new lmarlins

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
two bit okie
Levergunner 2.0

new lmarlins

Post by two bit okie »

has anyone had the chance to hold and shoot the new marlin-rmingtons? or even heard any reports?
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Re: new lmarlins

Post by .45colt »

On the new ones it seems quality can be all over the place.many of the members at the Marlinowners have sent their guns (308/338EX) back to Rem. one of the machines at Remington allegidly got messed up on the shipment from Marlin and the recivers were not drilled perfect and many rifles were sent out with misaligned barrels,causing them to shoot very low. Remington has said they are waiteing on the new recivers before they can fix the guns. some have opted to just get a refund rather than wait.
I bought a MX .338 last year.it has JM stamped on the barrel and is easily the most accurate rifle I have ever had,but I am no target shooter.the way to check them before You buy one is to ask the dealer to mount a scope before Yopu buy it and bore-sight it.if it has the problem they will have trouble getting the scope on target. this was a target I shot a few weeks ago with the new Rem 250gr ammo. http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... 338+marlin
444Hal
Levergunner 1.0

Post by 444Hal »

I ordered my 8th Marlin, a 336ss day after Christmas. But they didn’t start making them at the new factory till March and received mine later that month. First observation I found the rear sight was only half on and when I cycled it, I discovered the inner lever edges were not smoothed and sliced across the back of my fingers. Upon taking it home, in better light, what stood out was the fact the bottom tang showed about 1/8th inch below the stock.
But the real big problem was that the chamber was out of spec and would pop the primers half way out and blow off heads, along with sticking the brass. Had to send it back to be rebarreled and it seems ok now with the first box of Rem 50’s through it. There is no way anybody checked or fired this thing before leaving the factory.
I think I’ll wait a while before buying another (new) one.
Levergunning & Handloading
Yeah, I roll my own pilgrim
pdentrem
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pdentrem »

I thought only the China based companies use ISO Head in the Sand Quality controls. :o
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

New name should be Maringtons. :mrgreen:
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

I like Marlins, but owning one has always been a case of "you pays your money and you takes your chances". My go-to rifle is a 336A made in 1950 that I got a really good deal on because it did the "Marlin Jam #1". I have a late 80's with exactly the same problem that was cured with exactly the same fix. And I bought an 1895 made in 2002 that had such a misshapen extractor that it wouldn't even come close to allowing a round to feed. Pretty obvious to me that Marlin has not test-fired their newly made rifles for at least the last 60 years.

One of these years they will get around to necking down their MX cartridge to 6mm or .25 and when they do I'll have to have one and will not be surprised if I have to do some work on it to make it function.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry