On T-Uberti 66 carbine

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

On T-Uberti 66 carbine

Post by pwl44m »

Picked this up last nite. 38 spl. wasn't what I was looking for but what the heck. Traded 15 silver Dollars ,1 silver half dollar ,1 silver dime + 2 Franklins. He wanted $514 which is what He paid for it about 20 yrs ago.He also had an Uberti SA in 45c with the ACP cyl also 4 1/2" that He wouldn't sell.
I am happy with this rifle as I have a bunch of 38spl ammo.
Just wanted to share.
Headed to town pretty soon to look at an Uberti ( caint remember what model ) in 38-55. about 6 months old for $799
Btw what R U Guys doing on the Brass on these rifles ? R U keeping them shiny or letting them Patina out. Just curious, as U can see this rifle can go either way.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Re: On T-Uberti 66 carbine

Post by Rube Burrows »

Lovely rifle.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

nice
I think it may be the 1871 ROLLING BLOCK HUNTER CARBINE
have fun with them!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

RIHMFIRE wrote:nice
have fun with them!
Nope, it's Uberti's Model 66.

As far as the brass is concerned, I'd let it age.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

COSteve wrote:
RIHMFIRE wrote:nice
have fun with them!
Nope, it's Uberti's Model 66.

As far as the brass is concerned, I'd let it age.

i was talking about the 38-55 he going to look at
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
gunner69
Levergunner 1.0

Post by gunner69 »

I own two 38-55s, you will love it as it is deadly on deer and such. I buy the 260gr cast with gascheck that Midway has on sale occasionaly. :mrgreen:
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

RIHMFIRE wrote:i was talking about the 38-55 he going to look at
The price stated is correct for that. I haven't seen any around here. I've had a .30-30 on order for 8 months now. I wonder if our Italian friends are having trouble getting that to pass proof. I won't be surprised if I have to load it down to original, 1890s factory ballistics (which will be fine by me).
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I have one, and it is a fun gun. Have been tempted to trade it for one in .45 Colt, but since this one belonged to my Dad, I just can't bear to let her go. I have in times past shined her up really bright, but for the last few years I've been letting her age naturally. :D
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Well I looked at entirely too many Guns yesterday. I looked at 44-40, Uberti mod 1860 Henry , Marlin 1894- 32-20 , Win mod 1894 38-55. all in different cities.Didn't write anything down and totally forgot what was what and where. Went back to buy the 32-20 thinking it was a Win. Bummed when I saw that it wasn't.Took some Silver to try and do some swapping. I didn't want the Marlin so tried to make a deal on the win 73 in 44WCF. We couldn't come to terms so I will just let it sit for a while.
I did end up going back and buying the Henry that is 6 months old and fired 8 times. I will post pics when I have served My time and I get it Home. It is the one that was $799.98. It is a very pretty Gun in 44-40.
Well I will have two to let age.
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hawkeye2 »

I had been wanting a 66 for 35 years or more and I just bought one off my neighbor a couple of weeks ago. .38 special carbine with less than 300 rounds through it and a Lyman tang sight for $450, couldn't talk him down. Its so darned slick (out of the box) I would worry about the action opening under the weight of the lever if it weren't for that lock, well not really but it sure feels that way. The only thing that would make it better would be for it to be a .45 but I guess I can live with it. .38 special is real cheap to shoot as a bonus. He bought a 73 rifle and likes that better so the 66 or his Marlin had to go.
GregT
Levergunner 2.0

Post by GregT »

Don't want to get you worried, but put a PRIMED CASING in the chamber, then close the bolt. Open the bolt a little bit with the primed casing in tow and pull the trigger. See if it fires the primer with an unlocked bolt. I had one of these in .44/40 but sold it when I found out that it would fire a .44 Magnum cartridge. (Don't ask... Nothing hurt but hell of a kick!). There has been some communication on other lists that these recent replicas don't have the room for error built into them that the originals had. Again, only "talk" but if it will fire a primer on an open, unlocked bolt, that ain't good. Remember, these are toggle link locking actions. Never a real strong set-up even when locked tight. The '73 actions and '76 actions may have the same potential.
GregT
Hayward, Wi
"Underneath our starry flag, civilize 'em with a Krag"

War in the Phillipines, 1900.
GregT
Levergunner 2.0

Post by GregT »

One more thing: That is a fine looking rifle you have! Something about brass in a rifle!
GregT
"Underneath our starry flag, civilize 'em with a Krag"

War in the Phillipines, 1900.
Winnetou
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Winnetou »

Like the originals, the Uberti Henry and 1866 rifles lack a lever-actuated trigger block. This means that it is possible to fire them with the lever not quite fully up. It is not necessarily as dangerous as it may seem, for when the lever is nearly up, despite the fact that the toggles are unlocked, mechanical advantage favours the hand pulling up the lever.

Another point to consider is that these rifles are push-feed. The cartridges are pushed into the chamber ahead of the bolt, and only when the bolt fully closes does the extractor snap over the cartridge rim. Only with the cartridge so secured, could the rifle be fired with the bolt slightly open. This means that were an unlocked discharge to occur, it would happen after the lever had been brought fully up, and then dropped a bit for some reason.

Winchester introduced a trigger block on the Model 1873, and the Uberti version of this rifle, as well as the 1876, have the block.

Things may change, due to liability phobia. Uberti recently introduced a replica of the 1883 Colt Burgess lever-action rifle. The prototype that was displayed at SHOT Show in 2009 had no trigger block, like the original guns. But by the time the rifle arrived on the market, a trigger block like that of the Winchester 1873 had been added. Perhaps future production of the Henry and 1866 will be so modified. I hope not!
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

Winnetou wrote:Perhaps future production of the Henry and 1866 will be so modified. I hope not!
I'll second that.

If I have an Uberti Burgess ground off into the lighter weight receiver (much more research to do there), I'll have that interlock removed as well.