Rossi 92 - accessories

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Irelander
Levergunner 2.0

Rossi 92 - accessories

Post by Irelander »

OK, I got my Rossi 92 stainless 16" .44MAG last year. WOO HOO! Took it deer hunting but came up short. That's another story. It shoots great and functions great. I did smooth things up and it feels so good and I refinished the stock. With mountain lion sightings near our place, I carry this bad boy for woods walking...just in case.

The only issue I had with this gun is that it shot very high. I had to remove the rear sight adjustment ramp to get it sighted in. No big deal.

Now I need some help picking out some accessories for my 92.

SIGHTS:
Rear:
I have always wanted the tang peep sights, but I'm not sure if they are right for a working rifle. I like the thought of getting the longest sight radius that I can out of my 16" barrel. Are they too delicate? I don't want to pay an arm and a leg for a Marbles set. I saw that Taurus makes one but it does not look like it will fit on the R92. Is there a tang sight that is right for the R92?
I'd really like some kind of peep.
Front:
I'm thinking of the front sight with the brass bead.

SLING:
I don't mind carrying this baby in my arms but sometimes it would be nice to sling it over my back. Who makes the best sling mounts for the R92? I'd like to find one that will mount on the side of the rifle so I can sling it across my back and the rifle will lay flat against my back. I'd also like the sling mounts to reflect the nostalgia of the rifle. For some reason I think putting a set of Uncle Mike's studs on there wouldn't look right. But if that is my only option then I'm game.

OTHER STUFF:
I definitely want to get Nates stainless safety plug, ejector spring, and stainless mag follower.

I guess the only other stuff I need is more ammo. Time to get reloading.
The time has come to stand for all we believe in.

Glock Certified Armorer
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Re: Rossi 92 - accessories

Post by Old Savage »

Well Adam, surprised that lions are in Pa, used to live there. On the tang sight, I don't thing I would want on close to my eye on that light a rifle. I recall Elmer Keith writing that a friends wife had a serious eye injury from a tang sight when they were out shooting but Pete44U has one on a 20" 92 and likes it. I like the sling idea, but my taste can often be different than others.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I have several Marbles tang sights on some of my leverguns. The 45-90 will occasionally click against my glasses if I forget to stay back a little while on the bench. Never happens while hunting. Try to get a friend who gets the discount at Brownells or Midway and don't forget that you must order the screw set separately. They don't come with the sight. I like a patridge or some call it a post front, more precise than a bead. MKJ probably has a tang sight for the Rossi, lots of SASS shooters use them. When hunting or shooting SASS I just screw the aperture out and use the threaded hole. Very fast.
I'm in northeast OK and have seen a cougar twice in the last couple of years though our game department claims none are here. One of my sons even has video.

M. M.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Irelander
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Irelander »

There have been several sightings of lions around the other farms in my area in the last year or more. Game Commission confirmed lion tracks about a mile from my place. We also had a lion in the field across the road from me. It snatched one of the neighbors chickens. My neighbor shot at it with a pistol but missed. Never saw it since and that was about 6 months ago. I've been meaning to get out with snow on the ground and see if I can find some tracks. I'm not too worried about it but I do watch my back a little closer when out in the woods.

Thanks for the input on the accessories.

Glock Certified Armorer
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

In order to answer those questions we really need a picture of the gun in question.

Okay, we don't - but we really WANT a picture of the gun in question! :D

I'd start with Nate's stuff and then go from there.
Irelander
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Irelander »

Ok, here's a few pictures.

Glock Certified Armorer
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

Get "Nate's" peep that replaces the safety and kill two birds with one stone. I plan on getting the same gun but can't decide between 44Mag and 45Colt.
Irelander
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Irelander »

I've considered Nate's peep that replaces the safety but I do like the nostalgic look of the tang peep. I also wonder how sturdy that safety peep is.

Glock Certified Armorer
brno602
Levergunner 2.0

Post by brno602 »

I am going to put a sling on mine,it's nice to have two hands free.
mine is a 16'' 45 colt and even with Max BH or TC loads the recoil is light, so I will try a Tang sight next,I put a scout scope on it, was very impressed at how good it shot but hated the look of the gun!
The little bugger will do 1400+fps with a 300g bullet but too me does not kick hard.
P.S
I have got Magnum eye from guns that are not supposed to give you that :lol:
So I will try out a tang sight when I can find the funds to buy one.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

The wearing of safety glasses while shooting serves two purposes when used with a tang sight. 1st, it will keep gases out of your occular socket in the case of a ruptured case... and it will provide an impact point other than your cornea if you happen to crawl up the stock and get so close as to be unable to control recoil. I have tang sights on a couple 94 (or 1894) Winchesters in .30-30 and have had NO impacts with anything other'n the brim of my hat! It still wear shooting glasses... even while hunting.

As to a sling... one similar to the kind found on martial Henry (1860) examples would work... if you were to sling in on the same side all the time.
I have an Uncle Mike's that uses the magazine tube as the front point and it works great. It does have a screw in stud in the stock, but I don't find that in the least bit detracting. Ok, maybe the extra stuff is a little over the top... but fun anyway!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

Leverluver wrote:Get "Nate's" peep that replaces the safety and kill two birds with one stone. I plan on getting the same gun but can't decide between 44Mag and 45Colt.
Where you been? Try the .45. 1886.
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

1886 wrote:
Leverluver wrote:Get "Nate's" peep that replaces the safety and kill two birds with one stone. I plan on getting the same gun but can't decide between 44Mag and 45Colt.
Where you been? Try the .45. 1886.
Think I'm leaning that way :wink: . It has more to do with companion handguns than the perceived effectiveness of one round over the other.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

For a 'working gun', I'd mount the Williams FP, because you just might drop the gun while lifting a bale of hay, windthrown branch, or catch the tang sight on a grapevine while wedging through a briarpatch. The Taurus one DOES fit the Rossi 92; halfway down this link-page is a description and pics of my Taurus-on-Rossi tang sight.

link --> - http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =1&t=31831

For a sling-mount, I drilled and tapped the barrel-band for a QD sling stud, as well as the rear stock. I used the 'traditional' bottom locations, but no reason you couldn't put the barrel-band one on the side, and do any number of mounts on the buttstock, depending on if you truly mean it when you say it is a 'working gun' (as in you don't worry about 'tradition' or 'resale value', but just 'practicality'). Just removing the buttplate, then hand-filing a sling-width groove, one sling-thickness in depth, across the buttstock wood, allows you to lay a sling across it from either side, replace the buttstock, and if the sling-end is folded over and stitched, you have a quick side-mount sling with no major stock holes. If you're inclined to do so, you could mount swivel-studs (there are flush mount ones) in the side of the stock, I suppose, or do the hole-type mounts some of the military carbines had. Speaking of that, I like the military barrel bands with the welded-on 1" 'loops' on the side. That would be a sellable aftermarket part for Rossi and Marlin carbines!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Irelander
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Irelander »

Well, I would definitely like to keep the tradition and nostalgia of the rifle. But I guess back in '92 they didn't really use slings much. I'm considering tapping the barrel band on the side for a QD stud and putting a QD stud in the side of the buttstock. I have also thought about forgetting the sling idea and just getting one of these:

Not sure on the sights. I would really like a peep but I just haven't seen the right thing. I do like the Taurus tang sight. Is there an installation guide for that since you need to drill and tap the tang?

Glock Certified Armorer
rogn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rogn »

I really like the scabbard, whats the info on it? Thinking about sling mounting amkes me wonder if a laceup but-boot whould be a good non maring anchor for the lower end of the sling, a special sized screw would make mounting the foreward sling anchor a snap. IOW a sling swivel thudrilled with the barrel band screw extended enough to afix the swivel. Anyhow whats the word on the scabbard?
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

I really need one of those in stainless like yours (well, "need" is a relative term -- ) -- i would be tempted to put a laminate stock on it a'la the stainless MArlins, to have a true all weather ride hard put away wet carbine
----- Doug
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

leverluver, Old Savage showed us some custom handloads for his lever rifle in the thread on .45 Colt Loads. It consisted of a MtBaldy 360GR Keith-style SWC sittin atop 18.5GRS H110 with a mag primer. You talk about the Hammer of Thor!!! That info just might nudge you in the direction of a .45 Colt chambered Rossi. It would me, but I've already got 2. jd45
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Irelander wrote:Not sure on the sights. I would really like a peep but I just haven't seen the right thing. I do like the Taurus tang sight. Is there an installation guide for that since you need to drill and tap the tang?
I think if you search this forum there is a post going into more detail on it. Not too hard. My sight was English and my gun Metric, or the other way around, as far as the main tang-screw, so I got a tap and screw at the local Ace hardware that was whichever the gun was (smaller diameter than the big stock-tang screw, of course), so they'd both be the same type. I forget whether the current Rossis are English or Metric, but either is no big deal. The rear hole of the sight simply goes over the rear stock-tang screw hole, and you substitute a slightly longer screw of the same thread size, which typically comes with the sight, or sometimes came with the gun, (...or sometimes comes from Ace hardware). Then you center the base of the sight, center-punch the spot to drill the new front hole using the sight base as a guide. Remove the sight base, and check to be sure the punch spot is centered in the tang, then drill perpindicular to the surface of the tang. Easiest to use a drill press and the gun mostly disassembled, of course. Tap the hole (again you can use a tap to match whatever screw came with the sight, or if needed, for whatever screw you want to use. It is an 'easy' tapping job, since it is a through-and-through one, vs. a 'bottom' tap - just use tap-cutting-oil and go slowly and patiently. Here's the basic drill-press setup I used for a Williams FP (tapping the receiver instead of the tap, but it shows the tapping process):
Link to Tapping a Rossi for the Williams FP

rogn wrote:I really like the scabbard, whats the info on it?
MidwayUSA sells them, as does CheaperThanDirt - in black, green, camo, and 'desert' colors. They are very well made, but you don't want much sticking out of your gun (i.e. no Marble's "Bullseye" barrel-mounted rear sights), but the Williams FP's do fine, and of course the tangs. I think mine was $34. Sold as 'shotgun' scabbards I believe, but would sure be 'snug' for a pump 12 gauge...

Streetstar wrote:I really need one of those in stainless like yours (well, "need" is a relative term -- ) -- i would be tempted to put a laminate stock on it a'la the stainless Marlins, to have a true all weather ride hard put away wet carbine
I've seen advertisements for "Winchester" synthetic stocks, but don't know how well they'd fit the Rossi copies.

Irelander wrote:Well, I would definitely like to keep the tradition and nostalgia of the rifle. But I guess back in '92 they didn't really use slings much.
Of course then they ALSO just used most of their guns, since they didn't view them as future 'pieces of Americana', so they sawed, cut, filed, bent, and did whatever WORKED for them at the time. While I'd not do that to a genuine antique, or fancy decorative contemporary gun, a "working gun" I view as a tool I want to reflect MY needs, today, and I never feel bad modifying one towards that goal.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Gamo, the airgun manufacturer, currently makes a sling which holds around the barrel and slips over the butt pad. It can be used on rifles and shotguns. If you don't want to put sling swivel studs into the rifle, Gamo may be worth looking at.

Edit:
Cabela's also carries something worth looking at. I think RKrodle has one.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Torel-To ... l+Products
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost