OT elk in the pasture

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

OT elk in the pasture

Post by BigSky56 »

Went to a mtn pasture this afternoon to check the fences for turn out in june found these girls taking a rest. 5 adult cows and not one yearling calf wolves have been busy. danny
Last edited by BigSky56 on Sat May 12, 2012 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT elk in the pasture

Post by FWiedner »

They look pretty healthy.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Do the poor wolves have to wait all the way until June to get a fresh supply of calves? Maybe the FS would want you to turn out a little early if they thought the endangered wolf was getting kinda' hungry for beef.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

The Game and Fish report I heard a while back said they beleived the wolves and bears stressed the elk, resulting in less fertility, less calves, and poorer calf survival, not just eating them. One herd is about 1/3 of its number from about 8-10 years ago (over 20K), IIRC regarding the timeline.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Nice pics, Danny. What's the Fish, Fur and Feathers gonna do when there's no more cows? I suppose they'll re-introduce elk. :roll:
Old Law Dawg
Jarhead
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jarhead »

:D Mighty fine, Danny....The Mountain Lions are causing problems in this neck of the woods. The Muleys have suffered more than the Elk. I have a big 'Tom' working behind my place in the Wilderness area. They mess with the new born calves too. I haven't ever killed a Mountain Lion, but that's next on my list of things to do. Have a great day. Mike
Semper Fi
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Kim 60 days after the pres signed the 2011 budget the wolves will be delisted back to the 2009 rules which will let us whack them if they are in the stock and F&G can if they are depleting the game these old boys up here I heard they got a early start on it.
Mike lions are predictable if they made a kill they will go to the closest water that has cover to digest the meat and lay up for a few hours if its a fresh couple days old kill the cat will come back and be camped with a visual of the kill up hill of it and more than a couple of escape routes. glass the best cover area from a distance. If there are ravens or eagles working the kill but setting in the trees that means that cat is in the area. A 22 mag is my preferred cat round in rifle or pistol. danny
Jarhead
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jarhead »

Danny,

Thanks for the tip on Mountain Lions. Oregon 'outlawed' huntin' em' with dogs, so they have gotten out of hand. Dadgum 'tree huggers' and 'earth muffins.' Oregon F&G advised me that I have the busiest Mountain Lion crossing in Oregon in the wilderness behind my place. Ya just don't see them very often at night. Can't bait either. " Shoot shovel and shut up" I reckon is the only answer.

Mike
Semper Fi
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Well we don't have wolves in Virginia , but I kinda think we do have Mountain Lions contrary to what the DGIF wants to say !

My whole take on the thing then is if I see a cougar/mountain lion around here then I shoot him !

Since we "don't have them in this state" I can't get in trouble for shooting something we don't have !

I hold the same opinion for the stinking wolves or coyotes !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !