Replica 1873's in .357

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Otto
Levergunner 3.0

Replica 1873's in .357

Post by Otto »

Will these stand up to actual .357 or are they intended for cowboy loads only?
"...In this present crisis, government isn't the solution to the problem; government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

"...all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed." Declaration of Independence
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Replica 1873's in .357

Post by pwl44m »

I found one and the Guys steered Me away from It. Said it wouldn't stand up.
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

Mine broke with mild loads, although I don't think the loads had anything to do with it.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

We just had a big multi-page thread about this exact same question a couple weeks ago. Perhaps a search will find it and save us all from doing it all over again.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

I believe the manuals for just about all of them state they will take any commercial load, but will not take +P loads.
A good target upper limit CUP is 20,000 psi, which is a bit more than cowboy loads.
But, yes, 39,000 is right out, and I wouldn't try any of the hot 180-gr.-bullet loads available.
perry owens
Levergunner 3.0

Post by perry owens »

I bought a used Euroarms .357 1873 carbine in 1989. Never fired a factory .357 in it so I can't comment but my standard handload is 15 grains of 2400 under a 158gr LRNFP and I have fired over 20,000 through it without any problems at all.
Perry Owens
"Always carry a firearm east of Aldgate Watson."
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Perry,

That is very close to or at the old factory level. That "IS NOT" a light load by any stretch of the imagination. :mrgreen:

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Otto
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Otto »

J Miller wrote:We just had a big multi-page thread about this exact same question a couple weeks ago. Perhaps a search will find it and save us all from doing it all over again.

Joe
I did a search, just now, and found two or three threads wherein it is discussed, but the verdict seems unclear. Think I'll pass. I already have three 92's anyway.
"...In this present crisis, government isn't the solution to the problem; government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

"...all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed." Declaration of Independence
perry owens
Levergunner 3.0

Post by perry owens »

Perry,

That is very close to or at the old factory level. That "IS NOT" a light load by any stretch of the imagination. :mrgreen:

Joe
Joe, I agree, it's from the old Hercules reloading guide and is listed as a pistol and revolver load.It chronos at 1640 fps, just below the muzzle velocity limit for our range.
Perry Owens
"Always carry a firearm east of Aldgate Watson."
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

perry owens wrote:
Perry,

Joe
Joe, I agree, it's from the old Hercules reloading guide and is listed as a pistol and revolver load.It chronos at 1640 fps, just below the muzzle velocity limit for our range.
Perry Owens
Ah yes, the Hercules manuals where they had the real loads. Not the watered down wimpy ones.
I still look to them for my loads far more than the new manuals.

Joe
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Post by LeverBob »

For me, that is one of the percs of being an "old guy." Being around for a long time, having old sources & knowledge of same makes them feel as though they have developed their "talents". Newer people have to dig through all the "lawsuit stuff" and try to find the truth, when, we old people already know what the truth is through long experience.

I don't own a .357 lever, however, it is in my near future & I already know how to load for it after 45 yrs. experience with the cartridge in sixguns & reading a train load of posts from this site & from those that have the experience. G-D bless Leverguns.com.

"Old age & treachery will overcome youth & inexperience every time". Unknown.

(Always wanted a '73 Winny).

LB