Got my new Davidson's special in today!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Udy
Levergunner 2.0

Got my new Davidson's special in today!

Post by Udy »

Here she is, .44Mag Bisley Vaquero. How did I do?
I'll fire it this weekend, and hope to heck it shoots to point of aim.

Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Got my new Davidson's special in today!

Post by Pitchy »

Nice, 8) if the sight hasn`t been altered it will probably shoot low.
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I really LOVE the Ruger Bisley guns, Vaquero or Blackhawk. 8) 8) 8)

I ordered a frame in February to convert one of my 'regular' ones, but still they keep postponing it with updated 'backorder' dates... :evil:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Very nice. It amazes me that Ruger can keep that slim of a top strap on a 44 mag without blowing. But, I'll guarantee they've tested it extensively and are sure it won't.
Old Law Dawg
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Sweet !! Love my Rugers! :D
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

That's just plain flat beautiful. Awesome hunting tool.

glad you got it

Grizz
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

That's a dandy Udi!
I have a 4 5/8" .44 Bisley Vaquero, one of my favorite packing pistols!

ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Scott, every time I see that dovetailed front sight I fall in love with it anew. Wasn't that a FA front sight?
Old Law Dawg
kkoi
Levergunner

Post by kkoi »

Gents, those are handsome revolvers. I hope I'm not hijacking the thread by asking a question about 44 mag recoil. I sold a 1980-vintage Super Blackhawk with 7 1/2 inch barrel and square trigger guard because it felt front-heavy and cumbersome, and I could not get a proper hold on the grip. I was going to buy a new Super Blackhawk with 4 5/8 inch barrel and round trigger guard. The grip (not a Bisley) has a different shape from the old SB and fit my hand much better. The guys at the gun store talked me out of the purchase by saying that the recoil from a 44 mag shot propelled through a 4 5/8 barrel is almost unbearable. I realize that perceived recoil depends on the shooter, but I'd be interested in your observations. Like Salvo, I wanted to use the piece as a "carry gun."
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

She's gonna shoot low with full house loads. The vaqueros, even in .44 manglem, have a tall enough front sight to accomodate a 240 grain bullet at around 800 fps and shoot to POA. Faster prints lower, so if yer intent on shooting "real" .44 mag loads, yer gonna need a file and a couple of boxes of ammo.
Certified gun nut
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

kimwcook, yes Freedom Arms sell the front sight, they really came up with a winner! Looks even better on a fixed sight FA gun :D
kkoi, I chopped the exact same Super down to 4 5/8" that you had and have shot it side by side with the Bisley, the Bisley grip really does make a difference with full power loads.
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

udy, is that one with the writing on the bottom of the barrel?
i have one like that and wonder why they did not do them all like that. :wink:
very nice any way you cut it. 8)
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I had a 5 1/2" Bisquero once that was the best .44 I've ever had. It shot great! That was one of those I should have kept. You won't be sorry.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

SWEET
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Lobo
Member Emeritus

Post by Lobo »

kkoi,

Get your 44......start with 44 special loads and work up to as stout as you want. If it's going to be a carry gun, you probably don't want full house 44 Mag loads anyway.....shoot the bad guy and three by-standers behind him! Practice will get you where you want to go.
Lobo in West Virginia
Old List Veteran..Five Years..Five Hundred Posts
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

The short supers with standard type grip frames aren't too bad. I have one, and have had standard Supers cut down to 4 5/8" a couple times. The Super grip frames seem to have less felt recoil, like the Bisleys also, but I just prefer the feel of the regular size grip frames. The square back trigger guards on the standard Supers always pinched my trigger finger as the clearence increased as the trigger came back and the gun recoiled.

The top strap isn't the main strength issue of the gun, the cylinder is, tho the fixed sight Ruger frame isn't any thinner than the Smith 44's.

Nice lookin shooter Udy.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

salvo wrote:Image
Cool gun - is that a factory barrel...? How about the sights...? It looks thicker than the factory ones, and I've never seen that front sight type on a Ruger.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

AJMD429, it is the factory barrel, I just dovetailed the front sight that I bought from Freedom Arms. I could not see the stainless front sight, had to do something and that FA sight works great!
I also removed the Ruger billboard on the other side of the barrel while I was at it :twisted:

ScottS

-- Ronald Reagan
Udy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Udy »

pokey wrote:udy, is that one with the writing on the bottom of the barrel?
i have one like that and wonder why they did not do them all like that. :wink:
very nice any way you cut it. 8)
Pokey-yes its got an acceptable amount of jiberish hiding under the barrel, can't even really tell its there unless you were looking for it. Good spot for it if its gotta be there.

Glad to hear from you fellers it should have pleanty of height to the sight. I can always make it shorter, and I guess if windage is a problem I really like what salvo did, not a bad idea, and looks sharp. Hopefully it will not be needed.

I intend to load up some 330gr. WLNGC's for it around 1000fps I don't think would be to much to ask in this one. Hope it likes them I got scads of them, but havn't loaded a single one of them yet, been sitting on the shelf nigh on 2 years now. Its about the load I wan't if it works.
http://www.competitor-pistol.com/430330WLNGC.html
kkoi
Levergunner

Post by kkoi »

Thank you, gents, for your insights on the 44 mag. This is a great site for essential information, although "enabling" (related to gun buying) can go overboard. I should have been more clear on my "carry gun" objective. I'm fortunate to live in a part of the west where I can wander all day without seeing any sign of civilization except the occasional airplane contrail. The "carry gun" that accompanies me is a 45 Colt USFA Single Action. I thought I might need a 44 mag because 45 Colt ammo is hard to find, and also when I'm in the high country, an encounter with a bear is a possibility. Oh, and there is a levergun connection. I have a Rossi 1892 in 45 Colt, and covet one in 44 mag.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Thats a dandy :mrgreen:
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Great Gun,
It is not the critic who counts
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

kkoi wrote:The "carry gun" that accompanies me is a 45 Colt USFA Single Action....... I have a Rossi 1892 in 45 Colt
I think you are well set even though I am a .44 only guy. If you are having trouble finding ammuntion either buy them via the internet or else learn to reload. Reloading the .45 will open a whole new world.

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Congrats!