.30-30 Powerpoint vs. Nosler Partition

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
kmittleman
Levergunner 2.0

.30-30 Powerpoint vs. Nosler Partition

Post by kmittleman »

Hey everyone,

My father and I are going pig hunting in TX next month and I'm wondering about loads. Most likely the pigs will be 100lbs or under and I want to use my .30-30. Which of the above 170gr loads would be better? I'll be reloading for either one.

-Kevin
"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he doesn't exist." - C.S. Lewis
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Re: .30-30 Powerpoint vs. Nosler Partition

Post by pharmseller »

Kevin,
Are you going to shoot the Partitions one at a time?
I use 180 gr. Partitions in my .30-06 and they're pointy. Do they make a round nose Partition?
A 100 lb pig isn't armor plated, so Powerpoints would kill just as effectively, especially at .30-30 velocities. Plus they're cheaper.

P
Last edited by pharmseller on Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

The powerpoint will work fine for hogs. But if you already have the Partitions and want to use them they will also work very well.
Ricky

DWWC
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

If you haven't already bought them, don't waste your money on the Partitions. They aren't needed in the 30-30 for 100 lb. pigs.
NRA Life Member
win38-55
Levergunner 2.0

Post by win38-55 »

I would use Remy Core Locs myself for a 100 pound pig. 170 gr Should drop em like the Hammer of Thor. :D
Andrew: He is a real gun freak with way too many guns to shoot or clean.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I can't say for anyone else, but I do know that RKrodle has shot several hogs, and I would go with his advice. I have not used a .30-30 on hogs, but I have used a hollow point .44 Mag out of a pistol to kill them, so a .30-30 should do even better. I have used the .30-30 with Remington Core-Lokt bullets on deer, and they work well. 100 pound hogs are not much tougher than deer, at least from my experience.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

pharmseller wrote:I use 180 gr. Partitions in my .30-06 and they're pointy. Do they make a round nose Partition?
Yes, 170-gr RN. Good bullets if you got the $$$.

RSY
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I won't tell you what to do nor will I say you must have one bullet over the other. I will give you a different perspective. The Powerpoint or Partition is going to kill whatever it hits if it gets to the vitals and causes disruption and malfunction. I understand you are focusing on hogs around 100 pounds. I have seen clients disappointed way too many times (and I've been there myself) because they 1) had the wrong equipment 2) did not practice w/ their equipment 3) waited for a perfect scenario 4) could not take advantage of what was offered, and 5) were not prepared for the unexpected. Your 30-30 that you've practiced with takes care of the first two as far as the rifle. For #3, what if your hogs never really give you that perfect slightly quartering away shot? What if the range is more or less than you really wanted to shoot? In #4, what if your hunt is coming to an end and you've got a last minute hard quartering to shot or a Texas heart shot? What if you are not 100% sure of your sight picture due to low light? Plenty of folks will chime in that you shouldn't take these shot but you know what, a lot of people are going to try these shot under the circumstances and I'm not going to get into that discussion. Lastly, in #5 what if a huge hog shows up? What if it is the only one? What if you have two hogs in each others shadow and it is okay to shoot more than one hog? What if something else that you can shoot shows up? (I know you said Texas, so it would be most likely a deer or exotic which you may or may not be allowed to shoot - but for reference I was in Georgia hunting hogs and came upon a black bear that was not happy that I disturbed his picnic). What if your rifle becomes a defensive arm, like a big hog tries to get you? Just this year I had a little hog that was shot back too far drag his rear towards me clicking his teeth at a few feet away. I also unknowingly stepped on a hog nest, and the big sow ran out and crashed into my knees and ripped my pants. So the question becomes which bullet is least likely to leave you disappointed? If you could handle #1-5 you would likely be satisfied and content. My opinion is that the 170 grain Nosler Partition RN gives you a distinct amount of advantage under less than ideal circumstances. I've tested them quite a bit and they are top notch in the 30-30, and under some criteria I'd say they're even a little hard for small whitetail deer. However, with hogs the NP will expand and retain weight and they have proven to stay on course inside the animal and most likely penetrate more than the Powerpoint. A bullet and ammo manufacturer once told me "A bullet's gonna do what a bullet's gonna do". This is very true and there could be an occassion where the Powerpoint ends up doing better than the Partition when you use it and in your set of circumstances. The Nosler partition is available for $30 per 50, while the Powerpoint is available for $30 per 100. I don't see the Powerpoint available in quantities less than 100. So either way you're going to spend at least $30. If you want to compare equal quantities you are going to pay $30 more for 50 more Partitions to get a 100 count of cartridges. Is your hunt, success and safety worth $30? Again, the Powerpoint can easily kill a 100 pound hog nearly every time but do you want to bet on it when you encounter #1-5? I have killed right at 200 hogs now, nearly 100 in the last 5 years. When I am serious about my hog hunt I am loaded with "premium" bullets. In fact, I've been shooting cup and core bullets in my 300 Savage autoloader and I am not satisfied so I am loading the 170 grain Nosler Partition RN to 2400 fps in that cartridge. Best of luck on your hunt!
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

Never shot a hog (except with .22 for butchering) but hard to argue with 86er's logic.
That is the exact sequence of logic I use for determining what I am going to use whether it be a rifle or a shotgun.
Where are these NP 30/30 cartridges and who makes them? And why isn't there a 32 Special NP??
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

For my personal experience, the only time a 170gr Power-Point has failed to do the job on a hog or any other animal, it was not the bullet's fault.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Federal loads the Nosler Partition in 30-30 as does Grizzly Cartridge. The bullets are also available for reloading, and Midway has them as does Cabelas.
Professional Hunter

SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
DWWC - Member
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

86er wrote:In #4, what if your hunt is coming to an end and you've got a last minute hard quartering to shot or a Texas heart shot?
Joe, since you are now a fellow Texan, I must inform you that the correct terminology for our use is "California Brain Shot." FYI. :wink:

Another good option in this arena: For about the same price as the Partition, Barnes sells a 150-gr. TSX made specifically for La Treinta-Treinta. I have no personal experience with these projectiles, but I have little doubt they'd be spectacular on feral hogs.

Best,
Scott
brno602
Levergunner 2.0

Post by brno602 »

Partiton is the way to go!, but I just like all Nozler PT bullets never had one let me down. I have Shot on average 3 Deer a year for the last 28 years plus the Elk and Moose and Black Bear I have taken and the NP is great Bullet, but I also Shoot Sierra and Speer and RemCL and Hornady cup and Core bulllets and the old C.I.L kksp. The last one is close to the NP. I have only lost one deer in my life and I felt so bad about it and that was with the then new Hornady plastic tip bullet I have had nothing but trouble with that one so wrote it off after 4 Deer shot( one Deer fluke but four?) with it all with the .280 Rem 150gr going at a measured 2820fps, Yuk will never use that Bullet again.
Now 86 your Vel seems low to me for a .300 Savage I push a 165 gr BT Or Speer for Deer or a 165grNp For Moose or Elk at 2600fps out of both my 99s with 748
But I do not know how strong or what type of loads your .300 can take. The big old 06 in my gun can only go 2760fps with a 165 and my .308 bolt gun will best it 2800+ with bullets up to 180 grs.
But my 06 Will shoot 180gr to 2700 something I can't do with my 08 or .300s go figure guns are funny things
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I would choose 170 grain PP or CL or sure, the partition if you want to spend the money.

Joe, I thought you had partitions give less than spectacular results.... but maybe that wasn't with a 30-30? I seem to recall you recanting a hunt where they opened up too much and didn't penetrate like you expected... what am I thinking of?
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

RSY wrote:
86er wrote:In #4, what if your hunt is coming to an end and you've got a last minute hard quartering to shot or a Texas heart shot?
Joe, since you are now a fellow Texan, I must inform you that the correct terminology for our use is "California Brain Shot." FYI. :wink:

Best,
Scott
Perfect, and I'm from the California Republic with a State of Jefferson state of mind!! :mrgreen:
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

RKrodle wrote:The powerpoint will work fine for hogs. But if you already have the Partitions and want to use them they will also work very well.
Can't say about anything else, but PowerPoints are deadly on anyone with an IQ over 80...

(next slide please...)
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

Old Ironsights wrote:
RKrodle wrote:The powerpoint will work fine for hogs. But if you already have the Partitions and want to use them they will also work very well.
Can't say about anything else, but PowerPoints are deadly on anyone with an IQ over 80...

(next slide please...)
:mrgreen:

Well, they can also be "loaded down" for such applications.

:D
kaferhaus
Levergunner

Post by kaferhaus »

A partition at 30-30 velocities doesn't always expand properly. I've used them and even at "short" range they just don't mushroom very well.

The Corelokt, and Hornady interbonds mushroom quickly at 30-30 velocities and give plenty of penetration. I've killed several 250-300lbs boars with them out to 100yrds with excellent results.

Also a 100lb hog is very easy to kill.... I've cleanly killed hogs that size with a 223 plenty of times.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Nosler states the minimum velocity for reliable expansion on their 170 gr Partition is 1800 fps. This is the problem I previously referred to and what is usually noted by others. The factory Federal load is cited at 2200 fps. They do not state the barrel length, but with a 20" bbl I've gotten 2026 with them. That equates to a bit under 1900 fps at 100 yards. If you have a shorter barrel or just don't get the full velocity listed for a particular load it may be less. This is right on the edge of proper bullet performance. If you shoot Grizzly Cartridge loading of the NP, or you load it yourself with care, the bullet will be doing 2350 fps from a 20" barrel. Now you have over 2000 fps at 100 yds and still over 1950 fps at 125 yds. This bullet shines at an impact velocity of 2000 fps or more. Load it to 2400 fps in a 300 Savage or 2500 fps in a 308 Win or M.E. and it really stands out with wide, consistent expansion and deep penetration. This thread is about 30 WCF. Load it so the impact velocity is below 2000 fps and the expansion becomes inconsistent and incomplete, especially in soft tissue like a lung shot deer or small hog. If you're going to go to the trouble of loading the NP, take the time to figure out your ballistics. If your shots are 50 yds or less, a MV of 2150 fps will do fine. Longer ranges and you need to get it going 2300, more if you can. Shoulder shots or quartering shots where the bullet will encounter hard resistance will help it perform as it should also.
Professional Hunter

SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
DWWC - Member