Old Gun Photos - Poor Gun Safety.....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Old Gun Photos - Poor Gun Safety.....

Post by deerwhacker444 »

Found this neat site with old photos of guns in America. Might be some of your relatives. The lack of gun safety in some of them is scary...!

Enjoy...!

Guns in America
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Old Gun Photos - Poor Gun Safety.....

Post by RIHMFIRE »

oh boy....scary is not the word....
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
kragluver
Levergunner 2.0

Post by kragluver »

Interesting safety concepts :o

There were a number of interesting old guns in that collection though. Saw quite a few Krags, '03s and '17s.
kragluver
Levergunner 2.0

Post by kragluver »

Interesting safety concepts :o

There were a number of interesting old guns in that collection though. Saw quite a few Krags, '03s and '17s.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

If all we can do is whine about gun safety when we look at these old photos we've lost our sense of humor and perspective.
Out of all these pics only one caused me concern, the one with the little girl using the pistol as a pacifier.
The rest were just normal gun handling and horsing around in years past. They weren't as stifled and paranoid back then as we are now.

JMHO

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I agree, Joe. Perspective, and the difference in which guns are treated nowadays, tells a different story than what our eyes tell us from the initial glance at those great old photos. Many of the "guns" are also fakes, cap pistols and BB guns. One of the last photos, the one with the buck on the vehicle, has what looks like a long barreled 1886 next to that little kid. :)
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Chas.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Chas. »

As usual, I disagree. Pointing a gun at someone has never, EVER been anything but verboten in my lifetime, and I'll soon be 65. As a kid, it would very likely get me a trip to the woodshed. And that static was the same with my Father, both Grandfathers, and all 5 of my uncles, as far back as I can remember.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Mike D. wrote:I agree, Joe. Perspective, and the difference in which guns are treated nowadays, tells a different story than what our eyes tell us from the initial glance at those great old photos. Many of the "guns" are also fakes, cap pistols and BB guns. One of the last photos, the one with the buck on the vehicle, has what looks like a long barreled 1886 next to that little kid. :)

Boy that buck is a little stiff aint it.
new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by new pig hunter »

j miller,

the girl with the pacifier .... did you see the body on the ground behind her ?? I thinking that is a pant's pocket I'm seeing ....

Cheers,

Carl
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

new pig hunter wrote:j miller,

the girl with the pacifier .... did you see the body on the ground behind her ?? I thinking that is a pant's pocket I'm seeing ....

Cheers,

Carl
Carl,
From what I saw, the body was someone actually working on the car. The front end was a bit high to me.

Yeah, went back and looked. Car is up in the air, tools on the ground. Daddies working on his ride, lil baby doll is sucking on his shooter, and dim wit momma is taking a pic of it all. You know in this up tight day and age that pic would get the kid snatched by Child Welfare and both parents in the slammer.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Probably THIS one is just a 'perspective' thing and really not actually as dangerous as it looks,

but some of the OTHERS

make me CRINGE...!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

All of the photos are interesting but I wonder what Hobie can tell me about that sleek rowboat.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

People used to be free to be stupid.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Maybe that generation of folk had different ideas on the subject. They seem to have lived through it all to spawn the current wilting and politically correct sheep we refer to as 'gun-owners' today.

IMO, unless the gun is pointed at you or yours it's probably not your place to judge. If that's your Mama in the photo, now you know how Papa really felt.

One of the major flaws with this nation and the world in general is that people spend far too much time with their noses stuck in other peoples business.

:idea:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

I really like the 3rd picture (pointing the rifle at his Dad's head? in the canoe), and 12th picture (at the kitchen table with the bottle of bubbly)
TOO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Otherwise, the GI's machine gun collection imounted on the board is really cool 8)
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

This was safe for all but the jack rabbits in 1933 -

I was deadly on rabbits and prairie dogs but, so far, have never had an ND -
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
gyrhed
Levergunner

Post by gyrhed »

for some reason back then not too many people pulled the trigger while they were pointing a gun in "fun". I guess we have to be safer just to make up for the idiots that our extra safety has protected this far and let live longer than they otherwise would have. :).
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I guess I can understand in this day why people get worked up, but I just enjoy seeing the old pictures without all the diagnosis. Seems I'd rather just enjoy them, than criticize them.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/