OT - How Do I keep the Moose out Of The Yard??

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
southfork
Levergunner 2.0

OT - How Do I keep the Moose out Of The Yard??

Post by southfork »

Every day for the past week I've had to yell and clap at the cow/calf pair of Moose that have taken up residence on our lawn. They would only reluctantly move off into the trees across from our yard if i yelled loud enough and waved my arms. This evening, yelling and clapping didn't budge them much. I even got my son's Daisy bb gun from his closet and peppered them a little but they just moved around a little in the yard while calmly munching on the shrubs and trees. I'ts time to take more drastic measures, but I'm afraid that if I shoot a .410 in the air to try to scare them off or something like that, the neighbors will complain to the cops. How do I get rid of these pests?
m.wun
Levergunner 3.0

Re: OT - How Do I keep the Moose out Of The Yard??

Post by m.wun »

How about throwing a strip of firecrackers out there.Oh ya, light them before you
throw em.Water balloons might scare them off.Some orchard or farm supplies have this
little gun that launches firecrackers about 50'(birds in orchard).Total harasment should
learn them....
What in the wild world of sports is going on here
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I agree with the firecrackers part.

I wouldn't shoot anything bigger than a chipmunk with a "BB" gun - even something with tough hide could have a BB penetrate from close range, and in the wrong place it could be a bad injury or start a bad infection.

I had a patient where a 25-30 yard hit from a BB gun went through the skin right over a moderately-large vein in his arm, and it wound up in his heart... :shock:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I wonder if something along the lines of one of those sonic dog/pest repeller devices would work?

Or maybe a recording of predator sounds... ?

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
m.wun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by m.wun »

Piccolo pete's are pretty annoying also...
What in the wild world of sports is going on here
mouthpiece
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mouthpiece »

Pay off Rocky.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

mouthpiece wrote:Pay off Rocky.
?
OH...! :roll: :lol: Took me a minute... :lol: 8) :lol:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

You need shell crackers. They are a 12 gauge shotgun shell that shoots an M-80 sized firecracker about 40 yards before exploding. The sound it makes when you pull the trigger is a hardly noticable hollow sounding poof, but when the firecracker explodes, it is LOUD! I never tore one apart to see how much powder is in them, but you had to clean the barrel after shooting them due to the junk it left in the barrel. I used them to spook elk out of tree plantations years ago.
RustyJr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by RustyJr »

Not sure if it would work, there is a trick I heard about that is used to keep black bears out of an area. Here in Florida it is illegal to hunt/shoot black bear but in the northern part of the state they are in abundance and can rwreck havoc on deer feeders and food plots. An older gentleman that I talked to said that if you suspended vinegar filled water balloon from a tree and smeared peanut butter on it that the bear would come along and pop the balloon while attempting to get the peanut butter. He said that the bear woud run up a tree and stay there for about 30 minutes or so. It would then leave the area for several weeks. Not sure if there is something that moose like that could be applied in the same manner or if it would even work but it might be worth a try.

RustyJr
Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Probably best call the local game warden and have him come take care of the problem. Might save you having to explain to a judge what the problem was.
wavetrain75
Levergunner 1.0

Post by wavetrain75 »

My Dad borrowed one of my paintball guns to keep the deer out of his garden. Although a moose may not even notice if you shoot it with a paintball.
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

Put a meat grinder on the porch.
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

If gunfire is likely to attract the attention of the neighbors, invest in a bit of archery gear and put meat in the freezer.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

gundownunder wrote:If gunfire is likely to attract the attention of the neighbors, invest in a bit of archery gear and put meat in the freezer.
:D
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

44mag casing with just a primer and wax bullet.
...and I don't think he even knows it...Walks around with a half-assed grin...If he feels fear, he don't show it. Just rides into hell and back again.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Mooses don't like opera. Especially that Eyetalian stuff. Play some loud and eventually they'll leave.

Second thought; a Jack Russel Terrier, nasty, arrogant, !*#$) little dogs...

3/01/10- My apologies to any J.R. Terriers out there about my discription of the small dogs. They are popular "boat dogs" for liveabords in So. CA. But for me waaaaaay too much energy! (Kinda like a speed freak after 18 cups of coffee). The ones I have known are truely loyal, protective, hyper dogs (two live across the street from me now) that posess a 137 db yap. Good "rat" dogs...
Last edited by mikld on Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

mikld wrote:Mooses don't like opera. Especially that Eyetalian stuff. Play some loud and eventually they'll leave.

Second thought; a Jack Russel Terrier, nasty, arrogant, !*#$) little dogs...
My Jack Russell has something to say about that remark. :D

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

gundownunder wrote:If gunfire is likely to attract the attention of the neighbors, invest in a bit of archery gear and put meat in the freezer.

Beat me to it :lol:

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Don McDowell wrote:Probably best call the local game warden and have him come take care of the problem. Might save you having to explain to a judge what the problem was.
+ a whole bunch.

When I lived in Anchorage a moose stomped a car "to death" because the driver wanted to get into her garage and decided to honk the horn to "scare it off".

Likewise, some poor old guy REALLY got stomped to death on the University of Alaska Anchorage grounds because momma moose was PO'd at the college kids for waving their arms and throwing snowballs. The old guy wasn't fast/stable enough to run away when momma decided enough was enough.

Since you are in town/have witnesses, get the Fishy Game guys.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

My wife just said this thread is no good without pics of the mooses in the yard.

2ndovc,
That is a cute 'lil puppie.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

Moose don't like dogs.

In the Scandinavian countries, they actually hunt moose
with dogs.

Borrow a large dog, maybe?

-Stretch
southfork
Levergunner 2.0

Post by southfork »

I'll see if I can get a pic and post it. Now I'm a little worried about getting stomped on, though, if I get in their face.
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

Be careful around an animal the size of a moose. Your not even a speed bump for them. If you have a trapping supply store in your area maybe some coyote or wolf urine might make them want to go elsewhere.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Trap a couple of wolves and release them in your back yard, they'll catch on. The Moose will be gone forthwith.
Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Birdman »

Hide them in your freezer.
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

How good are you with a slingshot?
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
southfork
Levergunner 2.0

Post by southfork »

Well, tonight I went to the back door and took some pictures of them eating on the trees in the back yard. Then I took a .22 rifle and fired it into the ground by my feet. They hardly paid any attention. Three whitetail deer got up out of there beds and trotted off though. Maybe i do need to get a dog again. My last dog was a black lab, and he was scared of the roaming outdoor animals. When "Duke" died, I decided to replace him with an indoor kitty-cat, so I wouldn't have lug around 40 Lb bags of dog food anymore.

Now if i can only figure out how to post the pics of the Mooses...
MVC-005S.JPG
MVC-004S.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

A bow with blunts.

Maybe they'd get tired of you poppin 'em in the hind-quarters while they're eatin'.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

If you do get a dog, just be careful, not only do moose not like dogs, they will kill them if given a chance. They come into mushers dog yards once in a while and kill a bunch because they're chained up and can't gang up on them. I've heard they try to stake them out with dogs close enough they can cover each other if a moose come in, but not close enough to fight.

I think moose are more dangerous than bears. They do kill people once in a while. They strike out with their front feet. One tried to get my dogs out in the mountains once while I was setting up camp by my truck, and I couldnt find a gun handy to make noise to scare it off. THAT will never ever happen again. Guns on top of the pile, always. Never ever bury them!
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I'd try fish and game first. If no relief there I'd get a couple big cans of bear size OC spray and let'em have a snort every time they come into my yard. I think a couple two or three times of that and they'd get the point. And I don't think anyone's going to get heart burn over that. Just be careful of the prevailing wind and the overspray. Neighbors might not like a coughing fit. :D
Old Law Dawg
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

southfork wrote:Well, tonight I went to the back door and took some pictures of them eating on the trees in the back yard. Then I took a .22 rifle and fired it into the ground by my feet. They hardly paid any attention. Three whitetail deer got up out of there beds and trotted off though. Maybe i do need to get a dog again. My last dog was a black lab, and he was scared of the roaming outdoor animals. When "Duke" died, I decided to replace him with an indoor kitty-cat, so I wouldn't have lug around 40 Lb bags of dog food anymore.

Now if i can only figure out how to post the pics of the Mooses...
MVC-005S.JPG
MVC-004S.JPG
Now there's something you just don't see in Ohio. :wink:
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
Remington40x
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Remington40x »

Get a wolf pack. They'll be gone, one way or another, in short order.

Neighbors might object, but the problem will be solved.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Remington40x wrote:Get a wolf pack. They'll be gone, one way or another, in short order.

Neighbors might object, but the problem will be solved.
Who cares what the neighbors think? Feds sure as heck don't...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Call the possum cops that what they get paid for and if the moose is liking the shrubs in your yard sprinkle some tabasco sauce on them. It takes well trained stockdogs to push moose and it better be a life or death situation cause you might loose them. danny
EndGameAK
Levergunner

Post by EndGameAK »

I have had a dog yard of 30 - 70 dogs for over 30 years. And the moose around here are used to sled dogs on chains ... they know they're no threat. But, sled dogs in a team, they don't like. I've had more than a few moose go through my team on their way to leaving, trying to stomp the dogs, and only had one dog injured, a minor tear on her shoulder, that promptly was sewn and healed. Generally, when a moose is going thru my team, it been from the front of the team back. All I can try to do is get out of the way. I throw my sled on it's side and roll out of the way. Believe me, when you're on the ground looking up at the moose thundering by, they are huge and intimidating. Gives you a tingle. The bad ones are those that won't give up the trail, get in the dog team and stay to fight the dogs. Only happened to me once. In Winter, I carry a S&W M 396 Mtn Lite stoked with Buffalo Bore's "heavy 44 Special" loads ... 255 gr hardcast at 975 fps. I executed the miscreant and gutted him ... called Ak Dept of Fish and Game to come recover the meat.

The moose that come into my yard are welcome to clean out my garden and anything else they want ... as long as they wait until the gardening is done. My dogs enjoy the excitement. Here, only cow and calves of various ages show up; no bulls. And firing off guns has no effect on them, although cracker shells might. I prefer to let them be.

I've never seen or heard of moose killing dogs on chains. Now wolves ... that's another matter.
southfork
Levergunner 2.0

Post by southfork »

Those two moose have been homesteading in my yard so long now that I'm wondering if I need to list them under my homeowner's liability insurance policy in case they get out in the road and get hit by a passing car. Cars are forever stopping on the road in front of my house to scope them out or take pictures. Some cars even honk at them as they hurry them along down the road. Geez!

BTW, I saw some huge 6-point bull elk grazing in a stubble field just off the road about 5 miles away today. Fish and Game says there are hundreds of elk grazing in the immediate area due to the long winter and heavy snow this year. I was surprized to see that the bull elk hadn't dropped their racks yet.
mouthpiece
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mouthpiece »

Pretty feeble, but complain to local cops about unneccessary use of the motor horn. Might prompt them to ask fish police to do something for you about mooses (meese?).
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

This might sound crazy but how about pepper spray? Could some kind of remote control gizmo be rigged up to spray 'em while your're hiding in the house?
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
southfork
Levergunner 2.0

Post by southfork »

Dare not get close enough for pepper spray...
The neighbor lady just came pounding on our front door to warn us that she had tried to shoo the moose out of her yard and was attacked and knocked down by the aggressive mama moose. She said she was 60 feet away from it when it attacked her. Their little dogs were also attacked, but not killed apparently. She said she & her husband called the Fish & Game and were given some shotgun shells with rubber pellets to try to frighten the animals away, but all they (the moose) did was walk back over to our yard. Guess I'll have to see if the F&G will bring me some of those shot shells!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Birdman wrote:Hide them in your freezer.
:lol:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Retro
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Retro »

Eat biltong and Marmite, and watch rugby and cricket on television.

That's what the people around here do and we never get a moose in the yard.

(Hey, it's a moose thread, it has to degenerate at some stage :-)
gordylew
Levergunner 1.0

Post by gordylew »

Easy. Invite me hunting in your yard. I can assure you there won't be a moose, elk, deer or bear within 10 miles of your house. Now squirrels and small noisy birds will be coming out of the wood work.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

southfork wrote:Dare not get close enough for pepper spray...
The neighbor lady just came pounding on our front door to warn us that she had tried to shoo the moose out of her yard and was attacked and knocked down by the aggressive mama moose. She said she was 60 feet away from it when it attacked her. Their little dogs were also attacked, but not killed apparently. She said she & her husband called the Fish & Game and were given some shotgun shells with rubber pellets to try to frighten the animals away, but all they (the moose) did was walk back over to our yard. Guess I'll have to see if the F&G will bring me some of those shot shells!
I think you'd be surprised with the OC spray made for bears. They're huge and are pressurized to shoot quite a shot. If it were me I'd at least try it. It's harmless and shouldn't get you into trouble with anyone. Short of your neighbor that catches the overspray. :D
Old Law Dawg
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

Get some of those F&G rubber pellets loads, carefully open the crimp and replace with 00 buck. When they fall say "must of had a heart attack " When food is scarce and they don't have any fear, they can be a pest.
In my area when they are being a pest/danger, our game cops will tranquilizer dart them and move them to a more remote area. both for their safety and the humans around them. A little loud and persistant complaining (mention law suits usually help) should help. Otherwise SSS
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

J Miller wrote:My wife just said this thread is no good without pics of the mooses in the yard.....
They even show up in the middle of Massachusetts

Jack