25-20 Marlin

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

25-20 Marlin

Post by KCSO »

I have Shylocks complaint," Ah my daughter, ah my ducats"...

I finished a really nice 1894 Marlin for a friend. He sent it to be reblued and the shop LOST the locking block. In addition the barrel was completely shot so he brought it over with parts missing and asked to have it fixed and relined. The gun now has a new locking block, new ejector, new bore and is a slick little rifle with a round barrel 24" long and a CARBINE buttplate. I test fired the gun and it will put them in one ragged hole at 50 yards. Now here's the rub, I did this as a favor for a friend and have way too much time in it and NOW he want's to sell the gun. No way will I ever get 1/2 what I put into the gun so II will probably have to just scrape up the bucks and buy it myself. I really wasn't planning to buy another gun now but I sure don't want to see it leave for another home after all the work I put in it. Darn!!!! This means I will have to buy casea and dies and a bullet mould and... "Ah my daughter, ah my ducats".
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 25-20 Marlin

Post by hfcable »

it is an amazing and versatile little cartridge; i have an original 1894 marlin short rifle in that caliber and it is just great. you wont regret having it.......though i realize it wasnt your plan. good luck!
cable
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by airedaleman »

Great little rifle. Enjoy!

Does it have a true over the heel carbine buttplate, or is it the so-called "S" type? Some Marlin people are trying to build a data base on Model 94's. Any further info you can add regarding barrel markings, tang markings (including the star - or lack thereof), serial number and location, and whether the stock has the bullseye or not would be of great interest...
Riamh Nar Dhruid O Spairn Lann
- motto on the Irish Regiments' flags
w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

Post by w30wcf »

KCSO,
Neat rifle! There is a very informative, long thread on the .25-20 here.
http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/inde ... 881.0.html

w30wcf
aka John Kort
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka w44wcf (black powder)
NRA Life member
.22 WCF, .30 WCF, .44 WCF Cartridge Historian
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

portiatoshylock.jpg
enjoy. :mrgreen:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

w30wcf wrote:KCSO,
Neat rifle! There is a very informative, long thread on the .25-20 here.
http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/inde ... 881.0.html

w30wcf
Wow, that guy has apparently fired more than his fair share of 25-20. Great information.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I've owned, shot, hunted, and reloaded the .25-20 for 40 yrs. I don't have a Marlin, but do own 2 '92 Winchester carbines and a Remington Model 25R carbine. All shoot like a house afire and have for years. My go to load is 11 grains 2400 behind either a 60 grain OPE or FP. Cases last just about forever. IMR 4198 works well, too. 12.5 grains works for me with the same bullets. It's a fun little cartridge that will surprise you what it can do. I have popped coyotes at nearly 100 yds on several occasions and they never travel far before keeling over. A little HP in the boiler room folds 'em up in their tracks. Ground squirrels? Far too many to mention. :D
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

That's a fantastic thread John and, as usual, you had some wonderful posts to spice it up!
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson