Out of touch?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Out of touch?

Post by Marlin32 »

WEnt to gun show yesterday, not to look around, but brother had to pick up a gun for someone. While he was doing that, I perused the guns around, found two that people on this forum maybe interested in.
Win 1895 in 405win for little over $2k and a Win 33 for over $4k.

Neither of these guns were anywhere near good condition at least aesthetically. Am I out of touch or is this guy off his rocker??

Did see a Marlin 375 that I liked. It was marked at $850 and would consider it "good" condition at least by the looks, I did not pick it up or examine it. Just caught my eye.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Out of touch?

Post by jdad »

You went to a gun "show" where the dealers wanted to "show" and not "sell". :D
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
win38-55
Levergunner 2.0

Post by win38-55 »

Sadly, most of the gun shows around here are exactly that. When I can go to the local gun store and get
most everything the show has but even cheaper what is the point. :cry:
Andrew: He is a real gun freak with way too many guns to shoot or clean.
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

Original 405's command a steep premium over the other calibers. IIRC Blue Book puts it at +150%...though I generally consider blue book out of touch with reality. But a lot of dealers price to blue book and add a little. I've not seen an original 405 in honest shootable condition for 2K for a very long time. So dependent upon original condition that very may well be a decent deal.

Since most of the 33's were Lightweights, unless it was something special, 4K is about $1500-$2000 too high considering the current market.

Ed
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

jdad wrote:You went to a gun "show" where the dealers wanted to "show" and not "sell". :D
Pretty much my expierences. Don't go as often anymore
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I haven't gone in years. A: No concealed carry "for insurance reasons" B: Used going for more than new pricing.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

Sadly, gun show table prices have been grossly inflated over the past decade.

Two factors to this. One is, with the internet, the sheep (that's us) can now see via dealer and auction websites how badly we were being clipped. Second, table buyers seem to be willing to sell more to the uneducated rubes than talking to serious buyers and being willing to be more realistic on prices.

Thinking back, my last few show purchases over the last ten years were all from private (at the table) sellers. Saw something I liked, discussed, cash traded hands, end of story. One gentleman (and he was) I recall that I wound up buying several Ruger Vaqueros from, I filled out a 4473, but he said vaguely, 'I'll just call this in Monday...'.

In the last paragraph, I wanted to make a distinction between buying at the table and buying in between the aisles. Had a Glock certified 'smith at one show I was going to have him do factory work on a '17 and a '19. Of course he was in the middle of the arena and I was reduced to finally just chanting, "not for sale, not for sale" and I worked my way down the aisles with the door sharks following me.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Gun show where they actually had guns for sale... even if over priced... what a novel concept! The .375 Marlin was definitely overpriced if one goes by these possibles:
Item Thumb Title Bids Price Time Left
Marlin 375 Winchester..................................... 0 $650.00 11h 4m +
Marlin 375..................................................... 6 $540.00 1d 2h +
Marlin Model 375 NIB in .375 Win.................... 0 $1,375.00 2d 20h +
Marlin Model 375 in Winchester 375.................. 0 $550.00 5d 1h +
Marlin 375 375 win 1980-1983!........................ 0 $750.00 5d 6h +
Marlin 375 cal. 375Win. (X4849)....................... 0 $400.00 9d 5h +
marlin model 375 pre safety 375 win lever action 0 $700.00 12d 7h +

See the ONE with actual bids... there's your market driven price guide. And as for it's condition, see for yourself! No, it's not mine, but looks like a good'un!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

BlaineG wrote:I haven't gone in years. A: No concealed carry "for insurance reasons" B: Used going for more than new pricing.
+1
NRA Life Member