Hats Off To: Roy E. Weatherby

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Hats Off To: Roy E. Weatherby

Post by cshold »

From humble beginnings as a Kansas farm boy, Roy E. Weatherby grew to become founder of Weatherby, Inc. and one of the most recognized and influential figures in the firearms industry. From his home base in South Gate, CA, he championed the benefits of ultra high velocity by creating proprietary Weatherby Magnum cartridges. He also developed the legendary Mark V® rifle action. It has been said that no man influenced the world of big game hunting more than Roy Weatherby. Even John Wayne, world-famous cultural icon, was a Weatherby fan. Behind the scenes, Weatherby was also recognized for his efforts on behalf of wildlife conservation, hunter education and safety. Throughout his life, he spent countless hours volunteering his time and services, promoting the benefits of ethical sport hunting.

Note: “The .257 Weatherby Magnum was known to have been his favorite cartridge.”
Lobo
Member Emeritus

Re: Hats Off To: Roy E. Weatherby

Post by Lobo »

SALUTE !
Lobo in West Virginia
Old List Veteran..Five Years..Five Hundred Posts
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Indeed! He created something that didn't exist. Little 257 Weatherby story - a friend and his wife went on a caribou hunt he needed four shots with his 257 W - she dropped hers with a single shot with her 250 Savage Rem Model 7. :)
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

Old Savage wrote:Indeed! He created something that didn't exist. Little 257 Weatherby story - a friend and his wife went on a caribou hunt he needed four shots with his 257 W - she dropped hers with a single shot with her 250 Savage Rem Model 7. :)
I'm a fan of both of these cartridges. The Weatherby is a real screamer and the 250 is so efficient and can do so much for it's size.

Old Savage, can you explain why the 250 Savage beat the 257 Weatherby in your story? My guess would be shot placement and/or bullet difference.

Don
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

I'm with you!

Back in the 80s I sent various "gun people" a gun lover poster and a couple of booklets I'd made-up. To my great surprise I got a phone response from Roy Weatherby thanking me for these things. Very pleasant person to talk to.

I had a German made MK V in 257 Weatherby. This one did not have the high gloss but did have the typical MK stock. Hind sight but I really should still have it. I don't know of any other cartridge that has a better reputation of instant kills than this one. Medium sized big game, of course. I wish all the bolt gun manufacturers made their bolt handles big like on the MK V. Of course the short bolt throw is great, too.

Don
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Old Savage wrote:Indeed! He created something that didn't exist. Little 257 Weatherby story - a friend and his wife went on a caribou hunt he needed four shots with his 257 W - she dropped hers with a single shot with her 250 Savage Rem Model 7. :)
I agree OS,
IT don't get much better than a 99 in 250-3000 savage. :wink:
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

An interesting fellow I am sure but,,,, I do struggle with the magnumitis and the illusion it creates.

I am intrigued by his case design.

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Nath wrote:An interesting fellow I am sure but,,,, I do struggle with the magnumitis and the illusion it creates.

I am intrigued by his case design.

Nath.
Nath I really think the last name had something to do with it.
There's just something very cool about The name Weatherby.
Also his timing was spot on right for those magnum rounds he developed.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Nath wrote:An interesting fellow I am sure but,,,, I do struggle with the magnumitis and the illusion it creates. I am intrigued by his case design. Nath.
Well, he WAS a businessman! But that said, there's not much bad I can think to say about accurate, flat shooting rifles. Especially when you have the choice of so many chamberings such that there's no need to have more gun than is necessary.

I really like the Mark V. Not so much the traditional glossy stock, but the action itself very much so.

Best,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Post by pharmseller »

The first bull I ever shot clean through was with a .300 WBY and a Nosler Partition. A few years later I shot this bull at a little over 100 yards. Took out the 9th rib on his left side (quartering to me) and found the bullet next to his right femur. That's a lot of penetration!

P
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

Regarding rifles, when I ain't shooting Marlins or Winchesters I'm shooting Weatherbys. I don't own a 257 WM yet, but in coues deer country, I can't think of anything better.