Poll: Do you own a "Trapper" length lever gun?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Poll: Do you own a "Trapper" length lever gun?

Post by J Miller »

Trapper length lever guns are quite handy and their usefullness was briefly discussed in bluesman423's thread; 30-30 velocity loss in 16" barrel:
{ viewtopic.php?f=1&t=32004 }

So here are the questions:

1> Do you have a (any) Trapper length (16" barrel) lever gun(s)?
2> What brand and caliber is it?
3> Is it factory or custom?
4> Have you used it hunting and if so what was the results?

I'll start.
I have two, both Winchesters.
One a 1980 94 in 30-30.
And a 1985 94AE in .45 Colt.
Both were bought new and are factory Trapper models.

I haven't taken any game with either of them ... yet.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Re: Poll: Do you own a "Trapper" length lever gun?

Post by jkbrea »

I got a Winchester 94 in .357. I love this little rifle. I don't hunt with it but it goes on all my camping trips in my RV. It stores very easily in the trailer. At home it stays loaded just inside my safe. It's just factory with the safety removed and a peep sight added.

Even though I have an AR15 and other duty guns, I find I like this one the best.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Two. I have a Winchester 94AE in .357 mag and a Rossi M92 in .357 mag. We like them both but the 92 is smoother. Only used for plinking - no game taken.

Best,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

I have one, Winchester.
9422 in 22LR
bought used "as new in box" .....near mint
I haven't taken any game with it ... yet.
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
rafter-7
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rafter-7 »

for short levers i got an original 1894 Marlin 15 inch 44/40 a winchester 94 .45 colt marlin 39 TD papose

Ive shot the marlin 44/40 but not at game just for fun about 100 times Ill see if i got a pic

^
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

A 1994 Winchester 94 in .30-30. Has killed many a porcupine. I've hunted with it and been close enough to poke deer in the ribs before(doe call worked!) , but never killed a deer with it. Might do it before this season is over.

It's in factory condition except for the fiber optic front sight I recently added after the factory front fell off. I will soon figure out what to do about the silly cross-bolt safety. Would love to have a .45 Colt version and sell my 24" 92 rifle someday.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
boolitshooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by boolitshooter »

I have a 94 AE trapper without the cross bolt saftey. I have swapped out the parts to remove the rebounding hammer. Very handy truck gun.
Steve
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

One, a Winchester 94 Top Eject with saddle ring in 30-30. I removed the factory rear sight, installed a Marbles barrel blank and a Lyman 66 receiver sight on it. I have had it for over 20 years and have never hunted with it.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

damienph wrote:One, a Winchester 94 Top Eject with saddle ring in 30-30. I removed the factory rear sight, installed a Marbles barrel blank and a Lyman 66 receiver sight on it. I have had it for over 20 years and have never hunted with it.
That sounds just like mine. The only difference is I used a Williams FP on mine. No idea who made the rear sight dove tail blank.

I'm gonna try to get some pics up today.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

- 1979 Win 94 SRC .30-30 - top eject, pre AE/safety and, especially being a trapper, shall never see a scope! A real kicker and flame thrower too, but a great gun. By 79, Win had made improvements to rectify much of their earlier Post 64 sins.
- 1980s Rossi 92 SRC .44 Mag - also a charmer. Pre safety, of course.

Not exactly custom, but swapped the .44's large loop for a regular one (just seemed more "right" and now the donor 20" also looks right with it's new Rifleman lever).

I would also like to outfit the Win 94 with "proper" pre-war "cowboy" carbine furniture (from Precision etc), as it's prep'd 'n ready to go by already having the ring and front post sight (both as factory equipped). The factory 79 wood is fine--and much better than a few years earlier--but the gun just seems to be begging for the original 1894 configuration. And, as most here know, the "real" article (in both 1894 and 1892 form) is one of the rarest (and hence dearly priced) of all Winchesters.It would be nice to recapture some of the old magic for much less!

No game taken, but both guns have gone on hunting treks as brush busters and trade off doing camp sentry duty in bear country.
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

J Miller wrote:
That sounds just like mine. The only difference is I used a Williams FP on mine. No idea who made the rear sight dove tail blank.

Joe
My trapper is the only one with a Lyman sight, the others have either a Williams 5D or FP on them.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

I have six; three stock - all 94AE .357, three custom - one Rossi 357, one 94 with swappable barrels 30wcf &32wcf.

Hunted the 357/360DW. Carried them a bunch with Junior Doughty's sling and love them.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

I expect my little trapper 22 to take a critter every shot unless I foul it up, why? Because it's so darned reliable n' accurate :D

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Rifleman336
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rifleman336 »

I have a Factory Marlin 1894CP "Guide Gun" in .357 Magnum. Still new never fired. Maybe as soon as I can find some work.

I did have a 1999 Rossi Puma Carbine, also in .357 Magnum. The rifle was a Pre-(Idiot)Safety. It was a great gun, but like a idiot I sold it because their was no real instructions on how to take the gun for cleaning an lubrication. If you messed with the wrong part the trigger pull would go from 5 Lbs. and to 500 Lbs. If NKJ would've had the DVD out at the time, things probably be different. OH Well, coulda, woulda, shoulda.

Rifleman 336
Never bite off more than you can chew.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Custom 1894 Winchester mfd. in 1899, 16in. 32WS. Small button buck taken with it.

Two custom Marlin 336's mfd. in 1950-52, 16in. 30-30. 140lb doe taken with one.

Custom 1892 Winchester mfd. in 1892, 16in. 44-40. Nothing taken with 16in. barrel but 185lb 8pt. taken with 20in. barrel in a previous life.

Factory Winchester 94AE pre safety in 44mag. Nothing taken.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Stan in SC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Stan in SC »

I have a model 94AE trapper in 30-30.
Not a lever gun but I also own a Handi rifle trapper in 45-70.
Both are excellent shooters but I have not yet blooded either one.

Stan in SC
The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45-70,it's almost a religion
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

I have two, both Winchesters, a 94AE in .357 with crossbolt safety and a 94AE in 44Mag with no crossbolt safety. Like 'em both but never hunted with either of them. :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Arminius
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Arminius »

[quote="J Miller"]Trapper length lever guns are quite handy and their usefullness was briefly discussed in bluesman423's thread; 30-30 velocity loss in 16" barrel:

yes2>

What brand and caliber is it?

Win 94 .30-303>

Is it factory or custom?

factory, but customised by the preowner

yes. One dead Pig - shot at 30 m, ran 60 m

darn bad stopping power

Hermann

P.S.: will not sell it, but wish it would be a .44 Mag
Last edited by Arminius on Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jimincolo
Levergunner

Post by jimincolo »

My Trapper is Model 94 in 30-30, purchased new in 1980 or 81. It was originally fitted with gold post front sight & Williams receiver, & was used as a deer rifle in GA.

In 1983, we moved to CO, & it was my only deer-elk rifle for several years. Recoil was stout with Fed. Prem. 170 Partitions, so I added a Pachmyr pad. I took my first cow elk & my first mulie with this gun. It was my usual carry & truck rifle, & was used on small game, coyotes, etc. Favored load on smaller stuff was the 130 gr. Speer F.P.

It still goes to elk camp every year, where it doubles as a camp rifle & as part of our game retrieval equipment.

IMO, there is no more handy, trustworthy, reliable, no nonsense rifle ever made.

Jim
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Arminius wrote:
J Miller wrote:Trapper length lever guns are quite handy and their usefullness was briefly discussed in bluesman423's thread; 30-30 velocity loss in 16" barrel:

yes2> What brand and caliber is it?

Win 94 .30-303> Is it factory or custom?

factory, but customised by the preowner

yes. One dead Pig - shot at 30 m, ran 60 m

darn bad stopping power

Hermann

P.S.: will not sell it, but wish it would be a .44 Mag

I am sad you think the 30 has bad stopping power, maybe a few more pigs will give a different opinion.

N. :)
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

jimincolo wrote:My Trapper is Model 94 in 30-30, purchased new in 1980 or 81. It was originally fitted with gold post front sight & Williams receiver, & was used as a deer rifle in GA.

In 1983, we moved to CO, & it was my only deer-elk rifle for several years. Recoil was stout with Fed. Prem. 170 Partitions, so I added a Pachmyr pad. I took my first cow elk & my first mulie with this gun. It was my usual carry & truck rifle, & was used on small game, coyotes, etc. Favored load on smaller stuff was the 130 gr. Speer F.P.

It still goes to elk camp every year, where it doubles as a camp rifle & as part of our game retrieval equipment.

IMO, there is no more handy, trustworthy, reliable, no nonsense rifle ever made.

Jim
WOW! Really, Win 94 Trappers have recoil? :wink: Hmmm, I never noticed that. Mine still wears it's factory stock. I guess I'm used to the gentle nudge from the butt plate.
What really fascinates me is the humongous fire balls you can get with them. :o :shock:

I wanna shoot something with mine besides targets and rocks. Maybe someday.

Joe
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

(2) Winchester 94 AE's in .45 colt

(1) 1969 vintage Marlin 1894 in .44 Mag. Originally a 20" carbine but had my gunsmith cut the barrel down to 16" (among a few other things) when he was alleviating the "Marlin Jam" tendencies.

Haven't hunted with either ---- just a lot of plinking so far.

tons of fun -- one of the .45's is usually close at hand as a home defense carbine. 9 rounds and handy as heck, but my hunting area at times has 150 yard shot opportunities and i am much more comfortable with my Guide Gun at those distances (not that a .44 or a hot rod .45 wouldn't have enough juice at 150, but i dont trust myself to have the experience to make that kind of holdover calculation in my head at a moments notice to take a clean shot
----- Doug
Alan Wood
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Alan Wood »

1 94 ae winchester very late prod tang saftey in 44 magnum. Just a plinker. Wish I had gotten it in 357 in stead of 44 in retrospect.
Idahoser

Post by Idahoser »

Searching for info on that gun is how I got to Leverguns. I think it was probably the GunBlast article that finally decided what I wanted.

Winchester 94AE Ranger Compact in .357 Magnum with tang safety. It's basically a trapper with a youth stock.

At least I did have it, until my wife informed me that it was hers.

(but that's okay-- now I have a B-92 in .44! not a shorty but I'm not too jealous.)
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Hey Joe,

Yes to the Trapper: have one in 44 Mag.

NO to hunting as of yet. I'm gonna have to buy a larger front sight blade, I believe, as mine still shoots way high at 50 yards with the rear AO cranked all the way down. Still working out the sight issues, and finding a load that it likes. Love how the light loads feel going off,as compared to my 356 Win. Bought it mostly so my wife and sons could shoot some light loads with me.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I've had several. The only one I have right now is a Marlin 94P/ .44 Mag.
Love that thing.
I haven't shot anything larger than a woodchuck but I would if the oppertunity presents itself.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Alan Wood wrote:1 94 ae winchester very late prod tang saftey in 44 magnum. Just a plinker. Wish I had gotten it in 357 in stead of 44 in retrospect.
Alan,
Many owners of the 94AE .357s have found them problematic. You might be better off with the .44.
One of these days I want to get ahold of a 94AE in .357 to mess with. That should be fun.
Idahoser wrote:Searching for info on that gun is how I got to Leverguns. I think it was probably the GunBlast article that finally decided what I wanted.

Winchester 94AE Ranger Compact in .357 Magnum with tang safety. It's basically a trapper with a youth stock.

At least I did have it, until my wife informed me that it was hers.

(but that's okay-- now I have a B-92 in .44! not a shorty but I'm not too jealous.)
Idahoser,
That is basically what I'm kinda wanting. It would fit my wife too, her being only 5'5" vertically.

Yep, I'm familiar with that concept.
C. Cash wrote:Hey Joe,

Yes to the Trapper: have one in 44 Mag.

NO to hunting as of yet. I'm gonna have to buy a larger front sight blade, I believe, as mine still shoots way high at 50 yards with the rear AO cranked all the way down. Still working out the sight issues, and finding a load that it likes. Love how the light loads feel going off,as compared to my 356 Win. Bought it mostly so my wife and sons could shoot some light loads with me.
You might try Skinner Sights. He's making Sourdough front sights now and will make them to what ever height you need and with correct base width as well.
I'm planning on buying one for my 1980 Trapper.

Joe
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Thank you Joe....that is good info to have. I will take a look at what he's got there, as I like the Sourdough.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

Yep, got two of them. One is a USRA Winchester 30-30 with no safety, no rebounding trigger, no scope friendly angle-eject, no nothing that makes it any different than the ones Winchester had been producing around the beginning of the last century. The other is a Marlin in 44 Magnum, with a safety, checkered walnut stock, and the look of stout to accent it. I've not killed anything with either yet - but will - soon - I hope.

I like "trapper" type lever actions and have owned more than the owns I own now. They all handled well and shot straight. They are heap good!
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

I have a Marlin Marauder but I never really use it. It shoots well though.
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

Joe, I also have a Marlin 444P Outfitter, at 18.5" it's not quite a trapper but handier than a 20" Carbine or rifle.

I have taken two whitetails (both does) and one feral hog with it, 300gr XTPs.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I have a Win Model 94 and a win Model 94AE in Trapper configs. Both are in .30-30.

The 94AE is 'pretty' and mostly holds up the wall in one of my gun cabinets.

I've hunted deer and hogs with the 94 with good success, not missed or lost one yet.

:)
Last edited by FWiedner on Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
jazman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jazman »

Only one, my Rossi .357 NKJ custom in bead blasted stainless. One of my favorite possessions period.
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly"
Hanzerik
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Hanzerik »

J Miller wrote: So here are the questions:

Yes
2> What brand and caliber is it?
.44 Magnum LSI Puma
3> Is it factory or custom?
For the most part factory. I have changed out the original sights for Marble Arms products, and added sling swivels.
Not yet
veeman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by veeman »

2. One Wrangler in 32 Spl. big loop lever, pre-safety, engraving on the reciever. The Trapper is in .45 Colt, also pre-savety, angle eject. Hard to miss a target with it, love it.
foxtrapper
Levergunner 2.0

Post by foxtrapper »

Marlin 1894P 16 1/4" ported in 44 mag. So far one wild boar :D Best of all it was blooded by my daughter! She offically claimed her inheritance early :D
willygene
Levergunner 2.0

Post by willygene »

between my father an i we have five rossi trapper length rifles in 357 love them don't care for the 94s in the pistol caliber rounds i do want one in 44mag and a 1873 in 44-40. and yes i hunt with them.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

A co-worker at the shop shot a deer this past season. Hit it low and it was eviscerated. STILL ran 75 yards. Animals don't know that what being shot is or that you are supposed to stop and die. They go until they can't. Nothing is 100% drop 'em where they stand.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
trapper45
Levergunner 1.0

Post by trapper45 »

Yes.

Win 94 Trapper .45 Long Colt; first-issue 1985; all factory original.
Win 94 Trapper .357/.38 Spl; angle-eject; all factory original (including crater-based safety); no feeding problems whatsoever.
Win 9422 & 9422M; both Trappers from CDNN; case hardened receivers; checkered wrists and forends.

No critter chasing, but no paper dot or Shoot-N-See has ever left the range alive.
KSFlatheadhunter
Levergunner 1.0

Post by KSFlatheadhunter »

Yes!

I currently the following 16" lever guns:

1) Rossi .357 Mag SS 16"
2) Rossi .44 Mag 16"
3) Rossi - EMF 45 LC SS 16"
4) Browning B92 44 Mag 16"
5) Win 9422 16" trapper .22 lr with Color Case Hardened receiver and beautiful walnut.

I have also owned following 16" or less lever guns:

1) Marlin 30-30 16". The deer dropped just as dead with this gun as any other.
2) Win 1892 (1906) 14" factory trapper in .44-40. Gumwood and not much bluing. Lovely gun but I had other priorities.

3) My Dad has a NICE 1892 14" (1924) factory trapper in .44-40. Walnut wood and has most of it's bluing. Very nice gun. I borrow it occasionally to give it a little TLC.

I LOVE 16" lever guns.

Darin
I can all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Phillipians 4:13

Life is hard, it is harder if your stupid. John Wayne
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

We have two, Puzzle One (38-55) and Two (30-30).

Both are Winchester 94s.

"Custom" is putting it mildly, as both were assembled from parts gathered from nearly everywhere (when ebay was a little more friendly).

We've taken deer, hogs rabbits...
Boreman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Boreman »

I have a M-94 AE in 357 Mag.Used for plinking. I have not taken any game with it.I cannot find the DOM. SN-6386xxx. Any ideas on DOM would be appreciated. Thanks !!!!!
Model-71's forever !!!!
NRA Patriot Life Member
Endowment level
FOPA #5
GOA,Inc
WVCDL,INC
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I've got a couple Rossi clone-92's that qualify; plus the Marlin .357 1894 is a "trapper length" gun, isn't it? It used to be my "never-miss" feral cat gun (replaced by a Ruger No. 1 in 7mm Rem Mag - which field-dresses them too :roll: ).

.44 Magnum my daughter used with Marble's Bullseye rear & Fiberoptic front, with 240gr JSP's over 19+ gr. 2400 powder, to take her first deer.

.45 Colt I have decided to make my "everything between .22 LR & .338 Lapua" go-to gun; factory 'cowboy' loads seem to be plenty potent for most needs, and are quiet enough not to kill off your hearing if used without hearing protectors:

Makes a nice "flashlight" too...

Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

I own none.

My foray into 16" barrels on rifles lasted one gun. Two trips to the range were enough to cure me of such desires.

For me now, any barrel under 26" is deemed stumpy. I'd only consider shorter barrels with a short, straight walled cartridge, eg .45 Colt. I haven't tried such yet, though.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I'm SHOCKED! Really and truly shocked at the paucity of photographic evidence of the plethora of "Trapper"s claimed in just this one thread!!!! Guess it falls to me to make up for it!

I can only claim one. A 1967 Canadian Centennial modified into a 16" Trapper in .30-30! The addition of some custom wood and a subtly curved steel buttplate and silvered appointments make this a pleasing (to my eye and no one else's view counts), joy to behold and to shoot. Even tho' it's lighter by a several ounces than a 20 barrel, the wide curve of the buttplate helps absorb any felt recoil.

Accuracy is superb, at least it's accurate by my measure! Standing off hand, it'll ding the 16" square steel targets at 200 yards as long as that nice wide square front post is held on the target! Even hits at 300 yards are not scarce! Begins to "iffy" at 500, even off the bench!

Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Griff,

I still covet that rear sight. :twisted:

Joe
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I have a 1927 carbine. I put a spare barrel on it cut to 16 1/2". It is handy to carry or as a truck gun, but I really don't like shooting it much. I find the muzzle blast rather unpleasant. If I grab a 94, it's a standard 20 carbine the vast majority of the time. I think the 20" guns are about perfect for balance, shootabilty and looks.

The short loud one,

The pleasant friendly one,

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

J Miller wrote:Griff,
I still covet that rear sight. :twisted:
Joe
And you can keep on coveting it! It's neither for sale nor trade! :P :P :twisted: :D

Malamute,

I still like the looks of that handy ol'time Trapper! :mrgreen: Even with the receiver sight. :P And yep, they are LOUD! But, since I'm generally wearing ear plugs, it's not annoying. 8)
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

I have a 94 AE in .45colt
It is factory
I have hunted pigs and coyotes with it.
Every thing I have dropped the hammer on has departed this world.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
243dave
Levergunner 1.0

Post by 243dave »

Tang safety 94 trapper AE in 45 colt. With 300gr xtp mags on top of lots of h-110 will shoot length-wise thru deer. My favorite woods gun. Dave