Floods in Queensland Australia

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Jacko
Levergunner 2.0

Floods in Queensland Australia

Post by Jacko »

G/Day folks, I thought I'd post this link to an image that NASA has released earlier this week. Startling ! You can not imagine the scale of this flood - Biggest in recorded history. There is far more land under water in Queensland than the area of Texas in the USA. This photo is a week old, flood waters have risen and will continue to rise for a minimum of a week yet in many area's and the flood peaks will not subside for a minimum of a further week.

http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Natura ... p?id=48319

Here's a Wikipedia link with broader information.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010%E2%80 ... and_floods

I hunt in some of the area's that are under water right now and am gobsmacked. Please share a prayer and a thought with me for the People that are affected. There has been recent floods in New South Wales, parts of Western Australia are in the grip of severe drought and other parts of Australia are under threat of Bushfires.

I'm reminded of a Poem I learned in School

http://oldpoetry.com/opoem/21197-Doroth ... My-Country

regards Jacko
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Re: Floods in Queensland Australia

Post by Old Ironsights »

Crikey. :o
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Newtmaker
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Newtmaker »

I spent several months in Townsville, Northern Queensland, back in the late 60's when I was in the Navy. It was a lovely area but pretty arid as I remember. You could drive north a hundred miles and be in the middle of rainforest. But the further west you drove it became even more dry.
From what I have been able to find out, Townsville is not in the danger zone.
Our prayers are certainly with all the folks affected there. The pics on the national news here in the states sure show a lot of water!

Walt
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Been watching the floods on the news, unbelievable!

Prayers sent for all those affected.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

As you mentioned it has been the complete opposite where I am. I recorded just 8 inches of rain for all of 2010 and then had 2 inches in 50 minutes on 3 January. Tanks are looking pretty healthy now.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Saw the news of the floods on TV. Prayers for all of those affected.
Old Law Dawg
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Prayers up!
waz
Levergunner

Post by waz »

Thanks guys.

A couple of months ago I fitted a snorkle to the Disco. The wife said, "What are you doing that for! We don't need that!"

...well look who's laughing now...

Now, when ever we go through water she says, "Look at that snorkle paying itself off."

Waz
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Incredible. It's gotten very little press in the U.S. and that's a crime. Y'all are definitely in our thoughts.

Best,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Pop Watts
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pop Watts »

My youngest Brother still works in the Coal Mines in the Bowen Basin. His nearest town is Emerald. The underground mines are all still running but the open cuts have been flooded for weeks. The open cut mine companies are buying coal from the underground mines to meet contracts. Production has increased at the underground mines to meet the new "local" markets needs. When he was in Emerald earlier this week there were 15 helicopters at the local airport, all leased by mining companies to fly their workers in and out of mine sites bacause most road access is cut by the flooding.

All my family are up around Townsville, Bowen and Emerald. All safe so far.

Pop.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Prayers up for our Aussie brothers/sisters!
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Nicknack
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Nicknack »

The ducks have evacuated and the fish are nervous.
All jokes aside it's still raining in Brisbane,and my wife heard on the radio that a beast/steer was found 12 kilometers or about 9 miles out to sea still alive but the poor bugger died from stress.
Our thoughts are with our fellow Queenslanders doing it tough.will be sending our spare towels,sheets,blankets and whatever else they need.
After the worst drought in 150 years we get the worst flood on record.but that is Australia, droughts and floods

regards Dallas
It's dead easy to die; it's the keeping on living that's hard - Douglas Mawson - Scientist and polar survivor
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

I've seen reports on the nightly news here - absolutely incredible. My thoughts are with everyone affected. The reports of the snakes flushed out are daunting. I assume open season on those nasties now?
Jacko
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jacko »

Thanks for the thoughts fella's. Pop Watts, thats fascinating the underground mines are still going and they efforts the mining companies have gone to to keep production up. I hear reports here and there that the mining companies are looking after their staff and townsfolk with equipment, housing etc as well as maintaining operations. I'll give them a big wrap for not looking after simply their own interests

In the last day or 2 flood waters have receeded in some places. Residents of one of the towns that was evacuated have been ferried across the river so they can inspect their property. There is a very real danger of venemous Snakes and other creepy crawlies having sought refuge in their houses. I did hear one report of boat crews having to be extremely carefull near tree's as the Eastern Brown Snakes [ No 2 most venomous in world ] where dropping into the boats - would certainly wake you up :D

Poor old St George is copping it's 2nd dunking since a record flood peak of 13.4 metre's flooded the town in March 2010, a matter of weeks after many residents moved back into their renovated homes, a flood peak of 14 metres is expected shortly and there is nothing they can do to save their new homes.

Australia has about the same land area of the USA not including Alaska so you gain an appreciation of how far the water must flow and how much there is I've posted 2 more links of the floods path

Most of this water will flow through the Murray Darling River System http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murray-Darling_basin .
causing floods,soaking into earth and the Artesian Basin the whole way http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Artesian_Basin

Some of this water will also flow into the Lake Eyre basin http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Lake_ ... in_map.png . There's likely not be enough water to commpletely fill it, it will cause floods the entire way to it's destination and much water is soaked into earth and the Artesian Basin.

regards Jacko
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

The venomous snake part (Brown and otherwise) really gives me the willies--especially dropping into the boats! I hope rescue works are all allowed to at least carry a .38 with snakeshot! Hope you guys dry out soon regardless.
Jacko
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jacko »

My corner of Queensland has had massive rainfall in the last 24 hours, more people have died today. A few hours ago I saw fresh footage of a family desperately clinging to the roof of the car as it floated down a raging river, I don't know what has become of them as emergency services could not locate them. Highset Houses have been swept off their stumps, family's are clinging to roof's while 7 metre deep water rages past a few feet away. A flash flood swept down streets in Toowoomba and swept folks away

This link is not up to date but it has some frightening reports http://bigpondnews.com/articles/TopStor ... 62704.html

A town 100 Miles up the road is expecting a flood peak in excess of 21 metres tonight, thats nearly 65 feet

It's beyond prayers now fella's, mother nature's throwing a tantrum. The scale of this is breaking my heart, over 50% of Queensland is under water. My neck of the woods only has minor flooding in comparision.

I've just read that bloody arsonists where responsible for a massive bushfire over in Western Australia - I can not comprehend whats going on.

regards Jacko
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Absolutely unbelievable!
I don't understand why international aid is not asking for more help.

After the tsunami and other catastrophes aid agencies were everywhere asking for money.
My thoughts are with you all down under.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Jacko
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jacko »

I've woken up this morning, turned the radio on and there's is unconfirmed reports of 30 - 70 people missing, 8 confirmed dead, homes, washed away, many eyewitness accounts of an Inland Tsunami smashing everything in it's path. As it has rushed off the Mountain that wall of water has slowed to a spreading flood being feed by Thunderstorms that have raged all night and are still flashing about now. Further North the Mary River did not peak as high as expected, 18.3 metres instead of 21 metres but they are a long way from being out of strife, especially as this rain continues.

As I type this the awefull news just keeps coming to hand

I have heard International pledges of support and resourses are coming. I know the American Ambasator has made commitments, the Singapore military has Helicopters based at Amberley Airbase right in the centre of the latest disaster, they are working with our Military and their pilots are flying food, supplies etc to affected folks all around the State. A Major General has been appointed the head of a flood task forse and is cordinating relief efforts. I heard him yesterday talking about a possible need for his role to continue for years to coordinate rebuilding damage to people , homes and infracstructure

A sad day, wakes me up too the insignificance of my problems

regards Jacko
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Best wishes Jacko, sad times for you guy's. Time for basics Jacko.

Good luck.

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

Like Jacko said, mother nature is throwing a tantrum and when she does that "look out".
I've got family in Brisbane, and friends in Toowoomba, haven't heard anything but hope their doing OK.
As for the arsonists over here, they better look out too, if I remember correctly new legislation was enacted last year that allows courts to sentence them to extremely long prison terms.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
Aussie Chris
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Aussie Chris »

Gday fellas. These floods are bad! Just watched 9 news, 66 missing, 9 dead. Sort of reminding me of our bushfires we had down here not long ago.
Good luck up there guys. Im glad my Uncle in Brissy is all good. I hasnt stopped raining down here in the past 3 days, I'm spewing becasue I just wanna get out on the Harley.

Our thoughts and prayers are with you

Chris
A man can never have too many WINCHESTERS...
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

Just terrible. Our thoughts are with all Queenslanders at this time.
Jacko
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jacko »

G/Day folks, unexpected floods have hit my neck of the woods now. I received a text message while at work from the Authorities to evacuate my home and seek refuge on higher ground. It has turned out to be alarmist but that's not the point - they did good.

On the way home the HWY was closed at 2 points and 3 of the usuall routes I can use to get home where under 2 metres of water. Even though one way in is only 600 metres from home as the Crow fly's too much water to do something stupid and try to walk/swim to the other side - anything could happen. My wife has a disability and was already freaking out at home on her own as she got the same text message.

Only option left was a little known back road that weaves through the hills of the Valley my house is located in. It follows one of the flooded creeks most of it's length, a real torrent today! There was a couple of ankle deep crossings my little Korean car could traverse but about 10 K's from home there was water over the road that was too deep.

I resigned myself to a long wait and an uncomfortable night in the car as it was no use backtracking, even if the water behind me was not still rising I could not get home anyway and faced the same situation. A minute later a policeman pulled up behind me, we chatted and decided to wait and see. Another minute or 2 later a 4 x 4 come along and after a carefull check of the depth we all decided the water was not deep enough to stall our sedans if we tailgatted the 4 x 4 through the water as he would plow it away for us. I was home 10 minutes later.

The floods here are inconvienient, have flooded many property's and I guess I'll be flood bound for a little while if the rain keeps up but they are nothing compared to the tradgedy of yesterday and the damage caused elseware in the State

regards Jacko
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Take care Jacko. Have you a rope in the car? Check how high the air intake to the engine is on your car. baffle it with card to stop other bow waves entering it.

Carry a long strong stick, it will help you in a strong current, a sharp axe or saw will help clear any flotsum blocking your way.

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

I'm praying.

From what I've seen on tv, the amount of water is unimaginable. It dwarfs Katrina.

God bless,
Bogie
Sadly, "Political Correctness" is the most powerful religion in America, and it has ruined our society.
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

I can not remember in my life time a flood this bad...anywhere.

Our prayers are with you.
Jacko
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jacko »

Thankyou for the thoughts and prayers. When will this end?

Here'a a series of frightening displays of Mother Natures power in Toowoomba on monday. This is some of the water that flowed down the mountain and is responsible for a such terrible loss in the towns below. Up to 90 may still be missing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7HLvwPm ... r_embedded

At home today sitting out the floods. It has not rained for a fair while in my neck of the woods today so flood levels are dropping but the nearby city's of Ipswich and Brisbane are flooding now.

regards Jacko
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

It's mind boggling. We've been a bit preoccupied with the shooting in Tucson but it's small potatoes compared to this tragedy. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

Best,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Pop Watts
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pop Watts »

Anyone heard from Waz????

He is in Toowoomba isn't he?

Pop.
Machado
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Machado »

Jacko wrote:Thankyou for the thoughts and prayers. When will this end?

Here'a a series of frightening displays of Mother Natures power in Toowoomba on monday. This is some of the water that flowed down the mountain and is responsible for a such terrible loss in the towns below. Up to 90 may still be missing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7HLvwPm ... r_embedded

At home today sitting out the floods. It has not rained for a fair while in my neck of the woods today so flood levels are dropping but the nearby city's of Ipswich and Brisbane are flooding now.

regards Jacko
Jacko, my niece just arrived from Brisbane with news that a hurricane is expected upon that area within the next few days. I hope this does not come true.
We're under severe conditions in Rio, too. 295 dead so far.
Best luck, keep yourself high and dry.
Antonio
waz
Levergunner

Post by waz »

Pop Watts wrote:Anyone heard from Waz????

He is in Toowoomba isn't he?

Pop.
Sorry guys, been a bit busy, I should have got on here earlier to give the update. Thank you all for the kind words and prayers, and sincerest condolences to the families of the victims of this tragedy.

We're all good. Bit of water through the bottom room but more an inconvenience than anything. S-I-L lives in Plainland in the Lockyer Valley, their place got hammered. We can't get down to help them as Withcott to Marburg has been declared a crime zone (just to keep out rubber-neckers until the missing are accounted for). Currently, Toowoomba is almost out of fuel and shop shelves are empty. We're fine in this area as my wife is very organised running the home and I've got plenty of diesel, but I can imagine some will be starting to feel the pinch in the next few days. Not sure when supply chains will be reopened as I believe the Port of Brisbane is still closed and the Lockyer (The South-East's fruit and vege area) has been decimated.

To put a little perspective on the flash flood that started in Toowoomba and took out Murphy's Creek, Postman's Ridge, Withcott, Laidley, Grantham; it was about 10-20% of the water that fell here. Just about all of the water that falls in Toowoomba goes west, out to the Condamine River (which eventually winds up in South Australia).

Can't really compare it to Katrina, as, although the area is large, it has nowhere near the population density. Most of the areas of high density population have had a fair bit of notice to prepare so the evacuation plans have worked.

The real heroes have been the people of the emergency services. I have an emergency services scanner and listening to them was inspiring. There was one female cop cut off between Laidley and Withcott trying to keep people safe down there and giving sit-reps. She managed to get about 100 ppl to high ground and was just reporting houses floating past with people inside.

Now the politics, I despise our state premier (Anna Bligh), I can't stand her management or most of her decisions. Having said that, she has done a truly fantastic job in this disaster. Communication and direction has been regular, clear and concise. There is a sense of confidence and morale has been kept high. Volunteers are well organised and efficient.

Thanks again guys.

Waz
waz
Levergunner

Post by waz »

Machado wrote: Jacko, my niece just arrived from Brisbane with news that a hurricane is expected upon that area within the next few days. I hope this does not come true.
We're under severe conditions in Rio, too. 295 dead so far.
Best luck, keep yourself high and dry.
Antonio
Yes! you stay safe too. The Brazil tragedy has made the news here too. The figures are just mind boggling.

I really feel for you guys. It's really sobering when I think we've got it bad, to see that there is something like this to put it back into perspective.

God bless.
Waz
Jacko
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jacko »

I had not heard of whats happened in Brazil - My God, - truely awefull.

I don't frequent the Web enough to know who's who and where they live on Leverguns, knew there is quite a few Aussies though and had hoped some would add to this thread

Thankyou for the perspective Waz, I'm only 100 miles away and only indirectly affected, not had flood waters dangerously close or suffered any loss. At times I've been moved to tears and I can not watch the endless images on the Teli, the plight of so many, the terrible loss they have suffered and those that have lost their lifes. I am thinking of your community, your family and friends and hope that all can move on to better things.

I hear the folks out at Goondiwindi are bracing themselves as the Levi bank offers flood protection to 11 metres, currently the flood is at 10.85 metres and the Levi is holding. Some of these flood waters will flow inland for months yet , flooding as they go. Some of the inland towns a little further North have been flooded 3 or 4 times since Christmas.

Waz I suspect I'm cut from a different political cloth to you, which does not mean I approve of all the Labour government has been up to but I too am very impressed with the cooperation between Local, State and Commonwealth governments, the human face of the figureheads and the role they have played in organising and coordinating the emergency services and getting information out.

I've been less impressed with some of the bloody telivision media playing sickening tabloid games in search of ratings

A bit of funny news that I heard on ABC radio yesterday - Police issued a warning to the public not to be alarmed as 2 coffins floated down the Brisbane River. Seems they where Hallowean props, one proped open with a manequin inside.

regards Jacko
Lawyer Daggit
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Lawyer Daggit »

NSW is pretty wet as well. We are just waiting for a lot of the water to move down stream.

Its typical for Australia. Everyone was winging about the impact of drought on the Murray River system a few months back.....
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

Aside from Toowoomba, Queensland had time to prepare and evacuate. Looks like Rio got taken completely by surprise. I see from the news that a lot of the deaths in Rio were caused by mudslides. I suppose you could ask how they get surprised if heavy rain started to fall on a mudslide prone area.

Flooding is occurring in Victoria and NSW as well.

Yesterday my daughter got back from a two week deployment in the Kimberley and she says its been raining nonstop up there too, and the red mud through all her gear when she dumped it on the laundry floor for her mother proves it :lol:

I read on the news this morning that Brisbane is starting to have trouble with looters. Police have set up a special looters task force, but whats the use of that if they don't shoot the Bar-steads when they catch them.

To all those affected by this weather around the world, take care, and our thoughts are with you.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Just read ths story about a young hero's actions during the flood.

Warning: better have a hanky ready.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_upshot/20 ... lian-flood
mad mucus
Levergunner 1.0

Post by mad mucus »

Waters are receding quickly and cleanup is occuring.
"Outlaw firearms and only the outlaws will have them."
the telegraphist
Levergunner 2.0

Post by the telegraphist »

My local town went under on Monday with the Mary river peaking at close to 22 metres. No deaths just water damage and inconvenience, were cut-off for a couple of days. Choppers dropped flour/yeast into town for the bakeries. Been off work as the factory ran out of raw materials and also could not get crews in to work the plant. Roads south are cut, but today the main highway to Brisbane is open, so stuff will start moving again. Rockhampton 350 miles north their main highway to the south opened yesterday morning. Things will slowly get back to normal.

There is a death toll, prayers to all those familis, but things could have been alot worse. Some areas had warnings and were able to plan, others where most of the devestation took place had no warning, it was a freak of nature like 400mm of rain overnight. Thats about 16 inches.

In Queensland fashion, if ya fall off your horse you just get right back up there and ride on. Thats the whole feeling and attitude of the people in this state.
Queensland will survive and probably become much stronger because of these events. Everyone is pulling together.
GUN CONTROL IS HITTING YOUR TARGET
Lawyer Daggit
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Lawyer Daggit »

I have never personally dealt with flooding- just Australia's third evil after snakes and floods- fires.

They can place an immense strain on community resources and it is gratifying to here that Queensland has got it together- as emergency services did a month ago when we had some flooding in Queanbeyan NSW (nothing like the Qld scale though).

I just hope Insurance companies there do the right thing. Queanbeyan flooding resulted from a release of water from an overly full Googong Dam, and I understand some insurers are declining cover on this basis.

Given the nature of releases from the Dam above Brisbane, I imagine the same arguments will be run there, imposing years of grief on individuals as they wait for legal claims to finalise.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Thoughts and prayers for all those in need.
Old Law Dawg