Original 1894 30WCF made in 1898..

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Aussie Chris
Levergunner 2.0

Original 1894 30WCF made in 1898..

Post by Aussie Chris »

Well it's alll down hill from here...I have stopped collecting the comemmoratives, have 10 of the jolly things already.
I have decided to spend a little bit more than I would have liked but think it would be worth buying some real Winchesters made back in the day.
So sounds like I will start to collect seriously now.

I had the pleasure of meeting one of Australia's biggest Winchester collectors and experts the other day. He has some extremely rare Winchester's and a nice
1894 in 30WCF that I can't stop thinking about. This rifle was made in 1898 and has the original blueing and wood. It's in nice shootable (not that i would) condition and the action still feels nice and crisp and locks up well. It is a standard sporting rifle with a 26'' Octagonal barrel and the 2 leaf sights for the rear sight.
The owner is a really nice genuine bloke and always has time for kids that are into these things. He is not trying to make money on it and would like to see it go to a good home for a young bloke just getting his foot in the collecting field. .

So yeah I am seriously thinking about it and will probably buy it. The price he gave seems quite reasonable.

I just bought Madis book and have a bit of reading to do :)

Sorry no pics but would appreciate your thoughts

Chris
Last edited by Aussie Chris on Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A man can never have too many WINCHESTERS...
Aussie Chris
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Original 1894 30WCF made in 1898..

Post by Aussie Chris »

The rifle is very similar to the top 94 in this pic
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Even tho the octagon bbls are much more prevalent, the round bbl was the standard rifle confoguration. So w/two special fearures: 2-leaf rear sight & oct bbl, I'd say $1600AUD is a fair price... IF the condition is as you describe. As you undoubtedly know, in the world of collecting, condition & rarity are only trumped by desire! :P :twisted: :mrgreen: :lol: :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Lust is more like it. I'm an oddball, when I get another .30 WCF I want a ROUND barrel rifle. :lol: Sounds a treat Chris. And why wouldn't you shoot it? Just take care of it afterwards.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

I have one, a 38-55 made in 1896. They are a safer investment than anything I know of.Go for it. :) .
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I'm with Hobie, I'll take a ROUND, especially the rapid taper pencil style, barrel any day over the octagon. Out of all my Winchesters only one has a full octagon barrel, and one is half octagon. :)
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Mike D. wrote:I'm with Hobie, I'll take a ROUND, especially the rapid taper pencil style, barrel any day over the octagon. Out of all my Winchesters only one has a full octagon barrel, and one is half octagon. :)
Well, for carrying on a hunt you fellows are sure right. But at the range shooting silhouettes, doesn't that old octagon hang there awful nice? And Chris, I'd have to vote for shooting that fine old babe. It's no longer "new in box" anyway. Buy it yesterday!
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Good going - nothing like an original pre-war 94!
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

gak wrote:Good going - nothing like an original pre-war 94!
that would be the spanish-american war. :wink:
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Aussie Chris
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Aussie Chris »

Thanks for the feedback guys. And yeah I will be buying it as Griff and Hobie pointed out ''in the world of collecting, condition & rarity are only trumped by desire!''

Sure is prewar at 1898!! I have not actually seen a 94 this old here in Australia yet, with my own eyes that is. Most Wincheters like this are kept tucked away in collections and I have never seen one at a gunshop here. I just can't say no to this one.

Still kicking myself for passing up a nice pre 64 '40s vintage from memory when I was 18, but back then all Winchesters were the same to me.
At 25 I think I know a little more about them but not as much as some of you blokes! Thats what is so good about this site, the knowledge and experience is fantastic!

I will let you know how I go, just getting the necessary paperwork together.

Chris
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

25 years old man I've had my car longer than that!!! :mrgreen: Just kidding you(not about the car though bought it in 1980) , it's always good to have another in the fold. Most young guys aren't into levers because they don't know who JW,RR,GA, and hoppy are, much less do these guys who formed my opinion of leverguns, mean anything to the younger guys. Glad to have you.
Quit hanging around a bunch of old frts and go buy the gun already.
Then send pics :lol:
Tom
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Looking forward to seeing it. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

What is the serial number range? The last true "antique" 1894 rolled out 31 December 1898 and was serial number 53941. Anything higher is post-1898 and not an "antique". :)
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
natedontgo
Levergunner 1.0

Post by natedontgo »

That sounds like an "Government"(U.S.)definition of antique..Doubt it means a lot in Australia... Nate
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

natedontgo wrote:That sounds like an "Government"(U.S.)definition of antique..Doubt it means a lot in Australia... Nate

It means nothing in OZ, but it does for true antique collector status. Many serial number lists are incorrect and list far higher numbers as pre-1899.
natedontgo
Levergunner 1.0

Post by natedontgo »

"Many serial # lists are incorrect".. I'll buy that.! I'm long a couple of 94's,Serial #s 25,xxx,and 25,xyz.. And have encountered "xspurts" who assert that those are First Year Rifles !!!!!!! others,looking to buy below market,put forth something on the order of, " Hxxx those are post 1900 guns"..Both round barrels ,by choice... Nate
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

natedontgo wrote:"Many serial # lists are incorrect".. I'll buy that.! I'm long a couple of 94's,Serial #s 25,xxx,and 25,xyz.. And have encountered "xspurts" who assert that those are First Year Rifles !!!!!!! others,looking to buy below market,put forth something on the order of, " Hxxx those are post 1900 guns"..Both round barrels ,by choice... Nate
No, Nate, those are both 1897 year guns. I am also all for the RB over the O. FYI, first year 1894s ended at approximately 1370. 1368 was shipped on 12/29/94.
Aussie Chris
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Aussie Chris »

Mike, the serial number is in the 114xxx range. Based on Madis' figures this was made in 1898. I have read that his figures could be out by approx 2 years? Where did your information come from if you don't mind me asking Mike? I would'nt mind doing some further research into all this. Regardless I think it's still a nice buy and will still be buying it.

From wikipedia:
Antique in Australia:

Single-shot or double-barrel muzzleloading firearms manufactured before January 1, 1901 are considered Antique Firearms in all States of Australia, and can be legally purchased, owned, (and in some states, used) without licenses.

Cartridge-loading firearms manufactured prior to January 1, 1901 may or may not be considered "antique", depending on the commercial availability of ammunition. For example, a Martini-Enfield rifle manufactured in 1896 would NOT be considered antique in any state of Australia, as it is chambered in .303 British, a calibre which is still commercially manufactured and readily available in Australia. Conversely, firearms manufactured after 1/1/1901 are not considered antiques, even if they are replicas of antique firearms (such as modern reproductions of black powder guns), or if ammunition is no longer commercially available (such as the Arisaka Type 38 Rifle)

Antique cap & ball revolvers require licensing in all states except Queensland and Victoria, where an individual may possess such a firearm without a license, so long as it is registered with the police.
Pop Watts
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pop Watts »

Hi Chris,

Looks like it would be a good old Gun.
Is it Gordon that has it for sale?
If you decide not to buy then let me know because I would be keen on getting it.
I have both a round and octagon barreled 1894 sporting rifle and still like the octagon best.
My old one is a 38-55 in 15000 serial number range.
Round barrel is a 32-40 in 160000 serial range. ( I bought that one from Gordon )
There is room in my rack for a 30WCF to fit between them, so please let me know if you decide not to buy.
If you pick it up then shoot it - I shoot all my old Winchesters.
Let us all know how you make out and don't forget to post pics.
Pop - Sydney
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

Aussie Chris wrote:Mike, the serial number is in the 114xxx range. Based on Madis' figures this was made in 1898.
a little reading on this subject. :wink:

http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=317678

http://www.winchestercollector.org/foru ... php?t=4001

http://www.winchestercollector.org/foru ... php?t=3973
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Aussie Chris
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Aussie Chris »

Good work Pokey, thanks mate!
I gots some reading to do, got a Carlton Draught in front of me after work (wouldnt mind one of your PBR's they are a good beer) and am reading these links now.

Pop Watts, she is mine, check your pm's.

Chris