OT Nature can be cruel

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

OT Nature can be cruel

Post by TedH »

I took a turkey hunt this morning on the folks farm. Turkeys were not cooperating at all, I covered every corner of the property and had no luck at all, but that's hunting. While I was covering some ground trying to scare up a gobble, I did run across this unfortunate yearling whitetail. Poor little thing tried to jump the fence and got it's back legs hung up between the strands of barb wire. A bad way to go for the little bugger for sure.

NRA Life Member
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: OT Nature can be cruel

Post by Griff »

I'm not 100% sure "cruel" is the right word, but... "indifference" could certainly fill that blank!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Yep i hate those kind of things. :(
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Yep, saw a doe hung like that on an interstate boundary fence a few years ago. I'd say it happens more than we know.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Otto
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Otto »

I thought wild animals passed away peacefully in their sleep, surrounded by all their furry little woodland friends?

My sister and her husband once rescued a deer in such a predicament. They drove past it several days in a row, assuming it to be dead. One day, as they passed by, my sister thought she saw it kick. They went back and found it tangled in a fence, just a foot or two from a stream in the middle of an Ohio July. Brother-in-law cut the wire and the thing took off like a rocket.
"...In this present crisis, government isn't the solution to the problem; government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

"...all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed." Declaration of Independence
Fiddler
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Fiddler »

Isn't it amazing how the barbed-wire fence evolved through the ages to become a predator of the whitetail deer?
Same goes for paved highways. Apex predators.
Nature is indeed amazing! :wink:
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Fiddler wrote:Isn't it amazing how the barbed-wire fence evolved through the ages to become a predator of the whitetail deer?
Same goes for paved highways. Apex predators.
Nature is indeed amazing! :wink:

I might suggest the word 'hazard' to suit your purpose.

Only living creatures can be predators.

:wink:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Nate C.
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Nate C. »

That happens a lot more than folks probably care to think about.
Texas State Rifle Association http://www.tsra.com

Freemason. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freemasonry
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Was almost ready to euthanize one with a broken leg AND dislocated hip, but hesitant since I was at a friends house who isn't much into hunting/guns/shooting, but fortunately local LEO's showed up to do the dirty work.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

One way to help out the wildlife is to put in a wildlife gate at major crossings 2 wood posts at 5-6' apart with a wood cross member at 36" cows and horses wont go over it unless pushed by predators and elk moose and deer clear it fine and fawns/calves can crawl under it. I dont worry about beef calves as they crawl in and out of a barb wire fence anyway till they get 250 lbs. Keeps the elk and moose from tearing down fences :shock: . danny
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

At the ranch I have twice pull fawns or a young deer off off barbed wire fences this year. It is a task that requires a good technique that I have learned through time. Take your coat off and throw it over their heads and they usually settle down some. Be aware of those hooves, they are sharp. It helps to lift and put them back in the direction they came from because the barbs are usually dug in as their weight falls forward. A lot of times they will jump right back over cause that's where the mother went. If they are not hurt bad, they clear it much higher the second time. :)
"That'll Be The Day"
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

funny that you refer to barbed wire as "nature"
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

I hate barbed wire, darn stuff has ruined many clothes of mine and I hate seeing game die this way :(

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

One year in West Virginia I shot a large, healthy doe one snowy morning. She did me the favor of sliding down the hill to the dirt road. Upon inspection, she had 3 legs! One back leg was missing from the "knee" down. The slightly protruding bone was smooth and well rounded. Inside, she had about a pint and a half of green puss in that ham. Otherwise, she ran right along with a group of deer and was obviously the largest and oldest of them, so I picked her. I can only guess that she got that leg stuck in barbed wire. There were some small healed puncture wounds around the stump that were probably caused by the spurs of the wire when it was tangled around her leg. Deer are amazingly resilient. Barbed wire is amazingly dangerous.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member