How many Korean vets on the forum?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Hobie

How many Korean vets on the forum?

Post by Hobie »

I had no intention of hijacking Jim's topic so I split this out...

I wonder, how many Korean vets do we have on the forum? Blaine is one as well. Others?
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Boreman
Levergunner 3.0

Re: OT - the impact of a life

Post by Boreman »

Bump !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

See Hobie's comment. How many Korean vet's do we have ???????????????
Model-71's forever !!!!
NRA Patriot Life Member
Endowment level
FOPA #5
GOA,Inc
WVCDL,INC
AkRay
Levergunner 2.0

Post by AkRay »

My dad was an Air Force vet. He was in Korea from 1950-51 or so.
papasan
Levergunner 2.0

Post by papasan »

Hobie wrote:I wonder, how many Korean vets do we have on the forum? Blaine is one as well. Others?
Well. was stationed at Osan AB November 1984-November 85. USAF,
51st Supply Squardron. Pcs from Clark
AB Philippines, then Pcs back to
Clark after Osan. Lucky i guess.
By the way very nice heartwarming
event in 1966.

papasan
Ysabel Kid

Re: How many Korean vets on the forum?

Post by Ysabel Kid »

FIL was in Korea.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I was in Korea in 1988. Camp Greaves. It was north of the Imjin River. Just after crossing Freedom Bridge, the road went up a hill and curved left. You could look left at that time and see our base. We were a T.O.W. missile Infantry battalion with HMMWVs and we spent a lot of time looking through night vision devices at North Korea from Guardpost Collier and Guardpost Oullette. I also spent some time on M.A.C.E. patrol. Dolphin's Head and Scary Finger became familiar landmarks. As we were still required to get a pass to go down South to anywhere, we didn't get off post very often except for military purposes. I saw Itaewon 8 times that year, 7 of which were during the Olympics. Seeing the Olympics that year was a real treat. We were allowed to purchase tickets and would be given a pass if we did. I got to see FloJo win a couple of Gold Medals, and saw Carl Lewis run. I have even met the US Highjumper who won the Gold Medal in the Women's competition that year. Louise Ritter is from Red Oak, TX where I live.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I just wanted to remind those who might not know that the war in Korea is NOT over. There IS a truce but recent events have demonstrated that the North Koreans (PRK), at least the government, do see this war as continuing. They would like nothing more than to reunite the peninsula under their control. All who serve there ARE vets.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
CEMENTHEAD
Levergunner 3.0

Post by CEMENTHEAD »

2nd Infantry Div both times Hobie. :o :shock: AND I was on orders to go back when I ETS'd in '98 !!!! :roll:

I enjoyed my tours of the R.O.K. , however I couldn't do another hardship tour.

Camp Nimble, 1992-93, B Co 702 MSB (TRANS)

Camp Stanley, 1995-96, A Battery 38th FA (MLRS)

Thanks, Tom
War sees no color, sex, or ethnic background - wars only see blood shed by our heroes for our freedoms.

I Am An American! Fighting for our Country and our way of life.

Fourth Generation Veteran and Proud !!
Boreman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Boreman »

Kunsan AFB Korea,Weapons Load 166 TFS,1968-1969 . Hand salute to all of my commrads on the forum !!!!!!!!
Model-71's forever !!!!
NRA Patriot Life Member
Endowment level
FOPA #5
GOA,Inc
WVCDL,INC
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

I've been into North Korea a couple times in the late 1980's ... nothing has changed since then (apart from the transition from Kim Il Sung to Kim Jong Il) unless it is for the worse. All I can say is that it is a powder keg waiting to blow. Of all the nations that have nuclear devices, I would say that the DPRK is the most likely to use them and by 'most likely' I would say it is not 'if' but 'when' for the one or two they may have already. This is not a nation we can negotiate with. Anyone who thinks you can negotiate with the DPRK is living in la la land. The people in control are, in my opinion, paranoid and have a very dysfunctional view of reality. If hostilities do break out, then the only plan of action I would recommend is to not hold anything back whatsoever and to secure the one or two nukes they likely have ASAP. If there are any 'talks' to be had, they should be had after they surrender. In my opinion, there are two nations for which the liberals had better get off their backsides and start taking very, very seriously ..... North Korea and Iran.
Last edited by KirkD on Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

Hobie wrote:I just wanted to remind those who might not know that the war in Korea is NOT over. There IS a truce but recent events have demonstrated that the North Koreans (PRK), at least the government, do see this war as continuing. They would like nothing more than to reunite the peninsula under their control. All who serve there ARE vets.
Yep - started about 4:00 PM - June 25th, 1950 and the "cease fire" signed July 23rd, 1953 - which is still being violated by North Korea - but, when they do it - the UN speaks harshly to them - I re-upped" knowing they couldn't win without me - turned out - they couldn't win with me - bloodiest war by the week we'd ever experienced - for what ??. :evil:
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

:lol: I'm not sure how old Hobie thinks I am, but I didn't serve in the Korean War...just a couple tours in the late seventies and early eighties.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
lthardman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by lthardman »

My wife was born while my father in law served in Korea. He recently was looking at my M1 Garand and M1 Carbine (he used both) and it brought back a lot of memories.
"Now it cuts like a knife, but it feels so right." - Bryan Adams
Cliff
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Cliff »

Korea was always in the news when I was a kid. Remember the commentaters going on about McCarthurs Incheon landins would end the war in a heart beat. Of course it didn't happen. Knew a lot of Vets from that war most all gone now. I am curious as I see some were in the Artillery and I just saw a post over on another forum about a 1st Lt. Eric Fisher Wood who was with the 106th Infantry Division Battery A 589th Field Artillery Battalion and was in the Battle of The Bulge. He refused surrender, managed to fight from December 16 at the start of the battle and remained behind enemy lines and was killed around January 22,1944 surrounded with 7 dead germans. Quite a story. He was able to pull only 3 guns out of morass of muddy roads, and held off repeated attacks, then went into the woods and with one or two other G.I.'s continued to fight until the germans were driven back. Raised heck with the german military but they couldn't find him as he lived off the land and found food where he could. Pretty good reading. I am curious did any of you while in training for Artillery ever hear of this officer and his exploits? Curious.....
markinalpine
Levergunner 2.0

Post by markinalpine »

2nd ID, 1978-1979, Camp Casey (yeah, I know, a REMF.)
Any way you sell it,
No matter how you spell it,
When you start to smell it,
BO stinks.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

markinalpine wrote:2nd ID, 1978-1979, Camp Casey (yeah, I know, a REMF.)
I was at EUSA - UNC..There really were no Rear Areas over there..The bad guys were known to be on compound, and once knifed some KATUSAs in their barracks. :o

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

I see I left out what, to me, was the most ironic thing about the "Cease Fire" was that our president then was the Army General whose philosophy stated was "Never accept anything except complete surrender.".

However, the decision was made by the UN and not the USA. Ike was right, though.

The other thing that should be remembered, though, IMO, is that Korea was subject to horrible Japanese brutality prior to WW II - and only fairly recently did Japan acknowledge ( ?? apologize for ) that.
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

OJ wrote:I see I left out what, to me, was the most ironic thing about the "Cease Fire" was that our president then was the Army General whose philosophy stated was "Never accept anything except complete surrender.".

However, the decision was made by the UN and not the USA. Ike was right, though.

The other thing that should be remembered, though, IMO, is that Korea was subject to horrible Japanese brutality prior to WW II - and only fairly recently did Japan apologize for that.
The US was not prepared physically or mentally for a WWIII with China. At the time, USSR would have gone in on China's side. MacAuthor should have known what would happen when he approched the China border. Only Nukes would have stopped them, and the USSR would have vaporized us in exchange.
Following this mistake to a conclusion, the US/UNC military had to abandon enough material that they could use it to supply the Viet Cong in their seige at Dien Bien Phoo (not sure I spelled that right) the dedicated little **** would take 105 shells one at a time over the mountain with bicycles..

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
markinalpine
Levergunner 2.0

Post by markinalpine »

BlaineG wrote:
markinalpine wrote:2nd ID, 1978-1979, Camp Casey (yeah, I know, a REMF.)
I was at EUSA - UNC..There really were no Rear Areas over there..The bad guys were known to be on compound, and once knifed some KATUSAs in their barracks. :o
I was on the DISCOM staff. Not only did everyone else in the Division call us REMFs, but we had, at the time, a somewhat loony LTC as the Exec. One exercise, the referees, "Red-Tagged" our Colonel, so LTC Nut-Job took over. He had us break camp at 0100, and move out WAAAY ahead of schedule, and we ended up in position 4 hours before the combat guys.
"DISCOM Leads The Attack!"
Now the CO, this real tall, red-headed COL we called (behind his back, of course, and with a little affection) Big-Foot, or Sasquatch, had to stay out there with us, but he wasn't allowed to interfere. He walked aroung, proudly displaying his Red-Tag hanging around his collar, shaking his head and laughing.

Merry Christmas,
Mark :lol:
Any way you sell it,
No matter how you spell it,
When you start to smell it,
BO stinks.
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

In December, 1950, the Eighth army on the west side of Korea and th 1st Division Marines were at the Yalu river and Chosin reservoir on the east side when some 300,000 Chinese troops crossed the river and attacked. The Eighth Army retreated in total disarray leaving equipment, etc. where it was. The first division Marines under Generals O.P. Smith & "Chesty" Puller (Retreat - Hell - we're just fighting in a different direction) managed an orderly retreat south - even rebuilding a bridge to get back - and brought all equipment and wounded troops (and many KIA troops) back to Hungnam and the ships waiting for them.

Our fighter pilots reported regularly there were Russian MIG fighters participating along the Yalu river.

General MacArthur was long gone before the Cease-Fire was negotiated - there was much speculating on how the Chinese and Russian forces would respond but, it was just that - speculation.

What is not just speculation is how great the "Cease Fire" has worked out.
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Where most of the equipment was left behind was when everyone was pushed to Pusan. The Chinese poured across the border when Mac got close. The two were not related. The Inchon landing was genius and lead the breakout from Pusan.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

My Father was in Korea. He never talks about it but from how it was explained to me, he was in the worst of the worst, fighting against the Chinese. All he ever told me was about how they had to change machine gun barrels before they got too hot and started to slump, that they had a bucket of water with gloves to change the barrels. And that the Chinese came at them in wave after wave. He was in the Army from '51-'53 and I believe he mentioned he was there when the Armistice was signed.

My Father and I have been estranged for almost 30 years. When I talked to my Grandmother about it she wasn't surprised. She told me, word for word, "the young man I sent to war was not the one that came home to me. 'My' boy never came home". My Uncle who was in Vietnam agreed with Grandma 100%.

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

Actually, the problem the !st Division Marines at the "Frozen Chosin" reservoir fighting those some 300.000 Chinese who came over the Yalu river was not that their guns got too hot. For openers, they didn't have winter equipment and clothing and, it was so cold, the semi-automatic weapons (M1 Garands & M1 Carbines) and automatic weapons wouldn't function - even when they removed as much lubrication stuff they could.

Those of us who had served in WW II were accustomed to having our country 100% supportive of us and - we encountered an entirely different attitude regarding the Korean War. I personally had members of my immediate family even deny we were at war. I was a Medical officer and we had civilian consultants to help us read our X-Rays - I took one by his house after work (about 5:00 PM) and he met me on the front porch - took the X-ray into his living room for more light, and brought it back out to where I was standing on his entry and gave (sold actually - he was getting paid by my department for that reading) me the reading - never inviting me into his home - and I had no reason to believe it would have interrupted his social life that moment - I just wasn't welcome in his house.

Our base had no club for enlisted men and the county was "dry" so our guys had to pay to join a "club" in bars just to drink a beer after duty - a far different scene from WW II when it was nearly impossible for us to buy ourselves a beer off duty - because there was no shortage of those wanting to buy the beer for us. Our AWOL rate was often highest in our command and I did all I could to help my troops - but it was often three or four weeks AWOL would result in only "non-judicial punishment" where max confinement to the base (not brig) could not exceed two weeks.

Possibly your dad was "estranged" for reasons not put into words - guess we'll never know. There were many things different about the Korean War.
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

KirkD wrote:The people in control are, in my opinion, paranoid and have a very dysfunctional view of reality.
That's why they get along so well with our current administration... :?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

AJMD429 wrote:
KirkD wrote:The people in control are, in my opinion, paranoid and have a very dysfunctional view of reality.
That's why they get along so well with our current administration... :?
This pains me beyond belief, but HillaryTheHag is doing a bang-up job doing the right things with those bunch of murderers......Kicking NK azz is not an option, unless you would like WWIII with China about now, or giving up SK for all time.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

My brother was there 1951-1953.
I was there Jan. 1970-April 1971. Troop B, 4th Squadron, 7th cavalry, camp J.E.B. Stuart, the last compound south of Freedom Bridge,
As strike force for the division we were always being called on alert.
One compound alert we had just taken our positions when every jeep, truck, bus, and ambulance north of the river came flying across the bridge. We thought for sure Joe had jumped. We later learned that it was the Pueblo crew coming home.
mark
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mark »

FWIW,

I played golf today with a Korean Vet, UK from York, 70++, threw his medals into the dustbin years ago.

Another, from the UK, future medico, dead now.

I never asked, they never spoke about it.

All the best for a happy and safe Christmas
milton
Levergunner 2.0

Post by milton »

Spent all of '72 and part of '73 at Camp Casey.Was there when the Second Infantry first came in.We brought in a new weapons system and a lot of noise was made about it.Apart from a bunch of Army stuff I actually enjoyed Korea.We did a lot of hiking and mountain climbing in the Area and being a geologist I saw much mineral wealth in the country.Wouldn't mind going back as a civilian!
"Knowledge without understanding is a dangerous thing. For a little knowledge entices us to walk its path, a bit more provides the foundation on which we take our stand, and a sufficient amount can erect a wall of knowledge around us, trapping us in our own ignorance."