OT Patched ball.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

OT Patched ball.

Post by Nath »

After last weekends late rooster I took with the musketoon I decided I had enough of the unreliable first shot. Even if the first load went with the second cap it would be "phutty".
So one evening I drilled the nipple out to.040" just how I have to do all my M/Lers running on Pyrodex.

The weather was heavy rain all Friday night and Saturday morning, the place was soaking! I got some chores done around home part of which involved repairing our daughters car in the rain :roll:

All chores done, I decided to give the musketoon another try. It now has a nice 2lb+ trigger and a more open nipple.

As the day got to noon the rain eased and the wind dropped, the temp raised some which was a relief from the cold easterly of the morning.
I only saw two rabbits which saddens me! The second one I stalked in close but had lost sight of him! A snapping twig under my boot made him move to his hole but he stood looking at me giving just enough time to slowly raise and cock the hammer.

Aiming for the neck I squose the trigger and was rewarded with a full on complete discharge. At last I may now have a reliable first shot, time will tell! The large cloud of smoke cleared to reveal a rabbit down :D

Ok only 25yds but a good hunt, this gun can do alot, rabbit to deer with a .562 ball and 90grn equiv, sweet.

I did not reload, the dog was happy, I was happy so we turned for home to spend some time with my wife. Besides I'm still fighting the effects of that flue!

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Rifleman336
Levergunner 2.0

Re: OT Patched ball.

Post by Rifleman336 »

Nath,

Your making me sick again in to finding a Enfield Muskatoon. That's one I've wanted far a while now.

Whose copy is that???

And good hunting on the rabbit.

Rifleman 336
Never bite off more than you can chew.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Rifleman336 wrote:Nath,

Your making me sick again in to finding a Enfield Muskatoon. That's one I've wanted far a while now.

Whose copy is that???

And good hunting on the rabbit.

Rifleman 336

It's a Parker Hale made one, when they still made everything in Birmingham, England. Later ones just had the barrel made in Birmingham and later still the whole gun was made in Italy.

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Very good Nath! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: My weekend is going to be full of fixing fences, casting and reloading... Have been putting off casting for about 6 months... and reloading... well, it's been longer!

Glad to see someone is getting out and shooting! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Fabulous, now that is the way to go. Thought I would like conicals with my New Englander but ended up loving the patched ball. Great to see some hunting done with one.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

"squose" ??

Must be a bit of English Grammar I have forgotten... :? :wink:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Got to love round balls. :D That is all I use in my TC Renegade.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Old Ironsights wrote:"squose" ??
:lol: High English past tense of "squeeze"! :lol: Squeezed is so gauche! :P :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Nath,

It's amazing how one little thing like the ID of the flash hole will make such a big difference in the way a rifle will fire. Glad you got it figured out.

Just a question: what do you call those smooth barked green trees in line with the fence? They look familiar but I can't place them.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Old Ironsights wrote:"squose" ??

My wife and daughter imform me I am wrong! There is in fact no such word! :roll:

Considering it does not exist it aint' half used alot around these parts! :lol:
J Miller wrote:Nath,

It's amazing how one little thing like the ID of the flash hole will make such a big difference in the way a rifle will fire. Glad you got it figured out.

Just a question: what do you call those smooth barked green trees in line with the fence? They look familiar but I can't place them.

Joe
Joe, they are oaks. Not sure which oaks, I have not studied them!
Must do!

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I like "squoze", myself... :lol:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Nath, the reason your wife and daughter tell you that there is no such word is because it is a highly technical term not in use by those outside certain disciplines. It is perfectly acceptable and even cherished by those with a high enough level of education to appreciate it's meaning.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well, unbeknowns to me, squose is apparently enough of a word to have lots of references. http://www.google.com/search?aq=2&oq=sq ... definition Nath you should be open to apologies and favors to you to make up for the lack of trust in your intellectual prowess and deep resevoir of knowledge. :D
Last edited by Old Savage on Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Rusty wrote:Nath, the reason your wife and daughter tell you that there is no such work is because it is a highly technical term not in use by those outside certain disciplines. It is perfectly acceptable and even cherished by those with a high enough level of education to appreciate it's meaning.

So true Rusty, in engineering we use many an unlisted indiscript discription.

The thingy, wotsit, widget, doobery are to name just a few.

Now to check that link,,,,, hmmm maybe I should do it first!

N :lol:
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Old Savage wrote:Well, unbeknowns to me, squose is apparently enough of a word to have lots of references. http://www.google.com/search?aq=2&oq=sq ... definition Nath you should be open to apologies and favors to you make up for the lack of trust in your intellectual prowess and deep resevoir of knowledge. :D

Woo hoo (oh no thats another :roll: ), thanks OS :D

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
HEAD0001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by HEAD0001 »

Kind of looks like some sort of a Beech tree to me?? Tom.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

HEAD0001 wrote:Kind of looks like some sort of a Beech tree to me?? Tom.
No Sir, to many squirls have fallen out of them with acorns in their mouths over the years.

N. :)
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Jeff H
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jeff H »

That is one nice musketoon!
Great work with it.
I am a patched RB fan myself and have always admired that particular firearm as being very practical and versatile.

EDIT:
Hey, Nath, I don't know if they make the thread sizes you need or if you can get them there, but Pyrodex has offered me the same resistance in all but CVA's older MLs (from 25 years ago), and the one thing that always worked was to store the original nipple somewhere and use Uncle Mike's Hot Shot nipples. They are also stainless and clean up easily. not very authentic, but the nipples are hardly noticed anyway.
Last edited by Jeff H on Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Old Savage wrote:Well, unbeknowns to me, squose is apparently enough of a word to have lots of references. http://www.google.com/search?aq=2&oq=sq ... definition Nath you should be open to apologies and favors to you to make up for the lack of trust in your intellectual prowess and deep resevoir of knowledge. :D
Nah, I just thought it might be regional... like Welsh. :twisted:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Sounds like you've found the problem and fixed it. Good on you, Nath. Shoot patched round ball in my TC Hawken.
Old Law Dawg
Stan in SC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Stan in SC »

I only shoot patched ball in my .54 T/C New Englander.The tip concerning hot shot nipples is right on.It is all I use and I have no misfires.
I really like the Musketoon.Good picture.

Stan in SC
The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45-70,it's almost a religion
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

I got a good first shot ignition today too and downed a squirl with home made shot in it today so yep it's fixed :)

Just prior to shooting the squirl I bumped into a small dark fox, it sat 40yds or so away and I had just loaded it with shot! If I had stuck to ball I may of got my first patched ball fox today :roll:

Oh well, still had a good time :)

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Nath wrote:I got a good first shot ignition today too and downed a squirl with home made shot in it today so yep it's fixed :)

Just prior to shooting the squirl I bumped into a small dark fox, it sat 40yds or so away and I had just loaded it with shot! If I had stuck to ball I may of got my first patched ball fox today :roll:

Oh well, still had a good time :)

N.
That's when you run a ball down on top of the shot. :) Buck and ball - or bird and ball - as the case may be. You'll get more recoil but it should work well as long as you get the ball on top of the shot with no airspace. With only 90 gr equivalent you should be well within what the weapon is capable of withstanding if it's in good condition.

Thanks for sharing your hunting adventures with us.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com