I think I did ok in vegas

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
spencer516
Levergunner 1.0

I think I did ok in vegas

Post by spencer516 »

I made my rounds in Las vegas last weekend, while the wife gambled. At on of the local gun emporiums, I came across a Winchestr 1895. I had been looking for one to convert to 35 Whelen. So, I really needed to find a a 30-06. The first one I came acroos was a 30-40 Krag. Drats. At Another shop, I located another. This one was unmarked. I enquired as to the chambering that it too was 30-40 krag. Double drats. I left and thought about for more than a day. I returned to the second shop, as it's price was lower and the gun was in better shape. I figured that if it was to be, it will be. The rifle was still there. I purchased it and took the stock off of it to fit in my suitcase for the flight home. It hasa three screws on the left side. I assume those were for some knid of scope set up. Also on the left side is a base to a peep sight. The original rear sight is missing. Its a little worn on the barrel, but the reciever and the internals are 90%. Its not marked in the usual way on top of the barrel, so I'll have to take a chamber cast to make sure that it is actually a 30-40 Krag.
Thanks,
Tom
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Re: I think I did ok in vegas

Post by salvo »

Hey now, don't be hi-grading the gun shops here in Vegas :mrgreen:
Congrats!
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Tom,

Not too bad a find. That's a steel Lyman sight base, notice the rust. You might be able to find the aperture bar somewhere. Some plug screws will take care of the scope base holes.

Looks like a great project gun to me.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

You could always turn it into a 35 Winchester (And if you need dies, I have a spare set FS--shameless plug ya know).

Good cartridge. You could also do a 38-72Win or a 405 Win with the same gun.
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

Yep you got a Krag. Krags and Brits had 28" barrels. 405, 30-03, 35 Win, and 30-06 had 24". 40-72 and 38-72 were 26", The 7.62x54R was a different cat altogether.

IMO the 35 was top o the line for a cartridge. But IIRC the Krag is a longer case so without some judicious comparison of chamber drawings may or may not be a good candidate for a rechamber.

Still a nice old rifle in Krag. Load it up with heavy weight bullets and the game won't know the difference. My 35 Win likes the 225gr Sierra, so going to a 220gr in the Krag should do just as well.

Ed