Sharps rifle question

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Otto
Levergunner 3.0

Sharps rifle question

Post by Otto »

I was watching Glory last night (or Monday?) and, during the scene wherein rifles were issued, I could swear that Morgan Freeman called them "fifty-seven caliber Sharps". Is this just Hollywood nonsense?
"...In this present crisis, government isn't the solution to the problem; government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

"...all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed." Declaration of Independence
Martini450
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Sharps rifle question

Post by Martini450 »

Haven't seen the film in a lot of years, but I thought he said ".57 calibre Enfield rifled musket", and then something like "bet you could hit somethin' with that!". Now you have me wanting to watch it again-great movie!
Otto
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Otto »

Martini450 wrote:Haven't seen the film in a lot of years, but I thought he said ".57 calibre Enfield rifled musket", and then something like "bet you could hit somethin' with that!". Now you have me wanting to watch it again-great movie!
You have me doubting myself, so I need to watch it again, but my question is really about the "fifty-seven caliber". Is there such a thing? I know little about frontloaders, but had thought .54 and .58 to be the common calibers in that range.
"...In this present crisis, government isn't the solution to the problem; government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

"...all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed." Declaration of Independence
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

IIRC the Enfields were known as .577s but were 58 cal like the rest of the muskets were... Kinda like a .357 bullet being 38 caliber .. same thing but called different...Prolly got called 57 caliber too...
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY