My latest acquisition (photo)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

My latest acquisition (photo)

Post by KirkD »

Boys, I like to shoot old leverguns, the older the better. The average age of my leverguns is around 100 years. However, there are two modern leverguns that really tempt me, the Browning 1886 SRC and the Cimarron Winchester 1876 SRC. Well, there is only one to tempt me now, because a beautiful Browning 1886 SRC chambered in 45-70 has fallen into my hands. It even has some nice figuring in the buttstock wood, as you can see. Here is the photo ....

Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Hobie

Re: My latest acquisition (photo)

Post by Hobie »

These are great guns. You are going to love it.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Not too shabby.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

That really is a good looking piece. hmmmmmmm.....How will it be stored? :wink:
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Gobblerforge wrote:That really is a good looking piece. hmmmmmmm.....How will it be stored? :wink:
Gobbler
By gum, it is going to be hanging on some of those gorgeous wrought iron hooks that you make! :D I'll be putting in an order for a bunch of them soon as soon as I figure out how many and what size. As for the rest of you who are wondering about what I'm talking about, here is a photo of a rack I made with some of Gobbler's hooks. I'll be using quarter sawn oak for the back boards, but the boards will be nicely finished around the edges with a router.

Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Super great, grats dude. 8) :)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Jeff H
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jeff H »

VERY nice!
You are going to use it, right?
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

That would be the only modern lever I would buy. That sure is a nice one. :mrgreen:
"That'll Be The Day"
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

That's a nice one! Congrats.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Jeff H wrote:VERY nice!
You are going to use it, right?
I've already had it to the range!
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Congrats! +1 you're going to love it...actually sounds like the relationship's already begun and settling in!
Mine has an odd dark blemish or stain "in" the buttstock finish no one can quite explain. But it's certainly post original purchase (not me). Almost as if the poly finish saw some excessive heat some time, but there's no texture change and the wood/form does not appear to be physically damaged. I'm not quite complaining as I don't worry as much about scratching it up (and helped me get without paying a king's ransom a few years back--which meant making it possible in the first place!). The rest of the gun is 99%. Someone (I assume) relaced the carbine ladder sight--in favor of a standard Win stepped item--and which I want back just because. Some day I would like to replace the stock--just don't know whether original Browning/Miroku wood or (leaning toward) custom/walnut with an original Win finish. In some ways a good quandry to have (other than the extra $) as most B-86s are "too nice" to be worth/affordable messing with, so this is one way to "have to" go original Win!...The "dilemma" sure doesn't keep me from enjoying--it's just that it deserves better!

Welcome to the 86 club!
More pics btw!
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Kirk,
Nice snag! As you may or not know, its all my son uses for elk. I had it here for awhile and let me tell you something, I shot loads out of that gun that would jump out of my hands. As it was bored tight, .458 diameter bullets did just great. A mess of RL-7 with a cast bullet does wonders in the Browning

Personally, I think the Brownings look too nice. If I ever snag one, the first thing I'm gonna do is strip off the shiney finish and redo it with oil. Then the blue will come off the hammer, lever, trigger, and probably the loading gate---but thats me :D -----------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

Not much for .45-70 lever guns ( I know, it's a sin) but dang brother that thing is sweet! Congrats on the find.

LK
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

OK now - I think that is the top of the food chain!
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Beautiful Rifle.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Excellent acquisition, Kirk. Very nice.
Old Law Dawg
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Post by rbertalotto »

I'm experiencing severe "lever envy"................AND, it's in the proper chambering!
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I can see why even a guy who doesn't care for 'modern' guns would like that gun. Cool.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Excellent! Congratulations Kirk. I love mine; I'm sure you will love yours. Looking forward to the range reports! :D
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

looks like a great buy Kirk,I know that you'll enjoy it.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

Congrats, Kirk! Enjoy it! jd45. Hope to snag one myself someday! jd45
TMair
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TMair »

Good for you!!
I have a Browning 1886 Carbine, and a Browning 71 Carbine, I like the 348 better then the 45-70, but I like the looks/feel of the 1886 better then the 71!
Terry
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Looks like a great find, congrats. I guess I'm a recoil whimp. My .45-70 Browning 1886 kicks like a mule... I imagine those light little carbines are more on the order of my 7mm RemMag!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Griff wrote:Looks like a great find, congrats. I guess I'm a recoil whimp. My .45-70 Browning 1886 kicks like a mule... I imagine those light little carbines are more on the order of my 7mm RemMag!
The first shot I took with it at the range on Monday was across my chronograph. It gave me a boot and a half when I fired it. I looked at the chrono reading ... 1,725 fps with a 405 grain cast bullet. Not my idea of a good time. I called over to my friend, "Hey, you want to try this? You won't have to check to see if it went off when you pull the trigger on these loads!" He took a shot, dug the steel buttplate out of his shoulder, and agreed. My normal load is around 1,350 fps.
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

An as new Browning 1886 carbine came into a local shop a few months back and I struggled mightily with myself about buying it. I loved the look and feel of it, but me being blessed with a very full gun safe, the wife was against the idea. I already have a USRAC 1886 take-down .45-70, and recoil is indeed very stout with 405 grain bullets . Thoughts of heavy recoil and the wife's protests held me back long enough for some other lucky fellow to buy it.

I have found that the RCBS 45-300-FN gas check bullet shoots very well in my 1886 with a lot less recoil. Using 60% wheel weights and 40% linotype they drop at 306 grains from my mould. I apply gas checks and size to .459. Accuracy is as good as my cast 405 grain bullets. I very seldom ever shoot jacketed bullets, but they too are very accurate.

I hope you really enjoy that new Browning, Kirk. It certainly is a fine carbine!
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Mighty proud of ya' Kirk :D

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Yea, I dropped from 405s to 325s with a max of about 1450fps some time back. I've been casting them of about 6:1 (WW/Lino). Accuracy hasn't been the best... but then my shootin's dropped off a lot in the last 10 years. Doesn't matter much... any trigger time lost isn't quickly made back up.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Post by rbertalotto »

[img]I%20already%20have%20a%20USRAC%201886%20take-down%20.45-70[/img]

Hate to Hijack...........But I really, really NEED a take-down lever action rifle, and I had no idea this rifle existed.

As long as the OP doesn't mind, I'd love to see some pictures.............
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

i bought one for Alnitak for his 50th birthday (got it from mod71alaska) and he promptly went out and took a bison with it. Very very nice Kirk. wish you years of happiness.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Maybe the best of the new and old worlds blended together. Load mine with the gummy 325's. Gonna try the new 250's when i get the time. A 300 yard open sighted Elk gun and a brown bear crusher all in 1. 8)
Aussie Chris
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Aussie Chris »

Very nice! Not as cool as your Winchester 1886 light weight takedown you sold though :mrgreen:

Forgive my ignorance, I am still researching these '86 repro's, Browning Japan made a run of these, being approx 7,000 in 1986 yeah? I take it they have not been available since then? I would love an 1886 to go with my old 1894 but an original may be out of the question at this point.

Chris
A man can never have too many WINCHESTERS...
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

I think the 1986 run that Browning did was for the full size rifle. They did another run several years later for the SRC. You can still find them up for auction here and there.
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

[quote="KirkDThe first shot I took with it at the range on Monday was across my chronograph. It gave me a boot and a half when I fired it. I looked at the chrono reading ... 1,725 fps with a 405 grain cast bullet. Not my idea of a good time. I called over to my friend, "Hey, you want to try this? You won't have to check to see if it went off when you pull the trigger on these loads!" He took a shot, dug the steel buttplate out of his shoulder, and agreed. My normal load is around 1,350 fps.[/quote]
I read that and chuckled and cringed at the same time as I thought to myself "Yet ANOTHER reason to love the 38WCF". :lol:
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
Aussie Chris
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Aussie Chris »

Thanks Kirk. Ill keep my eyes open down here but they are not very common here at all.

The saddle ring carbine does look great and I can imagine the recoil from the old 45-70! Nice purchase and enjoy that recoil! :mrgreen:

Chris
A man can never have too many WINCHESTERS...