OT Taffin on colt SAA

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

OT Taffin on colt SAA

Post by rjohns94 »

http://www.sixguns.com/range/colt.htm

"For big game hunting my first choice is one of the excellent five-shot revolvers from Freedom Arms. Knocking about the woods, A virtually indestructible Ruger, preferably an old Flat-top Single Action suits me just fine. And for defensive use, I can think of no finer choice than a four-inch double action big-bore sixgun from Smith & Wesson. BUT, when I want to stir my soul, quicken my spirit, or make my heart beat just a little faster, I'll reach for a Colt Single Action Army and head for the hills."

I love the writings of the last generatin and I couldn't agree more. The Colt SAA stirs my soul, quickens my spirit,, and speaks to the ancient in me. I'm looking forward to heading to the hills this friday, Colt .44 in hand, ammo in my pocket.
Last edited by rjohns94 on Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
AmBraCol
Webservant

Re: OT Taffin on colt SAA

Post by AmBraCol »

Send a couple down range for me while you're at it. It's been nearly a decade since I got to join Taffin at the range and send a few rounds out of an old 45 Colt he has. He is indeed a good author.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Called wordsmiths. And so very correct.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

rjohns94 wrote:BUT, when I want to stir my soul, quicken my spirit, or make my heart beat just a little faster, I'll reach for a Colt Single Action Army and head for the hills."
I couldn't agree more. I also agree with the comment on the FA's. Therein lies the reason why I have one in 454 so when I go knocking about the wilds I have a very accurate, reliable and powerful enough sidearm that I don't have any concerns over no matter what's coming I'll have the tools to to take care of it.
Old Law Dawg
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Picking up a Pietta 45 Colt clone next Thurs. - 5 1/2". I have come to an appreciation of the SAA clone as a group through reading Paco's book. This is maybe the tightest single action I have seen except the FAs revolvers.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

He's speaking to the old men and nostalgia buffs, selling the next issue of the magazine, whether that is his deliberate intent or not.

If he and others like him wrote in the 1870s, the words might be "For defense or as a back up to a rifle when hunting, the new Colt cartridge pistol is a good choice, but for walking about, enjoying the joy of pistol-craft, nothing stirs the soul like the Colt model of 51 in Navy caliber....."

KnowwhatImean?
Certified gun nut
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

:D :D :D

The SAA does indeed "stir the soul". It isn't anything like the seemingly inifinite crop of heartless auto-loaders out today, regardless of how useful they may be!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

adirondakjack wrote:He's speaking to the old men and nostalgia buffs, selling the next issue of the magazine, whether that is his deliberate intent or not.
If he and others like him wrote in the 1870s, the words might be "For defense or as a back up to a rifle when hunting, the new Colt cartridge pistol is a good choice, but for walking about, enjoying the joy of pistol-craft, nothing stirs the soul like the Colt model of 51 in Navy caliber....."
KnowwhatImean?
Eggakerly! But... in fairness... he'd still be RIGHT!!!! Image
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well in that respect the 1860 Army is the one but then my great grandfather fought in the Civil War and likely wanted one of those and I for him acquired a great copy and have taken it shooting.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

I'm sure that what "quickens our soul" has a lot to do with good experiences earlier in life. Hence the nostalgia thing. My experience with Colt single actions was with dad's old 45 that he kept in his toolbox with crescent wrenches, etc. A miserable old clunk that none of us could hit anything with. (And I still can't today, it sits back in the gun safe unused and unloved).

My first good experience with a handgun was weekend pass (us navy boys called it "liberty") when I visited Jack Peccolo with the Border Patrol in Yuma... He showed me that I could hit something quite well with a Colt double-action revolver. I subsequently wore out a Python, replaced it with a Ruger 101 and Redhawk and don't need anything better than that. They quicken my soul just fine and will handle any defensive or offensive chores that come along. But I can certainly appreciate the looks of the SAA and nice copies thereof. And have shot them happily myself. Just that I personally prefer the feel of the double action revolvers: Mr. Ruger got awful close to perfection when he did the Redhawk (might have backslid a bit with the super-redhawk, but oh well).
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

Taffin is, without a doubt, my favorite gun-scribe.

Bogie
Sadly, "Political Correctness" is the most powerful religion in America, and it has ruined our society.
natedontgo
Levergunner 1.0

Post by natedontgo »

I was blessed to have Mr.Taffin as a J.H.Math teacher for all 3 of our girls...He was no slouch at that,either.... Nate