Winchester 33 WCF caliber - Help me

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
okdee
Levergunner 2.0

Winchester 33 WCF caliber - Help me

Post by okdee »

I did a small search here, and did not see the questions or answers that I am searching for.

So,,,I have passed by a couple of Winchesters in 33WCF, due to my lack of knowledge of the caliber.

So, to further my edification.... :D

Does anyone really shoot this caliber?

Is the ammo easy to locate and buy?

Does anyone really reload this caliber?

I apprecaite any wise and sage thoughts! :)

Oklahoma Dee
FAMILY
NRA LIFE
TSRA
SASS
HGCA
Life is Grand! Live it!

OKDEE
Alan Wood
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Winchester 33 WCF caliber - Help me

Post by Alan Wood »

I don't know if anyone shoots 33 winchester regularly. Amunition is available at http://ows-ammo.com/store/index.php?mai ... ucts_id=11 but rather expensive.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

You can easily make brass out of 45-70. The bullets that are flat nose are few, but those few are decent enough for just about any task. I am looking for just the right TD in 33WCF to come along. Up to elk at a reasonable range it would be a lot of fun with character.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I shoot a couple hundred rounds a year through mine. Lee makes reloading die set and will make a FCD for it(I have one) and several sources are around for bullets( I use cast now) but Hawk bullets amkes one, hornady used to make one that is the standard but getting harder to find. To make 33 wcf out of 45-70 brass I run mine through a 38-56 die and then a 33wcf die but I did just use the 33 wcf die CAREFULLY until i found a 38-56 die. If you have any more questions on that round PM me. I am taking it with me next November on a elk/mulie hunt hoping i can get a chance to shoot an elk with the old girl,it got a doe for me this year. Tom
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

BuffaloArms.com now makes the 200 gr hornady interlock bullet and 33 win brass is available at their site also. danny
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Love my .33WCF!

Scrouged up some brass @ a couple shows and some the guys here
have helped me out with brass, bullets and loads ( Thanks Mike and Jack!).

This boar was @#150. That 200 gr Hornady did a number and left a
blood trail a blind man could follow!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

it seems to me the 33 wcf is the most commomn original 86 for sale...
midway has brass available, reloading dies, even reforming dies to convert 45-70 brass.
Finding bullets is another problem..I am wondering if you can use 338 flatpoints...
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

The cartridge is roughly the ballistic equivalent of the .35 Remington (or it might be the other way around... :wink: ).
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
okdee
Levergunner 2.0

Post by okdee »

Thanks for all this great feelin for the 33 wcf! I think I can handle gettin more dies and bullets and brass! Already did the 45-75, so this should not be a big deal. Specially with a straight wall!
Thank you all kindly! :D

Oklahoma Dee
FAMILY
NRA LIFE
TSRA
SASS
HGCA
Life is Grand! Live it!

OKDEE
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

I had one, old family gun, shot it quite a bit in lever action silhouette, finally donated it to the local museum. This is a fine cartridge, not a hot rod by any means but I can personally name 2 elk and a moose that fell with one shot each. :D Brass is easily formed with just the regular RCBS dies, just take your 45-70 case, lube well and run it up into the SEATING die first, then the full lenth sizing die. NOTE: this does not work very well with Starline brass, that stuff is really tough.

I still have 6 boxes of the Hornady #3315 200 grain flatpoint bullets I would sell for the Buffalo Arms price plus a little shipping.