Way OT HK P7 Pistol

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Barcelona Rick
Levergunner 3.0

Way OT HK P7 Pistol

Post by Barcelona Rick »

I have been looking at a used HK P7 pistol.....recent trade in from a European Police Agency. They appear to be of very high quality. Does anyone here have an opinion pro or con about these ? Does it take much getting use to squeezing the cocking grip ?? I would appreciate any input...

Thank y'all....

rick
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Way OT HK P7 Pistol

Post by olyinaz »

I looked at them hard back in the day when they were new and all the rage but I just could not get used to the squeeze grip. And I wasn't "new stuff" averse at all, actually had a Steyer GB at the time. So no, just me talkin', but I would not own one despite their clearly high quality build.

Let's face it, the pistol was designed to be carried for years and shot only occasionally by European police. I've got two ex-Euro police guns and they're holster worn and mechanically like new. In other words, it's not a gun for someone who likes to shoot a lot and was never designed for that. (Again, just my 2¢ worth.) And like my old GB, due to the gases in the action I'm told that they get hotter'n heck when you shoot more than a couple mags (my GB actually scalded me once after a rapid fire mag dump) and how is that fun? It's not.

Folks that have 'em will defend them like mad! It's a very polarizing gun, or it certainly was so back in the day.

Cheers,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
wavetrain75
Levergunner 1.0

Post by wavetrain75 »

I'm sure you'll hate it. Send it to me for proper disposal.
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

I use to run with a guy that had one. I shot it several times at the range and liked it. The amount of force needed to maintain the squeeze is very little compared to the amount needed to squeeze it. I don't know if I would want one for combat use but for fun it's a neat pistol.
Ricky

DWWC
Cliff
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Cliff »

These are great pistols and most shoot very well and are quite accurate. I have one for more than a few years. Mine is the HK-P7M8, which was made for the american market with the magazine release behind the trigger where it is supposed to be. One thing I will warn anyone of is DON'T TAKE THE PLASTIC GRIPS OFF IF AT ALL POSSIBLE. A lot of springs are held in place by the grips and can be a real pain to reinstall. The squeeze starts out hard, then when all the way back doesn't take much to hold it in position. But the cocking lever also can be used to release the slide when reloading, insert loaded magazine, squeeze the grip and the slide will go forward, keep you fingers off the tgrigger, you can fire these by holding the trigger back then squeezing the grip thingy, not very light trigger but it does work as it was intended. My only complaint it is a noisy pistol if you draw it from cover and squeeze the cocking lever, it will click not too loudly but when you release the cocking lever it make a resounding clacking sound. Kind of hard to be unnoticed when you do this. The gas from firing holds the slide shut until the bullet leaves the barrel and it does transfer some heat to the area of the trigger, but can be learned never had a heat problem. It will mark up your brass on some models. Great over engineered pistols, but nice carry piece with good holster. Very good shooting trigger aids in the accuracy department and it seems if you are shooting hot loads it helps holding slide shut until pressures drop, might be a good feature. I believe New Jersey State Police adopted them then wanted a higher magazine capacity so they came out with the HK-P7M13 which was different holding 13 rounds. All in all not a bad gun but you need to do some serious familarization with one to be on top of using one. I will be quiet now and go away. ATB
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

The US Park Police still carry them as a duty weapon. FWIW - they put at least 300 rounds per year through the gun for qualifications. Most of them are 10 years old, so that's a pretty good round count and that agency has nothing bad to say about the pistol. I wish they made it in 45 ACP or 40 S&W.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
44/40
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 44/40 »

I took some advanced training (defensive pistol) some years ago with John Farnum. One of the other students had a P7 and did quite well with it. Several of us shot it and found it very easy to use quickly and accurately. However, Farnum made what I think is a very valid observation :
If you're going to use one as your carry gun, do not switch on and off between other types. The P7 has a unique manual of arms very different from most others, and switching between it and other (more conventional) types of autos, could be a recipe for confusion when you least need it. Seemed like good advice at the time, and still does.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Way back when, I wanted my wife to get interested in shooting, and since she'd survived her first shooting experience by shooting a Super Blackhawk (I know, not the ideal first gun to shoot, but it was the only one available the day she asked "can I shoot...?"), I took her to a gun show after pay-day, and said "buy whatever handgun you want, dear", thinking she'd pick a DA .38 Special or .380 ACP. I think that day the HK-P7 was the most expensive handgun at the whole show, so of course her 'shopping gene' kicked in and like radar, she found THAT one.

Of course, I then HAD to get it - it was the only honorable thing to do. :roll:

We've shot it enough to see we like it, and it is flawless in function with pot-luck mixed ammunition. Cases are 'marked' but reloadable, because the chamber is very slightly fluted like other HK's.

I agree it wouldn't be my 'carry' preference unless I really wanted 9mm vs. .45 ACP, and I didn't alternate with any other one due to the different 'manual of arms' thing.

If you just like guns, and want a good and unique shooter, you'll probably like it.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Barcelona Rick
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Barcelona Rick »

Appreciate the replies........well little brother (the only family member with big $$$$) just happened to mention a Springfield Armory 1911A1 Micro Compact he had for sale....carried a 1911A1 in the USN so got a pistol I already know, more power for about 50% of the cost.....life is good....

rick