1894 chambered for .32-40

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

1894 chambered for .32-40

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Ran across a gent that claims he has a 1911 Winchester Model 1894 TD, Octagon barrel chambered for .32-40. Will take a look at it this weekend, any advice? Is the .32-40 any good? Any load suggestions?
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I had a 94 in 32-40 several years ago. Sold it when the prices really jumped up and was building my last house. Wish I hadn't, was a super accurate rifle. Very mild recoil.

Don't even want to think what a nice take down is worth :shock:
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
junkbug
Levergunner 2.0

Post by junkbug »

I can't claim to be an impartial source. I go nuts for takedowns. If it has a bore that looked like I could tolerate, I know I would be sorely tempted.

The 32-40 is an older black powder cartridge that shares the same basic case as the 30-30 and so on. I can't imagine you not being able to make reloads that are not very similar in power to the 30-30. I also believe it uses the same bullets as the Winchester 32 Special.

Lymann's Cast Bullet Handbook should have reloading data on it. If not, starting data for the 32 Special would be a place to work from; being careful of course with a rifle that is near 100 years old.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

The .32-40 is more tapered than the .30-30 and so has less capacity than that cartridge or the .32 Winchester Special.

Also, .32 WS bullets don't have the cannelure in the proper location for .32-40 seating. However, the .32-40 is about an ideal cast bullet cartridge and can do quite well with cast 170 gr. bullets going about 1700 fps.

Given a good bore and possible extras (look for them), that might be a great buy!
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

If you form your cases from 30/30 brass you can use Hornady 170 grain jacketed SP & use the cannelure. Real 32/40 cases are too long to get a proper oal with them. I think Speer makes a 170 grain bullet for it too
I wouldn't recomend useing 32 special data as, like Hobie just said, the 32/40 has less capacity & pressures would be high.
I believe my load is 23 grains of RL7 under the Hornady bullet for 1900 fps.
I'd not shoot too many jacketed bullets thru it tho. Theres alot of cast options that work well & are easier on the bore.
DavidS
Levergunner 1.0

Post by DavidS »

I have a 1894 rifle with a half round barrel and a full magazine tube which is an odd combination. It is in 32-40 and it is a very nice cast bullet shooter with mild recoil. It can be finiky until you find a good handload for it. My rifle is from 1903.
David S
CBinNH
Levergunner 2.0

Post by CBinNH »

Here is a link to one I sold recently. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... m=75238353
Not a takedown, but button mag & antique. Was a joy to shoot, but I was worried I would wear it out shooting it. (Also got a case of gun trade fever, I feel another case coming on too :roll: ) Chris
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Well, I truly appreciate the in-put guys!

CB, you would be shocked at what this gent want for the one I'm looking at. 'Course he isn't into guns, he is just one of my clients that happens to have acquired it through his family over the years and he never used it, plus his wife wants it out of the house. Told him I'd stop by and take a look at it, might be worth a couple of hundred in perfect shape. He said come over this weekend!
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

A short while back Joe Salter had two special order .32-40s, one with half oct bbl and one round barrel. Both had nickel steel barrels and I let 'em get away while hemming and hawing. :oops: