OT: Film camera questions

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

OT: Film camera questions

Post by J Miller »

You do remember what a film camera is don't you?

Ok, I found out that my Canon AE-1 had a partial roll of film in it. So I went to take the rest of them so I could get it developed and see what was on the roll.

Usually this camera will stop winding at the end of the roll, maybe two pics after the number on the container. Say like 26 for a 24 exp roll.
This time it just kept going . I thought maybe I had a 36 exp roll in it.
At about 38 I said the heck with it, pushed the release button and rewound the roll. It was marked 24 exp.

I'm wondering if maybe there was a lot of extra film on that one, or if something messed up on my camera.
Any of you anachronisms got any ideas?

I'll fire a call to the camera fix it guy next week, but just wondering for now.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT: Film camera questions

Post by Mescalero »

I have before stripped the film with overzealous winding.
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

It might have never been started right and no film was not being pulled from the spool. The only way to tell is develop the film. If blank it was never started right.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

iceman wrote:It might have never been started right and no film was not being pulled from the spool. The only way to tell is develop the film. If blank it was never started right.
I did that a couple years ago when The Sentimental Journey was in town. I also had my power winder on the camera and would have had some glorious photos. That really p.o.'d me.
I'm "fairly sure" that wasn't the case this time, but I won't swear to it.
Mescalero wrote:I have before stripped the film with overzealous winding.
I haven't done that ...... yet.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

:lol:
rodeo kid
Levergunner 3.0

Post by rodeo kid »

Film camera? What's a film camera? Is that an old-timey thing? :D :lol: :P
Member : NRA
Oklahoma Rifle Assoc.
NPPAS

TRUISM: if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. So, my advice is: Buy more guns!
rodeo kid
Levergunner 3.0

Post by rodeo kid »

Film camera? What's a film camera? Is that an old-timey thing? :D :lol: :P
Member : NRA
Oklahoma Rifle Assoc.
NPPAS

TRUISM: if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. So, my advice is: Buy more guns!
Chas.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Chas. »

Probably a little late now, but on the bottom of the AE-1 is the little button you push to release the mechanism so that you can re-wind the film. If you'll notice that little button has a tiny paint spot on it. It's an indicator to see if it's rotating. If you wind the film and the little button rotates, it is advancing the film. BTW, this rotational action is not transferred through the power winder so you have to remove it to see the button rotate.
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

rodeo kid wrote:Film camera? What's a film camera? Is that an old-timey thing? :D :lol: :P
Film...? I think that's what you put in one of these....

"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
Alan Wood
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Alan Wood »

deerwhacker444 wrote:
rodeo kid wrote:Film camera? What's a film camera? Is that an old-timey thing? :D :lol: :P
Film...? I think that's what you put in one of these....

Is that your camera. Have to admit that I have a couple of similair camers myself! And yes I have shot photos with one of them and a 3rd built by a short lived outfit after the second world war that did something similair in metal.
Alan Wood
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I have one of those, too, mine is an 8x10. It's my camera of choice. Quite a project to take one shot but worth it.

Joe, long ago I got in the habit of checking the left side spool as I advanced the film to make sure it turned. If it did, the roll was going through. It does sound like yours didn't, but you'll never know until you process it.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Alan Wood
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Alan Wood »

I have both a 4x5 and an 8x10. On top of that there is an old kodak 2d that has only a 5x7 bak. Kind of the tail wagin the dog on that one. Bought off of ebay with the seller only mentioning the camera and not the lense in the description. Forget which of my lenses this is be bought it for less than the lense alone was worth at the time.
Alan Wood
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

El Chivo wrote:It does sound like yours didn't, but you'll never know until you process it.
When I paid attention (usually for the same reason - fear the roll hadn't pulled out of the spool properly), I could usually feel the difference in friction when I used the crank to rewind it, and the little 'let-off' as the film wound fully into the spool and pulled free by shearing the last couple little side-holes that the advancing-spool grabs. (You can tell I don't know the real terms...)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

I had film in one of those disposaeble cameras developed, that was 3-4 years past it's expiration date. They all turned out great. Was fun trying to rembember the women that were on it :lol:
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

AJMD429 wrote:
El Chivo wrote:It does sound like yours didn't, but you'll never know until you process it.
When I paid attention (usually for the same reason - fear the roll hadn't pulled out of the spool properly), I could usually feel the difference in friction when I used the crank to rewind it, and the little 'let-off' as the film wound fully into the spool and pulled free by shearing the last couple little side-holes that the advancing-spool grabs. (You can tell I don't know the real terms...)
AJ,

I know exactly what you are referring too. This last roll felt OK up to about 27 exp or so, then it got crotchety. But it wouldn't come to a stop like the other rolls have. So I kept going. When I rewound it I watched both rollers and they were rolling. So I'm pretty sure the film was on both.
I'm thinking two things:
A: The film was 2nd line stuff. It was marked Fuji/Wal-Mart. Fuji is normally excellent film, but with Wal-Marts name on it I'm not so sure.
B: They had too much film in the can.

I'm going to take it to the local Walgreens in a little while and have it developed. We'll see what's happened then.

Joe