Paying it back

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Paying it back

Post by jnyork »

I am the lucky winner of the Sharps rifle from rjohns94, for which I am very grateful indeed, there is no chance I would ever have had the money to get something like that.

I now wish to make a payback to the board.

I live in the very nicest part of Wyoming, at the southern tip of the Wind River mountains. I am an avid pronghorn hunter, having been successful with the muzzleloader for over 20 consecutive years. I know most of the Red Desert area like my own backyard, and am a darn good guide for friends wanting to hunt.

I will be your personal guide on a Wyoming pronghorn hunt in areas 66,64,65, 91,92 or 107. All you have to do is get drawn for a license and get here. You will have your own personal camping spot on private land in a beautiful stand of aspens. You will sight in on my own personal range. You will be my guest in every sense of the word, and be guided to a successful conclusion. If you miss the first one, we will find you another!!

I will handle this just like Mike did with the rifle. If you want in, post "I want in" here on this thread. Please dont post unless you are dead serious about your intentions to follow through. At noon on New Year's Eve, I will draw rjohns94's name and 5 others.

Wyoming Game and Fish website has details on how to apply, etc. If you have questions, feel free to post here on this thread, or PM me.

Good luck. :D
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Re: Paying it back

Post by Old Ironsights »

Be nice to shoot an antelope near Lander. I'll put in for the draw...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Fantastic & Mucho Gracias Sir!! My name wont be in same as it wasn't for the sharps.. more room for the other good folks :)
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
PaperPatch
Levergunner 3.0

Post by PaperPatch »

I want in.....Antelope hunting is my favorite!
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

wow, that is amazing. I have always wanted to hunt pronghorn. this is most generous. I am humbled.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Very generous indeed. I would love to participate, but since I get to hunt pronghorn in MT on occasion I will refrain from putting my name in the hat. Would love to come watch, though. Or stop by and hunt coyotes with you sometime.

Congrats on your new rifle and thanks to Mike for making it possible.

See you at the Quigley with the Sharps next year?
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Please count me in! I've never been on a pronghorn hunt, but have wanted to for many years. Thanks for the chance!
NRA Life Member
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

rjohns94 wrote:wow, that is amazing. I have always wanted to hunt pronghorn. this is most generous. I am humbled.
Isn't it wonderful how one good deed leads to another?

Merry Christmas to you and your family Mike!
NRA Life Member
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

Do I have to use my danged Flintlock like you do...?

:lol:

I appreciate the offer, but will leave it open for others as well. I am currently looking for work and could make no plans for next fall, but assure you if I had a job, I'd put my name in the hat in a split-second..!

I got drawn for elk in OK this year and had a successful hunt. The state of OK also has a limited # of antelope tags for the panhandle, and I've been putting in for it for 19 years as well. Sooner or later I'll get drawn for one of those tags and then I'll get my antelope.

Good people on this board..! I'm glad I'm allowed to be a part..!

Merry Christmas all..!
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Are you going to use that double rifle?
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

if the question was to me, I plan on using either flintlock or a lever rifle. (though, depending on the setup, I might use the double sxs 12 bore rifle using the brenneke 1 3/8 oz slugs. the double is dead on at 75 yards)
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

No,
To TedH
I would like to see that double rifle smoke an Antelope.
Same as I would like to do an Antelope, with that 26" .30-.30 :wink:
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

If I am fortunate enough to be able to go, I would likely take a levergun. Probably the Marlin 30TK 30-30 Ackley Improved, or the 336ER 356 Win.

The double is going to Texas next month for the Leverguns Hog Hunt. Hopefully it will knock down a big ol' boar.
NRA Life Member
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I wish you luck & steady aim.
samb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by samb »

I want in.
dkmlever
Levergunner 3.0

Post by dkmlever »

Please enter my name in your antelope hunt drawing, thanks!
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Awesome - put me in for this one......Thanks
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

rjohns94 wrote:if the question was to me, I plan on using either flintlock or a lever rifle. (though, depending on the setup, I might use the double sxs 12 bore rifle using the brenneke 1 3/8 oz slugs. the double is dead on at 75 yards)
Mike,
Your more than welcome to borrow my Savage 99 in .308 win.
for this hunt if you like. :)
Last edited by cshold on Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Hunted 100 back in 96 and 97 - you will enjoy Wyoming I believe.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

It is clear to me that Mike should shoot his pronghorn with JNs new C Sharps 1875 45-70.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Old Savage wrote:It is clear to me that Mike should shoot his pronghorn with JNs new C Sharps 1875 45-70.
If he wants to, he can darn sure do it!! :D
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

jnyork,
That is a very generous offer. May you enjoy your visitors. And best of luck to all the winners; especially Mike. I'd say put me in... but have many other pans in the fire this year. Thank you for the offer.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Batman1939
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Batman1939 »

An amazing bunch of folks inhabit this board. Jerry, I'll decline your kind offer as I do occasionally get the opportunity to hunt pronghorn in Montana. As much as I enjoy Montana, Wyoming is the place to hunt for pronghorn. This is a wonderful offer.

Jerry: Do you happen to know Jack States whose family settled in the Lander area in the late 1800's as I recall? Jack presently lives a mile or so downstream of the "rise" on the PopoAgie River. He is fairly well-known in the area for teaching courses in beekeeping. Apparently his family have been keeping bees for a few generations.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Batman1939 wrote:An amazing bunch of folks inhabit this board. Jerry, I'll decline your kind offer as I do occasionally get the opportunity to hunt pronghorn in Montana. As much as I enjoy Montana, Wyoming is the place to hunt for pronghorn. This is a wonderful offer.

Jerry: Do you happen to know Jack States whose family settled in the Lander area in the late 1800's as I recall? Jack presently lives a mile or so downstream of the "rise" on the PopoAgie River. He is fairly well-known in the area for teaching courses in beekeeping. Apparently his family have been keeping bees for a few generations.
I dont know him personally, the ranch has been there since dirt.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Congrats on winning the Sharps! Nice follow-up offer. This place is the best! :D
Batman1939
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Batman1939 »

Jerry: Thanks for the response. Jack, who is also an expert on mushrooms, and I taught at the university here in Flagstaff for a number of years. He retired to the old family homestead about 10 years ago. Nice guy.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

That would be a great picture - the two of you with your rifle and his antelope. :)

jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Old Savage wrote:That would be a great picture - the two of you with your rifle and his antelope. :)
If it's in the cards, we will make it so.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Old Savage wrote:That would be a great picture - the two of you with your rifle and his antelope. :)

Definitely the icing on the cake 8)
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I am going to look forward to 2011 and the hunting. I will see some levergunners in South Africa in May for the levergun safari, and now in wyoming for antelope. I'm excited. I have quite a few firearms I could use on this hunt. The 303 BSA commercial in a bolt gun, the WWG which is scoped, the model 55 in 30-30, the 1886 in 45-70, the .54 custom flintlock. I have a couple others. Sure I will find one or two to take. Would be awesome to have Jerry take a speed goat with the sharps if he was so inclined. He likes hunting BP for them and I love BP so i'm leaning towards that way. We will see.
Mike Johnson,

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Which ever way you go it will be an interesting hunt for all to follow and a group that I would like to be with but I am not putting my name in for the drawing.

Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

OS is right,
we have speed goats down on the mesa from me.
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

What a great jester and wonderful opportunity. I want in please and thank you for the chance.
Ricky

DWWC
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Jnyork, absolutely fantastic offer. Like Griff, I have too many pans in the fire to commit, but I'm impressed with the opportunity you've provided. Just another reason why I love this place.
Old Law Dawg
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

What a great and generous offer. I would love to have my name in the hat! Thank you.

Now, off to the site to see if I can get drawn for a license.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail