Day Is Done, Down The Sun: Taps, For the .450 Marlin

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Day Is Done, Down The Sun: Taps, For the .450 Marlin

Post by Pete44ru »

It's official. The 1895M has been dropped from the MarRem catalog.

It figured, after Hornady stopped production of 450 Marlin brass, that the handwriting was on the wall.

FWIW, after trying it, I always preferred the .45-70, anyway; and (evidently) so did plenty of other folks.

tman
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Day Is Done, Down The Sun: Taps, For the .450 Marlin

Post by tman »

The 450 marlin chambered in a 20" barreled, straight gripped model 94 would have been the holy grail! Winchester never did. Modern 45-70 performance out of a 1894 without having to handload. I'll mourn the passing of this one. :cry:
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I don't think I'll bury mine just yet. I have enough brass and ammo to last a couple lifetimes.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I liked the idea of having a big bore gun that actually sanctioned 'modern loads' - I'll bet the .450's & .45-70's of the same make and model are not much different in 'breaking strength', but of course anything other than SAAMI-spec ammunition is considered a no-no for just about every gun I've read the instruction manual for. (I wonder what the 'official' 'disclaimer' language in the Ruger No. 1 manual says regarding .45-70 ammo?)

Of course there's always the .444 Marlin - pretty much no 'debate' as to what level of power is 'appropriate' for the Marlins on that one, and there's not much I'd be scared to shoot with a .444 Marlin that I'd not be just as scared to shoot with a .45-70 that didn't say 'Gatling' on it.
Last edited by AJMD429 on Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

AJ, :lol: :D

Never has one and never wanted one - well, until now that they don't make them anymore. Now it is one of those very interesting obsolete cartridges that we ruminate about.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Old Savage wrote:Now it is one of those very interesting obsolete cartridges that we ruminate about.
But, but, but . . . it doesn't have a hyphen . . !

Maybe we should start calling it the .45-00 Marlin.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
brno602
Levergunner 2.0

Post by brno602 »

I think the same thing will happen to all the new Marlin cals?
Sad but history always repeats ie 307win, 356win = 308 /.338 Marlin.
The .444 and 45/70 have a very loyal group of shooters that like them so I think it was a bad idea from the start for the .450.

All we need is Savage to bring back the 99 in .308 & a small run of 300s and .358s :D and of course 250/3000 and maybe a .243
P.S
I almost forgot the 7mm08 and 260 would be great.
Ah a 6.5 99 I can dream right?
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

So that is probably what I saw on the wall at a local Gun Shop Fri. She said it was a 450 but that didn't spark any interest with Me. After seeing this post, is there any other makers of a 450 ? O.S. if U R interested I can get U a price. A.J. -sure it has a Hyphen ( that is what U do when U can' get ammo after buying the Gun. )
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

I didn't see the .450 Marlin hanging around long either. I have one just because I've got every other caliber Marlin has offered in my lifetime, but it just gathers dust in the safe.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

The rifle in 450 Marlin that has my interest is a Winchester Timber Carbine, with the wood stock, factory XS sights and scout rail and ported barrel. Yet, I have NEVER seen one in person or for sale anywhere. That would be a super-handy rifle in a configuration I'd enjoy. WIth that in mind, I still always thought Winchester should have made the identical rifle in 45-70. I'm thinking I won't miss the 450 Marlin - but , maybe if I could have had one of those Timber Carbines I would have learned to love it.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
foxtrapper
Levergunner 2.0

Post by foxtrapper »

foxtrapper
Levergunner 2.0

Post by foxtrapper »

86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

says "for trade" and I don't have either of the trade items.....
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

The winchester 94 can't chamber the 45-70 without extensive modifaction. I don't think anybody has sucessfully done it. That's what makes the passing of the 450 marlin so sad. While winchester never made a 450 in a straight gripped 20" barrelled 94, I'd of bought a few. :(
Jayhawker
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jayhawker »

While we lament the demise of the 450 Marlin, how long should we give the 35 Rem and 444 Marlin? I'm not sure either of those has a lot of support with the new company hierarchy as they seem to be chambered in fewer and fewer models.
Well done is better than well said.
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

...and another proprietary cartridge bites the dust. The mortality rate seems rather high on these.
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Post by LeverBob »

What a shame....a first class heavy hitter for the big stuff. My opinion is only from afar...

Not to worry...Frank Barnes thought of the solution way back in the fifties. If'n y'all want one, just rechamber a 45-70 or rebarrel a .444 for his .458x2" American cartridge. You may be able to find an NOS or a good used one, but if not, then make one up for yersef'! Then you would be able to use all that spent belted stuff you've been hoarding (being cheap as we all are) to cut down, ream & re-form.

Personally, I use a .444 Outfitter for my heavy stuff & never owned a .450. Still...it does strike my fancy now & again. :)

Best to y'all...things change....

LB
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

I coulda told ya they weren't selling years ago. Our SASS club did some stuff for Big Green and they would get a Marlin (back before the buyout, when Remington bought em cheap from Marlin) for a donation for our state shoot. Always a .450 because, to steal a line from the car biz, they were dead on the showroom floor, so they would almost give em away.
Certified gun nut
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

.450 chambered rifles can still chamber .45-70 correct?
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Jayhawker wrote:While we lament the demise of the 450 Marlin, how long should we give the 35 Rem and 444 Marlin? I'm not sure either of those has a lot of support with the new company hierarchy as they seem to be chambered in fewer and fewer models.

You likely dont have to worry at all about the .444 --- there are plenty out there going back decades now. .429 vs. .458 means the supported end of the chamber has more meat --- meaning fewer ka-booms hopefully. .44 Mag fans like .429 bullets too

I actually thought the .35 Rem was already obsolete though -- along with the Winchester "big bores" starting with the 307.

I want to like the .450, really i do, but i prefer to shoot my 45/70 with light to medium loads and loads that approach .450 performance are wasted on Oklahoma deer (well, wasted is not the right term -- overkill maybe)
----- Doug
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

MrMurphy wrote:.450 chambered rifles can still chamber .45-70 correct?
No, the .450 is a belted case. Looks a little like a .458 Winchester Mag. Marlin/ Hornady did this to keep
people from stuffing a hot loaded round into an ole Trapdoor or something similar.

jb 8)

Steelbanger
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Steelbanger »

2ndovc wrote:
No, the .450 is a belted case. Looks a little like a .458 Winchester Mag. Marlin/ Hornady did this to keep
people from stuffing a hot loaded round into an ole Trapdoor or something similar.

jb 8)
Also, the 450 belt is located a bit forward of the belt location on conventional belted cartridges. This means that you can't form your own 450's from 458 Win brass. Best stock up on 450 Marlin cases now while they're available.
"He who has gone, so we but cherish his memory, abides with us, more potent, nay, more present, than the living man."
Antoine de Saint-Expuéry

Steelbanger, N.R.A. Life
PRPA Member
Marlin - a hard habit to break.
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

I knew the .450 was belted, so you couldn't stick it in a .45-70 and blow it up. But i was always under the impression standard .45-70 would still work in a .450, i.e .357/.38 Special.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

As Col. Cooper said: "The 450 was an answer to a question that was never asked". By the time the 450 came out, Garrett and Buffalo Bore had hot hunting ammo. The 300 grain offerings from Federal and Winchester were very excellent, as well. One could hunt anything with the available options at the time.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

The 450 Marlin works in a model 94 winchester, while the 45-70 can't. Guess the old colonel wasn't a big fan.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

tman wrote:The 450 Marlin works in a model 94 winchester, while the 45-70 can't. Guess the old colonel wasn't a big fan.
That speaks against the 94, not the round... :?

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

A model 94 with a 20" barrel and 7 shot capacity would 've made a hell of a good lever "scout rifle" for dangerous game. Think the good colonel missed the boat on this one.
66GTO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 66GTO »

foxtrapper wrote:86er close but no cigar :D http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =209736441
The only way they could make that cross bolt safety any uglier would be to paint it Day-Glo Orange! At least on a Marlin it doesn't have a 1/2 lb. of the receiver scalloped out and on the Marlin the cross bolt safety can be removed and made unobtrusive.
Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death! P Henry

When the Government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the Government, there is tyranny.T Jefferson
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

tman wrote:A model 94 with a 20" barrel and 7 shot capacity would 've made a hell of a good lever "scout rifle" for dangerous game. Think the good colonel missed the boat on this one.
He had already thrown in with the Wild West version, and the 1895 Marlins that were coming out. There was no factory .450 that could hold a candle to some of the Garrett's or BBore ammo out there. Even handloading, the 45-70 had a scant couple grain advantage, but it prolly could not have exceeded standard deviation.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Hey,
I have a 99 in .358!
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

86er wrote:The rifle in 450 Marlin that has my interest is a Winchester Timber Carbine, with the wood stock, factory XS sights and scout rail and ported barrel. Yet, I have NEVER seen one in person or for sale anywhere. That would be a super-handy rifle in a configuration I'd enjoy. WIth that in mind, I still always thought Winchester should have made the identical rifle in 45-70. I'm thinking I won't miss the 450 Marlin - but , maybe if I could have had one of those Timber Carbines I would have learned to love it.
This is the second one I've seen today ... http://www.gunsamerica.com/classifieds/ ... 8468.aspx#

I guess people have taken to dumping them lately. Maybe not exactly what you're looking for but close.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

BlaineG wrote:
tman wrote:A model 94 with a 20" barrel and 7 shot capacity would 've made a hell of a good lever "scout rifle" for dangerous game. Think the good colonel missed the boat on this one.
He had already thrown in with the Wild West version, and the 1895 Marlins that were coming out. There was no factory .450 that could hold a candle to some of the Garrett's or BBore ammo out there. Even handloading, the 45-70 had a scant couple grain advantage, but it prolly could not have exceeded standard deviation.
The 45-70 is the hands down winner in power. It'll always beat the 450 marlin. The 1895 marlin is heavier, doesn't point as well, and has less capacity than the 20" full magazine 450 marlin chambered 1894 winchester that was never built. I guess you could rechamber one in .444 marlin for one. But since the 450 marlin has passed :cry: why bother.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Rimfire McNutjob wrote:
86er wrote:The rifle in 450 Marlin that has my interest is a Winchester Timber Carbine, with the wood stock, factory XS sights and scout rail and ported barrel. Yet, I have NEVER seen one in person or for sale anywhere. That would be a super-handy rifle in a configuration I'd enjoy. WIth that in mind, I still always thought Winchester should have made the identical rifle in 45-70. I'm thinking I won't miss the 450 Marlin - but , maybe if I could have had one of those Timber Carbines I would have learned to love it.
This is the second one I've seen today ... http://www.gunsamerica.com/classifieds/ ... 8468.aspx#

I guess people have taken to dumping them lately. Maybe not exactly what you're looking for but close.
Well, by the time I looked again it had been sold. Wasn't up there for long at $799.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

All this academic "BS" is meaningless.
The .450m will have a dedicated following just like the .375 Win. .33 WCF, 35 WCF., 38-72, Etc,Etc.

Just one more Odd Ball to Collect and show the uninformed what is "cool" and what is not!!

Take a three hundred pound boar with ammo you made yourself or an elk at 300 yds with a
round that hasn't been made in two or three decades and you'll show the youngsters how it's done!!

jb 8)

horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

IMO, the Gun and Bullet companies need to watch bringing in new calibers like this and then just dropping them. If they dont plan to stand by their products and see them through, they are better off to not even introducing it; it cant be good for buisness. Of course, I may be the only one here too cheap to spring for high dollar ammo. Just think how many calibers have been introduced in the last 10 years or so and now you cant hardly find a box and brass is rare. Just off the top of my head I can think of the 6.8, and all of the various SHORT MAGNUM cartridges that WIN. and REM. came out with.

Some may call me "Vanilla" but give me the old standard .243, .270, .308, .30-06, and .45-70 any day. Ammo is plentiful, you can find it everywhere, it doesnt cost you an arm and leg, and best of all IT DROPS GAME EVERYTIME YOU DO YOUR PART.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Sorry, but I never understood the point of that cartridge. AFAIAC it was just another attempt by Marlin to foist on the shooting public a unneeded and redundant proprietary cartridge. I can load my 1886 Winchesters, even the originals, to out perform the .450 M with ease. :|
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

and just because it's been dropped from this year's catalog doesn't mean it won't be back. Remember the 1894FG, the one in .41 Magnum? That was dropped and came back, then dropped again.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

pwl44m wrote:After seeing this post, is there any other makers of a 450 ?

Doesn't (or didn't) Browning chamber the BLR is 450? As far as for shooting 45-70 in one, I think that the 450 case (and chamber) is a little shorter than the 45-70 case, might not be able to fully close the bolt anyway.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

horsesoldier03 wrote:IMO, the Gun and Bullet companies need to watch bringing in new calibers like this and then just dropping them. If they dont plan to stand by their products and see them through, they are better off to not even introducing it; it cant be good for buisness. Of course, I may be the only one here too cheap to spring for high dollar ammo. Just think how many calibers have been introduced in the last 10 years or so and now you cant hardly find a box and brass is rare. Just off the top of my head I can think of the 6.8, and all of the various SHORT MAGNUM cartridges that WIN. and REM. came out with.

Some may call me "Vanilla" but give me the old standard .243, .270, .308, .30-06, and .45-70 any day. Ammo is plentiful, you can find it everywhere, it doesnt cost you an arm and leg, and best of all IT DROPS GAME EVERYTIME YOU DO YOUR PART.
+1 I'm no longer gonna buy a new rifle for a new cartridge only to have it dropped from production. I refuse to pay $50 a box for ammo, that even at that price, can't find in a boxmart. The 30-30 and 30-06 in a lever will handle all my hunting needs. If the manufactorer refuses to support it, why should I :x
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Mike D. wrote:Sorry, but I never understood the point of that cartridge. AFAIAC it was just another attempt by Marlin to foist on the shooting public a unneeded and redundant proprietary cartridge. I can load my 1886 Winchesters, even the originals, to out perform the .450 M with ease. :|
The 450 marlin would fit in the model 94 platform, which gives a much lighter and handier platform than the model 86. The 450 gives adequite power for brown bear, with factory ammo, without having to handload. While i thought this is the best thing since sliced bread, nobody else see's it this way or doesn't care. :cry:
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

tman wrote:
Mike D. wrote:Sorry, but I never understood the point of that cartridge. AFAIAC it was just another attempt by Marlin to foist on the shooting public a unneeded and redundant proprietary cartridge. I can load my 1886 Winchesters, even the originals, to out perform the .450 M with ease. :|
The 450 marlin would fit in the model 94 platform, which gives a much lighter and handier platform than the model 86. The 450 gives adequite power for brown bear, with factory ammo, without having to handload. While i thought this is the best thing since sliced bread, nobody else see's it this way or doesn't care. :cry:

I care.
I love my .450 Marlin. It was a Christmas gift from my family and I wil never give it up. Deadly accurate and will knock down just about anything in it's path.
"Dead and buried" I doubt it. How long was the .405 Winchester dead and gone and then magically resurected? And it was only procuced for a couple years. Just like the .450m.

Cartridges come and go, that's just the nature of the business. Just a couple years ago the Super Short Magnums were all the rage. Anyone bought one of those lately?
The manufacturers have to keep us interested in "something new" to stay profitable, and stay in business!
You never know what the next best thing will be. Winchester was on to something with the Pack Rifles and Scout Take down's but it was just too late.

When will the next .45-70 or .38 spl. be invented ? You never know. I thought the .40 S&W was going to be a flash in the pan but that dopey round is still with us.
Who knows?

jb 8)

tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

While we agree on the 450 Marlin, The 40S&w in a Glock 27 with a 13 shot mag is a neat package. In both cases, it's about a lot of power in light packages.
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

I've got two, one in a Marlin 1895M and one in a Winchester Timber Carbine. The Timber Carbine still has the tags on it and is in the original box. The Marlin has been fired exactly five times since I bought it new. The Timber Carbine is one of the last off the line, actually it was shipped during the week after Winchester closed. Those five shots fired out of the Marlin, were surprisingly accurate, but also told me that unless I am hunting elephants it will be used sparingly. This announcement has me thinking that I should load up some reduced loads (say 350 gr loaded to about 1900 fps) and try 'em again. Yep, it is pretty close to the .45-70, but mine will be a .450 Marlin!

As soon as I get back from New Hampshire (stuck in Nashua for business), I am going to see if I can cycle a standard .45-70 in the chamber. It should work as the cartridge is identical except for the band.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

The .450 is shorter than the .45-70 .
You can use .45-70 data as many do.

As for me, I never did see any great deal with that round. I love the .45-70. :wink:
captain prozak
Levergunner

Post by captain prozak »

If anyone is still looking for a Timberline in .450 Marlin, I just posted one in the classifieds.....

http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =2&t=32725
anachronism
Levergunner

Post by anachronism »

Steelbanger wrote:
2ndovc wrote:

jb 8)
Also, the 450 belt is located a bit forward of the belt location on conventional belted cartridges. This means that you can't form your own 450's from 458 Win brass. Best stock up on 450 Marlin cases now while they're available.
What about setting the barrel back a couple of turns & rechambering for 458X2?
BAGTIC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by BAGTIC »

Why didn't they make up some modern .45-70 ammo with a different headstamp, like .458-70? That would have kept them off the hook legally. It worked for the .38 Auto and the .38 Super. That way in a pinch owners could always pick up some .45-70 loads at the local gas station out in the sticks for emergencies.

Another alternative would have been to put a small shoulder on the new case, just enough so it would not fit in a .45-70 chamber.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

The extended belt would keep me from getting a 450. Can't easily make the brass when it is gone.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

horsesoldier03 wrote:IMO, the Gun and Bullet companies need to watch bringing in new calibers like this and then just dropping them. If they dont plan to stand by their products and see them through, they are better off to not even introducing it; it cant be good for buisness. Of course, I may be the only one here too cheap to spring for high dollar ammo. Just think how many calibers have been introduced in the last 10 years or so and now you cant hardly find a box and brass is rare. Just off the top of my head I can think of the 6.8, and all of the various SHORT MAGNUM cartridges that WIN. and REM. came out with.

No way to argue the point, but as with any hobby some folks enjoy the path less traveled. So many great chamberings and so few rifles in my closet!! :D

Cheers,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

and don't forget the BFR in 450 Marlin. I saw a guy shooting one at the range; that's one Big Revolver.

By the way, there's some discrepancy to what "BFR" stands for. I heard a couple of guys discussing the gun in question and no one called it a "Big Frame Revolver".
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."