Winchester 1892 Takedown, 20" barrel, 45LC (Modern) Comments

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Winchester 1892 Takedown, 20" barrel, 45LC (Modern) Comments

Post by rbertalotto »

I'm thinking about ordering a New Winchester 1892 Takedown with the 20" Octagon barrel in 45LC.......Would be a neat pack gun and I could travel with it on the motorcycle.

Anyone have any experience with the Japanese 1892 rifles?
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
450ak
Levergunner

Re: Winchester 1892 Takedown, 20" barrel, 45LC (Modern) Comments

Post by 450ak »

I have one of the 24" rifles since the 90's or whenever they came out. It is accurate, loaded with the RCBS 300 grain semiwadcutter gas check bullet ot 1550 fps, hard hitting. It is my winter packing rifle as it holds 13 rounds. We snow shoe quite a bit and run into bull bison and wolves. I put a bolt peep and a sourdough front sight. The factory sights are just poor for anything. It has several thousand rounds, maybe lots more, I have had for 15 years or so and no problems.
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

I have a couple of the Japanese Winchesters, and they exhibit exceptional fit and finish. The only real drawback of these rifles is their tang safety-rebounding hammer system. It makes for a very heavy trigger pull, and can result in an occasional failure to fire. I have modified mine to eliminate the rebounding hammer. Trigger pull has been successfully lightened to under three pounds and the sliding tang safeties still work, although I don't feel the need to use them.
Here is a link to the modification:

http://home.roadrunner.com/~jimstags/win1892/index.htm

SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Post by rbertalotto »

Shasta,

Excellent article you wrote..........Thanks! It's bookmarked for when my rifle comes in.
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
450ak
Levergunner

Post by 450ak »

All I did to mine was cut back the idiotic leg on the idiotic rebound dingus and have never had misfire or light strike in thousands of rounds. I would just love to meet the jackass attorney who decided we had to have this stuff. My 1895 405 has never had misfire or light strike. My 94 7/30 has had a problem but is fixed.
I am pretty sure original 92 parts will work and will try it soon. Just no time lately, it is springtime in the Rockies and lots to do.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I second the sentiment that the fit, finish and overall quality are the best I've seen in a lever gun, other than the Miroku made Browning lever guns.

I'm replacing the hammer, trigger, mainspring etc in my Miroku Winchester 92 with Browning parts. Yes, it's an added cost or trouble, but I'm happier with it this way, so it's worthwhile to me, and I appreciate the overall quality of the gun. A lesser gun that I didnt have to work on wouldn't still give me the same level of satisfaction. You may be happy with it the way it comes, or with minor tuning of the rebound. I believe it can be tuned to function properly (rebound), but with less power on the rebound side, to give better firing reliability, and the trigger can be tuned for a good pull weight and clean.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
450ak
Levergunner

Post by 450ak »

Hi Malmute!!
The trigger pull on my rifle is pretty good as it is. I have the parts to change it over and rid myself of the little tiny springs and widgits and return it to a simple reliable system that works very well and has since 1892(duh).
A little work on the carrier will buy a bit longer cartridge length if you want/need. These are pretty good rifles and can be made better with a little work. I lust for one of the newer ones with a curved lever/pistol grip. A little cutting and welding would make it work with my dainty mitts........................................................... just need money.(sigh)
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

rbertalotto wrote:Shasta,

Excellent article you wrote..........Thanks! It's bookmarked for when my rifle comes in.
I'm not the guy who wrote the article, but I'll join you in noting it is an excellent article. I too have it bookmarked for future reference.

SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta