OT - Krav Maga anyone?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

OT - Krav Maga anyone?

Post by awp101 »

Had to swing by the Doc yesterday to renew a prescription and of course they had to do the weigh in thing. Holy cow! :shock: I was about 15# heavier than I thought I was which is 30-35# more than I want to be to begin with.

I've been thinking of adding something to my "routine" of walking the dog (which I haven't done since it warmed up :roll: ). For a couple of years I've seen Krav Maga "schools" opening up around here and I'm wondering if it's worth looking into. I'm not interested in competitions, I'm looking for another way to exercise and why not learn a little self defence in the process?

Anyone here into KM? How do you like it? Are the principles as real world as they claim? What should I look for in a school or instructor?

Thanks! :mrgreen:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT - Krav Maga anyone?

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I have no experience with this but I'm seeing an Uzi in your future :lol:
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Never heard of it. :?: :?:
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Sounds like it would go naturally with a Galil - you could work rifle drills into your routine. :D

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

O.S.O.K. wrote:I have no experience with this but I'm seeing an Uzi in your future :lol:
oly has it right, I'd roll a Galil first. Preferably in 7.62... :mrgreen:

The Uzi is fine for what it is if you have a happy switch. Beyond that they're too heavy as a pistol, the carbine looks funny and a SBR semi-auto doesn't do much for me. Or at least that's what I tell myself as I go to sleep each night since it's out of the financial picture.... :lol:

Rusty, it's a martial art developed by the Israelis and taught to the IDF.
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

I loved it. Loved it. I highly recommend it.

Scuttle has it that Moni Aizik the founder of Commando Krav Maga has somehow misrepresented his credentials or something like that, but don't let that stop you. It is one fine down and dirty get out of trouble NOW kind of fighting.

You will lose weight.

IMO, find a school that has a solid women's program with women instructors. I feel that a school with a strong women's program will be less testosterone laden.

Even with that, prepare to get your ..... kicked and leave each session bruised and exhausted and very happy.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

How about a nice bicycle, and carry a big stick? :lol:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

It's quite the art. I've seen a couple specials about it and I've got to say it's different than any Japanese/Chinese art I've ever seen before.
Old Law Dawg
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

When I left the service of Uncle Sam I vowed I'd never run again unless the following two things happened: I was out of ammo and they were still heading towards me. Bikes kind of fall into that category as well... :lol:

Kickboxing and home gym things don't interest me much because the other thing I'm looking at is the SD aspect.

We didn't get hand to hand training in Basic. The Powers That Be announced it was too cold (I'm not kidding) and the DS would have something else scheduled for us. And as our DS told us "Yer not missing anything. It's just a bunch of stuff that will get your butt kicked in a bar fight.".

So my thought is to kill two birds with one stone. Get a little piece of mind and beneficial exercise. I'll find a couple of the local places and see if I can watch a session or two to get the feel. I'm not looking to wade into a bar and clear it out Bruce Lee style. I just want to be able to handle a threat to me and mine if need be. Pretty much the reason I took a CCW course a couple of years back. :mrgreen:
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
Cliff
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Cliff »

Never heard of Krav Maga, but did do a lot of drills with the M1Garand back in the day. By the time I was done I think the rifle weight was about 4 or 5 lbs. I recently retrieved one of my Garands and it must weigh around 20 pounds or so. Do they gain weight when they are in a vault or not being used? :) . Just curious ATB
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

But don't take a class from a woman. They're way harder than the men.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Tycer wrote:But don't take a class from a woman. They're way harder than the men.
:shock:

But if I were to enjoy it...never mind.... :shock: :? :o

:lol:
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Just do like my brother and join the local gym. He signed up for the aerobics class but he was the only guy, and always was in the back row. He was very regular there though I think his neck got he most workout. :lol:
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Post by LeverBob »

Howdy Pard!

KM is nothing more than meat & potatoes Kenpo. I'm a 6th Degree BB in Parker Kenpo, 5th in Elwood family style Kenpo & 6th BB in JuFuDo Kenpo Combat Systems. I've refrained from mentioning this all these years on this board because there are a ton of fraudulent, bogus teachers out there teaching falsehoods and making false claims. I am a very private person.

I come from GM Ed Parker (10th) thru Grand Master Dave Hebler (10th). All you have to do to verify, is google him up & you'll know where I come from. I'm an old Kenpo boy....

My current GM is Senior Founding GM Mike Alva Wakeling Sr., founder of the JuFuDo Kenpo System. Google him up too! His first teacher was Bruce Lee in Seattle, Wa. I will back up all that I have said in this blog and more.

I will give my lineage if called upon...however, Sensai Salvo is a bonified Parker BB & can verify my claims.

Krav Maga would be an excellent start for you and I think you will find that there are hidden talents that you will discover and that will be brought out in the right way. You might well be surprised at the talents you have been imbued with by G-D. KM is "ABC" Kenpo & an excellent form of Kenpo. It is not a sport form of Karate, it IS a true combat art, just like Parker or JuFuDo. The training is rigorous...you will be in real good shape after 3 months.

I hope you do walk in the Dojo...I would be thrilled if you did.

Blessings to you & yours...

LB
Professor Pearson 6th BB
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

LeverBob, Bill Marron taught my Sensei, Elizabeth Boyce. I took Hawaiian Kenpo from her while in college. I haven't kept it up, and really should. Sensei Boyce taught nothing flashy, but it seemed that she thought the high flying kicks would get you hurt if you ran into someone who was serious. Her style was more punches and very specific kicks. Sensei Hikaru Murata, from whom I took a class, taught both defensive and offensive kicks in the Okinawan style.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Post by LeverBob »

Howdy Pillar!

Sensei Boyce is exactly right. Why use a high kick which opens up the groin & the inside of the legs. Both are weak areas (the body naturally covers them, the outside of a leg or arm are a lot tougher for example). It also takes longer to perform. The stance to perform a high kick like that isn't stable. It opens one to be taken to the ground easily. Ed Parker said in response to that same question: "Why try to kick to the head (high) when I can kick out their legs and then kick them in the head when they are on their knees."

We were taught in class that our kicks should be no higher than the solar plexus. If you need to go higher use your arms & a variety of punches, chops, slices, pokes, etc. To get within range use a stance change or foot manuever. A kick is nothing more than an extended step. My Arts are about 60/40% in favor of the arms. In other words, we were taught how to fight in an old phone booth. Long range or high kicking creates to many openings, even if the legs are five times stronger than your arms. This is detailed in Parker's "Web of Knowledge" and in his 5 volume set " Infinite Insights Into Kenpo". His books are available on line from a number of sources such as Amazon.com. The 8 points of attack or defense, the universal pattern, etc., offer tremendous knowledge into modern combat.

Kara Ho is W.K.S. Chow's original Hawaiian art, which he taught to Parker. Parker Kenpo is his interpretation. Each practicioner creates their own art from the training. My art is LeverBob Kenpo & so on. Goju Shuri (Okinawan Kenpo) is No's interpretation Of Shorinju Kenpo Jujutsu (James Mitosi's art, 34th Patriarch).

I strongly urge you as a peer to start back up, it sounds like you loved it & had a very fine Sensei. My first teacher was GM Rev. Dennis Harris in Norco, Ca. He was a 3rd when I started with him. His wife Jo was an absolute monster on basics. Stances, stances, stances she would scream as she drove us into the ground. We even had to perform about two hrs. of basics & advanced basics during our 8 hour BB test, which was before the old O.A.K.K.A board headed by GM Dave Hebler. I still have a picture of me being kicked across the studio by Mrs. Harris when I took my 1st Degree. My face was all screwed up & twisted. It left a bruise the size of a grapefruit on my gut. I couldn't have been any happier and stood up a different man-she was right. I would be forever changed. Sorry about the length of this...

Go get yours Pard!
LB