Lever Action Takedown Conversions

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
RVM45
Levergunner

Lever Action Takedown Conversions

Post by RVM45 »

Hello everyone. I didn't see an Introduction Thread--So I thought that I'd jump right in.

Who knows of a good Gunsmith that does takedown conversions--Well I'm stumped for words. "Cheap": "Affordable"; "Reasonable" are all subjective, and subject to interpretation.....

Lets say, for no more than about half the rifles price, new?

The only two that I've seen advertising this service both want over $1000--and that's okay, if thats what they want to charge, but I certainly can't afford it.....

.....RVM45 8) :shock: 8)
Stranded in The Twenty-First Century; Always a Citizen of The Twentieth Century.

UFOs Have to be Flying Saucers; I don't believe in Aeroplanes.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Lever Action Takedown Conversions

Post by pwl44m »

and a Hearty "Welcome" to Ya. Caint answer Ur Question. My suggestion- Just go buy one already made, lol. Seriously I don't know what U r working with as U didn't say but I would search and wait and wait some more for an original one.
For instance just yesterday I bought a Rossi Pump 22 (marked 22 S,L,and LR)- for 86er.I guess it is what is called a Gallery Gun and it is "Takedown".I bought it along with 3 Shotguns for a hundred bucks.
I know that's not what U wanted to Hear but alas Welcome and come back Much.
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Doug Turnbull www.turnbullrestorations.com charges $800 for a centerfire conversion to take down. The quality of the work and the overall increase in value of the firearm (in some cases) is worth the price.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

If you must convert something your already own, you may also try Wild West Guns (Marlin TD conversions) or Wind River Rifle (Winchester TD conversions).

As stated earlier, you will probably be better served buying an original or repro (Miroku) TD for under $1k and you'll still be ahead.

As a side note, I have had and still have several takedowns and I love them.
Chad
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Depends entirely on how much you want it.

$800-$1000 isn't bad at all once you consider how much work is actually involved.

IMO if you are a "frequent flyer" and carry your gun(s) on planes a bunch, I can't think of a better/more prudent purchase - along with a TSA/Gorilla proof take-down gun case, which will ALSO set you back a couple of bills.

If you just want it for the "cool" factor, which I can understand, the "is it worth it" question takes on a whole different timbre.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!