are very close to the sharpened edge and if you have a lapse of attention you will pay the price. Always wanted to try the diamond hones.
Old Law Dawg
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

When we moved to Africa I brought a goodly crew of good knives with me. After a month here I realized I had not brought any way to sharpen them! A good friend said he had a knife sharpening kit and would send it to me.

When it arrived I found a brand-new LANSKY kit! I had never used one but within a few times of using it I can put an edge on a blade that will shave. Knives can get used hard here, and I have found this kit to be invaluable!
brno602
Levergunner 2.0

Post by brno602 »

Catshooter wrote:Lansky.

Foolproof angles. I just use their regular set, not the diamond set. After the first use, it's extremly fast to touch up/re-sharpen.

Cat
+ 1! the lansky works great I am a ''okay'' knife sharpener, but once in a wile it is nice to get them really sharp I use the lansky then a fine wet stone or fine diamond to get them perfect.
And once that angle is set right, you are right it is easy to keep them very sharp.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I use a Diamond Lap tool, the plain round one with a brass handle. I've used stones and other sharpeners, but the Diamond Lap is the simplest and easiest for me to use, especially on my Randall made knife.

They say they last forever, but I find they wear down and lose some effectiveness. They need to be kept clean also. I keep a new one in the truck where I may need it for the Randall or in the filed, and used ones for kitchen or other use. I can keep my knives shaving sharp rather easily with the Diamond Lap.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

kimwcook wrote:Short of using shop equipment (belt sander/buffers) to put an edge on I've only ever used stones.
Yep, I'm with the Law Dawg. I must have 20 stones around here of varying coarseness. (is that a word?) If you don't dig in the dirt or wack the edge with a hammer, it usually only takes a minute to get her back in business. Use a good oil with it and pay attention to the angle.

I've been doing it so long like that my brain will automatically hold the edge on about a 20 degree angle.

I even keep a stone in my locker at work. One day about five years ago, my buddy George asked me to sharpen his pocket knife. I put a good edge on it for him. Ten minutes after giving it to him, he comes back with his thumb in just about 2 pieces---blood all over the place. I patched him up and advised him to get more sleep at night and leave the weed alone. :D --------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

Knife Sharpening is one of those 'religious' arguments, like 9mm v. .45, wet or dry honing, M-16 v. M-14, or a lot of other topics much discussed many times to no end.

Anyone that uses one of those grinding stone motorized sharpeners doesn't know what they're doing, far as I'm concerned and they're probably ruining a good knife. These systems remove too much metal and don't give you the control a hand system does.

Any sharpening set that helps you set a consistent angle is good. Lansky set is good for that. Only think I don't like about the Lansky is that right angle guide rod attachment into the stone - eventually you will get a crack there in the plastic. The Gatco system a avoids that with a straight-in connection.

Both systems are good on smaller knives but when you get into bigger chef's knives, katanas, etc., I'm not really happy with using them for that.

Regardless, I've a Lansky set that I wore down the medium stone into a deep curve from lots of use. I have a small bottle of kerosene that I use for wet honing.
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

I used to do the Arkansas stone thing. Now I just use a Gerber Sportsman Steel. It works great and only takes a minute.
willygene
Levergunner 2.0

Post by willygene »

Arkansas oil stone to get a good edge then a leather strop with red cake jewlers rouge. I have a saddle shop and i sharpen knives all day long just got used to doing it that way, once i get a good edge on the blade usually all i have to do is strop it a little over two or three days before i use a stone again.
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

Over 25 years I've completely worn out 2 Lansky systems. I'm hoping that a diamond set will be under the Christmas tree with my name on it :wink: .

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

For those who don't have a learned skill with a stone used freehand, the Lansky and the Gatco are both very easy to use and quite effective. A Warthog V-sharp is also a good system for those who need help, plus it is incredibly easy and fast.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Another vote for the Lansky.
NRA Life Member
rogn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rogn »

Really like the Lansky but ya gotta watch the angles on smaller thick blades, the clamp and the angle accross the blade can trip you up. The blade is wedge shaped in cross section, so you should follow the same sequence each timne you use it to keep angles consistant. Got an "Edgecrafter" -three sheet metal diamond covered"files" that lock onto a strong magnet/ handle. Never used the coarse file- it might be ok to reshape an axe blade. The medium will quickly reshape an abused knife and the fine will give you a nice near razor that just needs a steel or strop. Relatively inexpensive in todays market. The best thing Ive found for honing is liquid dishwashing detergent and water, mix to consistancy of light oil and go to it. The bosslady/queenbee has much less objection to it than hard to clean up oils. It also doesnt clot up on quality stones, like Arkansas, indias, etc. Rinse and you have a good clean stone for the next honing.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

With the Forschner kitchen knives all I have ever used on them in more than 30 years is a steel. I also use cermamic sticks at three different angles depending on the knife. When I was a kid I used an oil stone on my Model 51 Camillus and kept hair shaving edge on the main blade.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

I use a set of Smith Croc sticks that I bought many years ago.

My blades are usually sharp so it does not take long to get them back to the point I like.

My every Day carry is a Case trapper. I do a touch up a couple times a Week on both blades.

For a more agressive sharpen I use an Arkansas wet stone, then finish with the Croc's.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
lthardman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by lthardman »

Stay away from anything electric or with a spinning wheel unless you really know what you are doing.

Lansky works great for mot people who have not gotten used to using a regular stone.

For quick touch-ups, I like the ceramic rods that can be put in a base at just the right angles. Very quick, and very effective, and very safe for both the knife and the user.
"Now it cuts like a knife, but it feels so right." - Bryan Adams
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Sixgun wrote:[. I patched him up and advised him to get more sleep at night and leave the weed alone. :D --------------Sixgun

Great advice on getting more sleep ----- but leaving the weed alone? Cmon - thats pushin it :lol:
----- Doug
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

Thanks for all the advice. I had some Cabelas points and they're having a free shipping thing going on, so I bought the GATCO Diamond set along with the ceramic finishing hone. Looks to be almost foolproof, which is what I need.
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I envy those who can put a real edge on a blade. I can't sharpen a knife to save my life. Tried and tried, but no mater what I always make them duller. I have a Lansky kit and I can't do it with that either.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

J Miller wrote:I envy those who can put a real edge on a blade. I can't sharpen a knife to save my life. Tried and tried, but no mater what I always make them duller. I have a Lansky kit and I can't do it with that either.

Joe
Are you doing the correct side of the knife? At your age, things DO get confusing at times.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Joe, I have a BIL with your same problem. He bought a Lansky set and I had to go show him how to use it. When we were done he still couldn't sharpen a knife . In the time it takes to get all the stuff out of the Lansky kit I can have a knife shaving sharp using my Spyderco set. I've sharpened everything from fish hooks to wood chisels with it. It will also turn a serated edged knife into something you've never seen before. Last but not least I can and have sharpened potato peelers with them. If you have never used a sharp potato peeler you don't know what you're missing.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Reading all of the answers to the question "What is the best ..." proves again that there is no "BEST". "Best" is what works for you. My Dad could put a shaving edge on blades with a couple files and a leather strap. It surely was not the "best" but he did it for 70 years and it worked for him.

What is the best for you? What you learn to use well. If you can take the time to learn to really use it well, it will do the job. If you can't use it, it won't matter what anyone else can do with it.
foxtrapper
Levergunner 2.0

Post by foxtrapper »

Great topic for the holidays. I went on Lansky's site and viewed the "how to use" video. It convinced me that my brother n' law could use this :lol: Actually ordered two sets from Amazon ,one for him and.................me :wink:
Eli Chaps
Levergunner

Post by Eli Chaps »

Arkansas stones and a cup of coffee. To me, it ain't so much about the sharpening as the therapy. :wink:
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

FOr about 10 years or so I sharpened my knife everyday at work while I checked voice mail and scanned emails and drank my morning coffee by flipping over one the ceramic coffee mug I kept on my desk as a pen/pencil holder and running the knife edge over the ceramic edge. I would wet the edge with a dab of coffee, and hold the edge at about a 20 degree angle and draw the knife back and against the edge of the mug dozen or os times. Flip over and repeat. That kept a nice sharp edge even though I used it constantly to cut plastic strap, newsprint, occasionally some wire or rubber hose.

The ceramic used in the coffee mug is the same ceramic they use to make knife sharpeners. But it was a cheap, small knife much abused and neglected. Any knife with special value to me I use my Lansky systme.

Wm
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

I use a DMT folding med & fine grit diamond sharpener on the Swedish knives the bevel is the guide and they are made of sandvik carbon or stainless steel you cant go wrong with 13$ knives.I use a orange one they are easy to find if you drop one and you dont feel to bad if you loose one. danny

http://www.ragweedforge.com/860f.jpg
http://www.ragweedforge.com/SwedishKnifeCatalog.html
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

What some don't realize is that a razor edge is great for shaving, but not necessarly the best for working, slicing, skinning etc. A kind-of test for a decent working edge is to slide it on a fingernail, and if it digs in, your on the right track. If it slides, try again. Also, and this is a subjective discription, if you look at the edge in the light, if you can "see" the edge, you need to take a little more metal off of it.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
brno602
Levergunner 2.0

Post by brno602 »

I should add it also depends on the knife steel,I have a knife made in Brazil that is so tough too sharpen, but once sharp holds a edge for a long time. It's not really a hunting knife more like a Rambo big knife 8'' Blade I think if I remember right a Tramotino or something like that?
My Old Browning Tracker sharpens very good and same with my Normark.
Funny thing is I bought my best friend a new hunting knife for xmas,
I am still bleeding because I played with it! :lol:
I took off the tip protector then poked myself in the thumb.
kooz
Levergunner 2.0

Post by kooz »

I struggled with knife sharpening for years, then I bought one of these Spyderco sharpeners, WOW !! these things work great and their easy to use, also comes with a video of exactly how to use it.
http://www.amazon.com/Spyderco-Tri-Angl ... B000Q9C4AE
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

J Miller wrote:I envy those who can put a real edge on a blade. I can't sharpen a knife to save my life. Tried and tried, but no mater what I always make them duller. I have a Lansky kit and I can't do it with that either.

Joe

Joe, I was like that once. BUT, I decided sharpening a knife properly was just one of those things a man ought to know how to do. I did a bit of reading, then bought an "open" diamond "stone", a leather strop mounted on wood, and some compound. Unless it's real bad, put away the Arkansas stone. Now here's the secret:::::

Start with about a 15-17 degree angle, no more, and "slice" into the stone about 10 times per side, (use water on the stone), maybe two or three cycles until the knife no longer wants to dig in. You have established a a PRIMARY angle. Now adjust yer angle (use a protractor at first, till yer eye can see it), to about 5 degrees MORE angle, 20-22 degrees, and repeat the process until yer not digging in. Now ya have a secondary edge. (Under magnification it'd look like a dutch barn roof of sorts, two angles, one a little less steep toward the peak). Now strop it using a leather strop loaded with compound, dragging the blade backward at a slight angle.

that method will create a shaving sharp edge on most decent steels, and I don't mean bear down and maybe pop a hair loose of the back of yer arm, I mean sharp enough so hairs fairly fly away ahead of the blade. yet because you have a compound angle, it is much stronger, less resistant to buggering up, and lasts longer.

If ya look at Lansky" "croc stix", the four stick set uses two pairs of stics and two sets of holes in the base to provide JUST that kinda compound edge. it is easier to use, but in a way is less satisfying than being able to do it by eye and feel.....
Certified gun nut
soon 2 retire
Levergunner 2.0

Post by soon 2 retire »

Back in April Chuck 100yd described the sharpening method of an old German guy who worked at Puma knives. Here it is:

Sharpening the German guys way......

I will try to keep it short and simple.
Clean and oil/wet your stone. Lay the blade flat on the stone. Lift the back of the blade about 1/8 to 1/4" off the stone while the edge is still in contact with the stone. This is to establish the angle you want the cutting bevel to be.
Always keeping this angle as close as possible,now sweep the blade over the face of the stone as if you were cutting a thin slice off the face of the stone. make long strokes the length of the stone and sweeping the blade in such a manner as to work the entire cutting edge from end to end. Apply light but firm pressure on the blade and sweep it across cutting edge first. Never drag the blade backwards. Lift the blade off the stone after each stroke.
Depending on if the edge is very dull or just needs touching up will determine weather you need a course or fine stone. Badly abused bldes will need the bevel completely re made and a very course stone will be needed to do this.
Now, sweep the blade across the stone as described above 10 times on one side and flip the blade and repeat 10 times on the other side.
Next 9 times per side and then 8 times per side.
Do this until you are down to 1 pass per side of the blade. Remember your angle, if it changes as you sharpen you are wasting your time and will end up with a dull blade.
You should now have a blade with a good edge and only need to strop it remove the faint wire edge that forms from stoning.
I have a heavy piece of saddle leather glued to a piece of wood and coated with jewelers rouge that I strop with.
When stropping you drag the blade backwards but at the same angle you used to sharpen. You are only trying to remove that fine wire edge that will only bend over and make it dull again if not removed.
If the blade is truly sharp,just try this. Holding the end of the handle between two fingers lay the cutting edge across your thumb nail. Now drag it across your nail. If dull,it will feel dull, if sharp it will make your skin crawl. Happy sharpening

PS, using a steel only straightens out a bent wire edge and returns sharpness for a short time. A knife that is truly sharp will shave the hair off your arm as slick as can be.
I used to walk around with hairless arms all the time. I don`t have to prove to myself that they are sharp any more.

Bob in NE Indiana
Don't look back something might be gaining on you.
-Leroy "Satchel" Paige
Scott Young
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott Young »

I know this will shock most of you but I sharpen most of my knives with a single cut bastard file. If you strop the blade you will shave hair, if you stop before the setting in of the "teeth". I want a knife that is scary sharp and will cut anything I put the blade too. I have found over the years that this method is the fastest and best method for sharpening for me. I can repair a nick in a blade quickly or produce a final finished edge depending upon how much pressure and what angle I use with the cutting teeth of the file.

I have some knives that I use this whole process for and others I stop before cutting in of the "teeth". I keep my wife's, mom's, and ma-in-law's kitchen knives scary sharp.

These are from an archery forum one of the users posted. This man changed everything for me in archery to knives when it came to sharpening. Take a junk knife and play with it. You will love it I am sure.

click on the image and it will play a video

Last edited by Scott Young on Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

Crock Sticks or other similar contraptions. I use a small field carry set availble from AG Russell in Lowell Arkansas. It has two pairs of rods, one coarse for edge/angle maintenance and another for fine sharpening. Been using similar kit for 35 years. Good to go.
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

kooz wrote:I struggled with knife sharpening for years, then I bought one of these Spyderco sharpeners, WOW !! these things work great and their easy to use, also comes with a video of exactly how to use it.
http://www.amazon.com/Spyderco-Tri-Angl ... B000Q9C4AE

+1 - My experrience also. :mrgreen:
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
mklwhite
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mklwhite »

Eli Chaps wrote:Arkansas stones and a cup of coffee. To me, it ain't so much about the sharpening as the therapy. :wink:
+1 :D
I have always used stones. Real stones that I have found at the creek where my grandparents lived. That was where my grandpa showed me how to look for "good" ones and how certain stones were good for certain kinds of sharpening. (coarse/fine) (He also showed me the army coffee cup thing too. I use to have one of those old army coffee cups but it disappeared in the last move. :( ) I have had a couple "store bought" stone sets given me. I have had indifferent success with tinkering with those. But a real stone (especially mine) shaving sharp is just a few minutes away.