OT-Sighting a 1911

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

OT-Sighting a 1911

Post by Kansas Ed »

I'm a poor shot by most's standards. Ever since I suffered a shoulder injury in my 20's I have a hard time keeping a handgun at arms length. Matter of fact, the best way I can keep steady is to sight across my body..IE: turn sideways left side toward the target and lean my right arm against my chest fully extended to the left side of my body.

I changed sights on 2 of my Colt 1911's this weekend, and got to thinking about sighting them in. So my question is this...knowing that autos function substantially different dependant upon the stiffness of the grip, I got to thinking about point of impact and sight setting off of a bag. So the question is: Does shooting off the bag for sighting a 1911 change the POI to the sights enough to be of concern for offhand shooting?

Ed
DennisB
Levergunner 2.0

Re: OT-Sighting a 1911

Post by DennisB »

I take a normal 2 handed hold and rest just my wrists on sand bags when sighting in most handguns. With this setup I find little difference in my standing 2 handed hold.

Dennis.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Kansas Ed wrote:Does shooting off the bag for sighting a 1911 change the POI to the sights enough to be of concern for offhand shooting?
Ed
No. I just rest the magazine on the sandbag, there isn't way for the bag to interfere with the recoil; the main cause of a POI change between a off-hand and rested hold.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I had custom sights put on my old Government Model and when I sighted it in I got down into Keith's braced sitting position using my knees to support my arms. I've found that that position gives me the same point of impact as does off hand.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I use a two handed hold and rest my hands on a towel or sandbags for sighting in. Then I know the piece is shooting my sights point of aim to point of impact. After that it's all on me holding the sights where they need to be.

Your stance almost sounds like an extreme Weaver to the left. Sometimes we just have to do what we have to do. Our bodies won't allow us to do anything else. I can't shoot a classic right handed bullseye stance anymore because of shoulder surgeries. Oh well, it's okay. I don't shoot bullseye and I can shoot Weaver stance still.
Old Law Dawg
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I rest my hands on the support (bag) not letting the gun touch anything.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Hobie wrote:I rest my hands on the support (bag) not letting the gun touch anything.
Same here.

You could always try shooting your 1911 the way this guy does... :wink:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Hobie wrote:I rest my hands on the support (bag) not letting the gun touch anything.
+1
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I rest my forearms on something, & gun touches nothing.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV