Ammunition not commercially available

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
enfieldman
Levergunner

Ammunition not commercially available

Post by enfieldman »

What is this. All ammo seems to be available one way or another. Obsolete just meens the big manufacturers don't make it. Is there a list of calibers.
perry owens
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Ammunition not commercially available

Post by perry owens »

Appendix 5 of the document Firearms - Guidance to the Police, from the UK Home Office, lists what the UK authorities regard as obsolete calibres. Antique firearms chambered in the listed calibres may be possessed without a licence although "antique" is not defined in law. Possession of ammunition, even obsolete calibre, without a licence is an offence.
Here is a link to the document http://tna.europarchive.org/20100419081 ... iew=Binary
Perry Owens
"Always carry a firearm east of Aldgate Watson."
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

perry owens wrote:Possession of ammunition, even obsolete calibre, without a licence is an offence.
That reminds me to say two prayers today:
  • a)my prayer of thanks - that the U.S. still has some freedom, and
    b)my prayer of asking - that the rest of the world will move towards freedom.
Amazing a government can be so arrogant as to tell its citizens what guns they may own - at least in the U.S. it started out properly, with the citizens owning what they wanted, and the government only allowed what the citizens felt was necessary and proper. Of course we've gone astray from the original path, unfortunately...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
enfieldman
Levergunner

Post by enfieldman »

I was referring to the U.S. although I have seen this phrase in UK and Australia.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

AJMD429 wrote:
perry owens wrote:Possession of ammunition, even obsolete calibre, without a licence is an offence.
That reminds me to say two prayers today:
  • a)my prayer of thanks - that the U.S. still has some freedom, and
    b)my prayer of asking - that the rest of the world will move towards freedom.
Amazing a government can be so arrogant as to tell its citizens what guns they may own - at least in the U.S. it started out properly, with the citizens owning what they wanted, and the government only allowed what the citizens felt was necessary and proper. Of course we've gone astray from the original path, unfortunately...

Think I've have to add both of those prayers to my daily list!

To me, "ammunition not commercially available" simply means ammunition that is made for a caliber that no firearm producer manufactures currently, or ammunition that is not regularly made by the major ammunition producers since demand is very low. Given the "micro-breweries", ammunition-wise, one can still find someone willing to load almost anything that ever was. All it takes is money - and often a lot of it.
stanforth
Levergunner 1.0

Post by stanforth »

In the UK our Government used to let their citizens own whater they wanted.

19th Century Prime Minister, Palmerston I beleive....'My dream is a rifle in every cottage in the land'

Things do change.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

enfieldman wrote:What is this. All ammo seems to be available one way or another. Obsolete just meens the big manufacturers don't make it. Is there a list of calibers.
There are quite a few calibers that are NOT available. Try to find .44Rimfire, or most any of the rimfires other'n .22. Several of the old buffalo cartridges are not loaded, either commerically or even by small "boutique" firms. "Commercially available" usually describes that which is manufactured and for sale thru normal chains of supply; such as manufacturer to distributor to wholesaler to retail.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
enfieldman
Levergunner

Post by enfieldman »

So what does the BATF have to say about it. Is a .54 cal miniball paper cartridge available in normal commercial channels, or a .380 long, .32 rimfire or .38-50 Ballard Everlasting? Are there guidelines, or rules or publications regarding this?
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

Segregating that phrase out of the mix "ammunition not commercially available", made me think....does that mean that technically wildcat chamberings in new rifles are also C & R approved?

Ed
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

NYS makes a big deal about this in defining an antique for the purpose of "is it a firearm". "Obsolete" ammo is ammo not available through "normal supply channels" In other words, if no big houses load it, no SAAMI members, and the big ammo companies don't even list it, yer PROBABLY good, but some DA could find a listing online and still make life miserable for ya if they chose to (even though in court ya probably prevail) with something like .50-70 for example. Some clear examples of obsolete are the rimfires above .22 mentioned, as well as stuff like .32 ROOK, .50 Remington Revolver, .450 Adams, etc.
Certified gun nut
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

Kansas Ed wrote:Segregating that phrase out of the mix "ammunition not commercially available", made me think....does that mean that technically wildcat chamberings in new rifles are also C & R approved?

Ed
Gun and chambering first have to be old enough.....
Certified gun nut
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

stanforth, I just tried to email you with the following text, " It ocurred to me to invite you gents to come , "across the the pond", as we're wont to say, but I don't honestly know just how secure our gunrights are with that person in the White House. But, regardless I want you to know that IF your government goes to war on the ragheads, I would stand shoulder-to-shoulder with you in wiping the bastids out, just like we did in WWII. I'm 64 but I can still hit what I aim at out to 200yds &, if necessary, beyond!" Guess what!.....it was kicked backed to me! jd45
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

Here's a Queensland Police Service list: http://www.police.qld.gov.au/programs/w ... ilAmmo.htm
perry owens
Levergunner 3.0

Post by perry owens »

Bruce Scott wrote:Here's a Queensland Police Service list: http://www.police.qld.gov.au/programs/w ... ilAmmo.htm
Hey Bruce, I thought our UK laws were bad but this piece of legislation is just ridiculous. I see from the rest of the site that they do not approve ammo if it is available for sale anywhere in the world. Not manufactured, just for sale. They probably made up their list from the Old Western Scroungers catalogue.
I see from the list that you can't have a 0.577 Snider if it's made by BSA or Enfield - does this mean you can have one made by London Armoury Co?

Perry Owens
"Always carry a firearm east of Aldgate Watson."