Question for KirkD 32wcf

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
the telegraphist
Levergunner 2.0

Question for KirkD 32wcf

Post by the telegraphist »

Gday Kirk, just a question on the 32wcf have you figured any loads using a lead hardcast 115gr roundnose flatpoint. The reason I ask is I went to my local gunshop today and picked up my 12g shottie I had on order. Whilst there the owner showed me a beautiful Winchester 92 in very good condition 1924 build with octagonal barrel and half mag cycled like a knife through butter, the bore would be an 8 or 9 out of 10, so I bought it on the spot. Had been looking for a 38WCF but this one showed up and temptation did the rest ha ha. Oh well the 38WCF can wait awhile I guess.

Have been absent for a couple of months due to our natural disasters in Queensland. You were as I followed working up loads for your mod 53 and wondered how you went.

Rgds
Bob
GUN CONTROL IS HITTING YOUR TARGET
Wind
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Question for KirkD 32wcf

Post by Wind »

Hey there telegraphist -- I'll pitch in a couple cents worth here as well if you don't mind! 4.5 to 5 grains of Unique under a 115 to 120 grain lead bullet plays pretty well. For a jacketed bullet the Speer 115 grain 327 Federal Magnum (.312") Gold Dot hollow points (#3988) work very well too. Here is a picture of my 1907 vintage Marlin takedown for your dining and dancing pleasure. It is a seriously fun cartridge. Buy lots of components as they tend to evaporate quickly!! Best regards. Wind
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

A lot of fellows on this forum are big fans of the 32-20, so I'm sure there will be quite a few load suggestions. The one that I have settled on as the most accurate in my particular rifle is:

9.0 grains of either IMR 4227 or 5744 under a 115 grain cast bullet sized to .312 for 1,149 fps.

That would be considered to be a bit of a light load but I find it works perfectly fine on Woodchucks and other varmints. The original black powder load used a pure lead bullet and had a muzzle velocity of 1,177 fps, and my load pretty much duplicates that. For the Model 92, however, Winchester introduced a HV load that sent a 115 grain bullet out the barrel at 1,635 fps. A lot of deer have been taken with that load.

Ken Waters has published a lot of loads for the 32-20. One higher velocity load is 9.5 grains of 2400 under a 117 grain cast bullet for 1,524 fps. He also suggests a load similar to Wind's, with 5.0 grains of Unique under a 117 grain cast bullet for 1,340 fps.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

It was Kirk's posts about the 32-20 several years ago that convinced Me to get My Marlin. using Lazercast 115grn flatpoint's over 10gr of 2400 I get just over 1700fps.using the same bullet I tried several different loads with 7625 from 800-1300fps. all seemed very accurate. I did kill two woodchucks with it. get ready for alot of Fun. like a centerfire .22 mag....on steroids. :) .
the telegraphist
Levergunner 2.0

Thanks your replies gents. Sure I am going to have alot of fun with this cartridge. Thanks for the pic Wind, thats a beauty, not too sure about the white stuff though!!! Dont see too much if any of that in Queensland.

The powders I was thinking of were 2400, Unique and our own equivalent powder to IMR4227 being AR2205. Got plenty to work on now.

Rgds
Bob
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Brian Pearce wrote an excellent article published in Handloader #252.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

32-20 is really popular with both the lever action rifle clubs and pistol caliber cowboy silhouette here in Oz.
I've just bought one myself and am going through the license process at this time.
Two very popular powders with both the Hawksbury, and Westcastings 115 gr rnfp would be Trailboss for light loads and 2205 for HV loads. I can't give you powder quantities, but the Trailboss load has no recoil and about 1000 - 1100 fps, and the 2205 load is denting 50 YD steel silhouettes every bit as well as my .357 with full grunt silhouette loads.
Once you find loads that your rifle likes you will probably discover what a lot of other lever action shooters have and that is the 32-20 is a very accurate rifle with plenty of grunt for such a small cartridge.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
the telegraphist
Levergunner 2.0

Thanks Hobie and GDU for your input, am looking forward very much to working with this cartridge. Will be a few weeks before the permit to aquire turns up, the mess thats happening in Queensland at present with the new weapons branch computer system that keeps crashing and losing data.

If I have as much fun with the 32wcf as I do with the 44wcf then it will all be worth it and more.
Nicknack
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Nicknack »

My 32 WCF loves lead and my pet load is 110 grain FP lead bullets with 4.5grains of Australian ADI AP70 this load is very accurate for my 92.
I have never had success with 2205 with the 32WCF as there were always remains of unburnt powder in the bore..
AP70 always burns fast and clean and you will find that Trailboss powder will give great results also.
Regard Dallas
Picks of my 32-20 and the target are on this old topic of mine
http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =1&t=27354
It's dead easy to die; it's the keeping on living that's hard - Douglas Mawson - Scientist and polar survivor